Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

GE Buys Out Vivendi: Clears way For Comcast/NBC Deal

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,418 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 03:42 PM

Was the "Disneyfication" of ABC and ESPN good for viewers?
I don't think so, and I don't think Comcasting NBC will be good either.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork

Icon

• Registered
  • 893 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 05:31 PM

I thought I had read and/or heard, that Comcast may spin NBC off and actually sell it off with the O/O stations they have. Possibly to appease the FCC/FTC. I wouldn't be shocked if you also see some of the other lower performaning networks moved.

Also, Ted Griggs of CSN Bay Area/California was on KNBR in SF today and the Comcast/NBC was brought up, he said they have been told they can't talk about the deal at all. He then made a joke about it saying the NBC people have had no problem talking all day about the deal (I think he was talking about NBC 11/KNTV who they share the SF Giants rights with) but all CSN/Comast people were told not to talk a word about the deal. I am guessing the NBC11 (O/O) are hoping for the deal becuase their station has been stripped down to almost nothing within the news divsion, their helicopter was grounded, Sat truck was sold, most veteran reports were let go, and for a while the weather forecast were being filmed out of LA at Universal headquaters.

#43 OFFLINE   dreadlk

dreadlk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 05:46 PM

A WAKE UP CALL PEOPLE

Lets stick to the facts

1) GE sucks at running broadcast stations, nobody not even GE denies that.

2) GE is selling Comcast 51% of the shares. What they are in fact saying is that they want Comcast to steer the ship while they relax and watch while getting 49% of the profits.

3) Any thoughts people are having of Comcast making NBC or any of NBCU channels become exclusive to comcast is CRAZY! GE is not selling them these assets so they can dump 70% of the customer base and sink NBC into the ground while building up Comcast. They expect Comcast to grow the revenue base, not to kill it. GE is looking for their 49% to grow in value not shrink. Nuff said.

4) I think we can all agree that Obama is not one to jump into anything without getting all the angles, so you can bet this deal will a number of measures put in by the FCC.
As to whether it will be what everyone wants, nobody knows, but we do know that they won't have a blank check with the FCC.

#44 OFFLINE   bicker1

bicker1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 07:35 PM

Was the "Disneyfication" of ABC and ESPN good for viewers?

Good point... there is really no rational basis for assuming that "good for viewers" is the legitimate metric for fairness.

#45 OFFLINE   bicker1

bicker1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 08:01 PM

Engadget is announcing that it is now a done-deal.

http://www.engadget....unced-thursday/

#46 OFFLINE   Karen

Karen

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 316 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 09:41 PM

The Associated Press is reporting that the Comcast, NBC deal will face tough antitrust review.

http://www.google.co...JLfdzAD9CBH1781

#47 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,399 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 03 December 2009 - 12:43 AM

I could indeed, but answer this: Are you really inquiring?

Yes, I'm really inquiring. I'm dubious, given your obvious and circuitous avoidance of answering that you even understand the question (or perhaps what the term "fairness" means).

I really want to know why you think that it is fair that Comcast isn't allowing other distributors reasonable access to HD feeds of Comcast Sports Philly and CSN NW.

Please note that I'm not asking for an explanation of why you think I might not understand your viewpoint nor am I seeking some sort of anticipatory exposition on what you think I might be thinking (or not).

#48 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,548 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 03 December 2009 - 02:17 AM

One thing for certain, after reading about the deal in this AP article, GE is going to want this to work financially in the next few years:

The deal is expected to call for Comcast to spend $6.5 billion in cash and contribute cable channels worth $7.25 billion for its 51 percent stake in NBC Universal. GE would hold the rest, though it could sell half of its portion after 3 1/2 years and the remainder after seven years.

The new NBC Universal also is expected to borrow $9.1 billion — part of which will be used to cover the $5.8 billion that GE is paying to acquire Vivendi SA's 20 percent stake in NBC Universal.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#49 OFFLINE   bicker1

bicker1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 04:46 AM

Yes, I'm really inquiring. I'm dubious, given your obvious and circuitous avoidance of answering that you even understand the question (or perhaps what the term "fairness" means).

Bull. I say that because I did provide you the answer, right after the material you quoted, and you decided to ignore it.

I'm sorry but I'm not convinced that you really would like to hear what you claim. I'll give you a chance, though. Let's see if you'll accept a perspective other than yours, or just reply back, as you seem to have been doing up to now, that all that matters is what you want/like.

There are already several content providers providing entertainment and sports programming, made available to service providers. That would not change. Disney, Viacom, CBS, Time Warner, etc., all offer a variety of channels. Comcast would simply become the purveyor of the channels that GE's NBCU has been offering. And beyond that, the marketplace will motivate additional competition as the marketplace deigns that there is a demand for more competition.

I've got you pegged. You clearly have no interest in the actual basis for fairness in our economy.

#50 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,644 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 03 December 2009 - 05:17 AM

A WAKE UP CALL PEOPLE

Lets stick to the facts

1) GE sucks at running broadcast stations, nobody not even GE denies that.

2) GE is selling Comcast 51% of the shares. What they are in fact saying is that they want Comcast to steer the ship while they relax and watch while getting 49% of the profits.

3) Any thoughts people are having of Comcast making NBC or any of NBCU channels become exclusive to comcast is CRAZY! GE is not selling them these assets so they can dump 70% of the customer base and sink NBC into the ground while building up Comcast. They expect Comcast to grow the revenue base, not to kill it. GE is looking for their 49% to grow in value not shrink. Nuff said.

4) I think we can all agree that Obama is not one to jump into anything without getting all the angles, so you can bet this deal will a number of measures put in by the FCC.
As to whether it will be what everyone wants, nobody knows, but we do know that they won't have a blank check with the FCC.

Let hope you are correct and Comcast doens't jack up the carriage fees for USA and SyFy they did with VS.

#51 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,418 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 05:56 AM

GE is in horrible financial shape right now, and this makes sense for their shareholders. And shareholders are the ONLY reason a public, for-profit company exists.

Actually, GE may be the poster child for "to big to fail". They write home mortgages, build railroad locomotives, make washing machines, and run a TV network (and a whole lot more). That's way too big.

They're also probably going to sell their appliance division to LG or a Chinese company.

I wonder what Thomas Edison would think...

#52 OFFLINE   bicker1

bicker1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 06:09 AM

He would probably think, "What the heck is a HDTV?" (He'd be so out of his element in today's world that what he would think about GE is utterly inconsequential.)

#53 OFFLINE   bushead

bushead

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 07:59 AM

Bull. I say that because I did provide you the answer, right after the material you quoted, and you decided to ignore it. I've got you pegged. You clearly have no interest in the actual basis for fairness in our economy.

I also do not see how that answers the question. Comcast has already shown that they will withold content they produce/own in order to give advantage to their distribution arm. They will not allow any satellite operator access to Philadelphia sports programming within the Philadelphia territory. If you live in the Philly area, you do not get Flyers, Sixers or Phillies games unless you purchase cable.

How is that "fair"? And what makes you certain they would not try to leverage NBC in a similar fashion?

#54 ONLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,355 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 03 December 2009 - 08:01 AM

Well, maybe now my local Comcast franchise will finally add MSNBC HD! :joy:

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#55 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,081 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 08:02 AM

Looks like based on this morning's Comcast announcement in the other thread...this is all "old news" already...:lol:
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#56 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,068 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 08:52 AM

Engadget is announcing that it is now a done-deal.

http://www.engadget....unced-thursday/

CNN is now too:

http://money.cnn.com...t_nbc/index.htm
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#57 OFFLINE   Maverickster

Maverickster

Godfather

• Registered
  • 331 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 09:17 AM

It seems that whenever people don't like something, they try to make it sound more than just a dislike, such as by trying to drop emotionally-laden words, like "monopoly". :rolleyes:

Then regulators will make them share what fairness dictates must be shared.

There is a difference between what is fair and what someone may like.

I'm assuming you prefer the term "integration" to "monopoly". The other posters here are spot on. This wasn't a regulatory problem when GE acquired it because there was no vertical "integration" issue posed there. Here, there obviously is. IF (and I think that's a pretty big "if") this gets past the FTC, I suspect this will be the most tightly monitored and regulated entity in the industry (by a ways).

--Mav

Edited by Maverickster, 03 December 2009 - 09:23 AM.

#58 OFFLINE   bicker1

bicker1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 10:08 AM

I also do not see how that answers the question. Comcast has already shown that they will withold content they produce/own in order to give advantage to their distribution arm.

You choose to see it that way. If they were actually involved in an actual restraint of trade, then the government would have taken complaints like that seriously. They didn't. The FCC -- NOT a friend of Comcast's -- made a decision ten years ago that you disagree with but -- and this is the key point -- their say, with regard to what is and is not fair, prevails -- not yours.

Remember: Comcast does offer SportsNet to its terrestrial competitors, and DirecTV has exclusive sports programming of its own -- NFL Sunday Ticket for example. Exclusivity is not a crime. It's a legitimate aspect of the business, and your preferred providers practice it.

You are equating your own personal disappointment with the level to which our society considers your personal preferences overriding with there actually being something bad going on. After ten years, isn't it about time to accept the reality?

And what makes you certain they would not try to leverage NBC in a similar fashion?

What makes you certain they would? What makes you certain that the government would let them violate the law?

#59 OFFLINE   bicker1

bicker1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 10:10 AM

I'm assuming you prefer the term "integration" to "monopoly".

I do, indeed, prefer the correct terminology, rather than incorrect terminology, especially when the incorrect terminology tends to make people think something wrong is going on.

#60 OFFLINE   bushead

bushead

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 10:47 AM

You choose to see it that way. If they were actually involved in an actual restraint of trade, then the government would have taken complaints like that seriously. They didn't. The FCC -- NOT a friend of Comcast's -- made a decision ten years ago that you disagree with but -- and this is the key point -- their say, with regard to what is and is not fair, prevails -- not yours.

Remember: Comcast does offer SportsNet to its terrestrial competitors, and DirecTV has exclusive sports programming of its own -- NFL Sunday Ticket for example. Exclusivity is not a crime. It's a legitimate aspect of the business, and your preferred providers practice it.

You are equating your own personal disappointment with the level to which our society considers your personal preferences overriding with there actually being something bad going on. After ten years, isn't it about time to accept the reality?

What makes you certain they would? What makes you certain that the government would let them violate the law?

I am sorry but that is not the case. This is not a 10 year old issue, the FCC recently looked at Time Warner and Comcast's practice of witholding regional sports nets from other providers through the "terrestrial loophole" in 2006 when the two companies bought/merged with Adelphia cable who had fallen into bankrupcy. As a condition of the merger, the FCC ruled that they could no longer utilize said loophole and must provide all distributers access to their RSN's and other programming no matter how it is delieverd - with the sole exception being Comcast's home town of Philadelphia.

So, the FCC did take complaints like mine serious and found the practice in question unfair and stopped it - but as politics go they made a concession to allow Comcast to continue its anti-competitive practices in Philadelphia.

While I am not certain what the government will do in this case, the have recently shown they will allow Comcast to continue a practice that has been determined "unfair" if the right people are lobbying for it.

Sunday ticket and witholding local sports programming to local residents are two very different issues.

http://www.broadcast...elphia_Deal.php

Protected By... spam firewall...And...