Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Bad Luck or What?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   guisep

guisep

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 12:00 AM

About a month ago my 722 starting having problems with recorded data. It would either freeze or the audio would cut out and I had to stop the show and restart it to get audio back. I finally called tech support about two weeks ago and new receiver sent.. Well early last week this receiver starting having the same problems..a phone call later and another new receiver sent..This one being two days old froze tonight after a full pull the plug reboot I get the dreaded message about it not able to record data...uggg another tech call and yep another 722 being sent.. what a POS... boy I wish I hated this box so I could dump DISH....

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,467 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 03:25 PM

Most likely what.

Check your grounding, it may also be a lnb problem, itmay be a problem with your household power.

Many people have reported multiple replacements of VIP DVR receivers with the same failure, that points to other factors other than the reciever as the culprit.
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#3 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,855 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 06 December 2009 - 03:48 PM

Or moved out of heat oven - from closed cabinet.

#4 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 09:49 PM

Put receiver on UPS?
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#5 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 10:53 PM

Some people have reported multiple swap out. My gut tells me if you swap out the box multiple times and you are seeing the exact same issue it boils down to a couple of possibilities.

1) Heat. Is your DVR in an enclosed cabinet. If so, need to figure out if you are getting some heat build up. Does it have plenty of space. Is it sitting on top of an AVReceiver etc.

2) Electrical? - Covered above. UPS or power conditionar.

3) External influences - possible a bad LNB or something else in your wiring.

4) User is performing a use case that others are not doing resulting in the issue. Some people have had issues with having lots of Dish Passes (40+) or lots of timers event 550+.

It is one thing to get a couple of DVRs that exhibit different issues, it is another to keep experiencing the same thing. If you have swapped out multiple times and are seeing these same things I suggest at external influences like above that might be cause the box to not be stable.

In general the 722 is a very stable box.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#6 OFFLINE   guisep

guisep

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 01:38 AM

As for electrical my entire rack is on a conditioner.

Heat, could be but my first 622 lasted for years then my upgraded 722 again for about a year.. then bam... I even moved equipment away on this latest install and it died after 24 hours. My rack is not closed...

bad wiring or LNB?? could be something went bad.. how to tell is the question.. Disk just runs through the usual reboot items.. does the check switch find these?

I do have some timers but I keep about 20 new program timers going.. that should not do it.. I hope...

The strange thing is when I do a sys info screen the HDD comes up green on this newest unit...even boots normal sometimes but show the dreaded screen after a few hours..

#7 OFFLINE   mercator1

mercator1

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 03:36 PM

These boxes are heat prone, and kind of suck. I'm about to need my 4th unit. I've install a USB powered fan to blow across it, but it still heats up to an average of about 120. I've started having accessibility issues again. I have DirecTV Tivo boxes for 10+ years, and I never had a single issue. I will be going back to DirecTV in the Spring when their partnership with Tivo starts up again.

#8 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,855 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 17 December 2009 - 03:38 PM

If you owning it you could follow my mod.

#9 OFFLINE   eichenberg

eichenberg

Legend

• Registered
  • 128 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 08:32 PM

I had this same exact problem with my 622...mine started in Feb of 09. They sent me a new box and by August 09 it was acting up again. Called tech andthey told me that since they already sent me a new box and no other customers were having the same issue I had to live with it. Excuse me, live it...I wasn't paying my monthly bill for DVR access to live with a problem where I could not watch shows I recorded...So I canceled and went to Direct TV (but I even had massive trouble doing that)...My wife says it was the best decision I have ever made (other than proposing to her)
Vizio SV470XVT1A
Yamaha RX-V663 DD 7.1
Dishnetwork
Vip 722k
DP 625
Soon to be Hopper/Joey System
PS3
Wii

Protected By... spam firewall...And...