Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Could DTV ADD Built In Wifi To Its Boxes?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_CraigerCSM_*

Guest_CraigerCSM_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2009 - 12:31 PM

This could be a way to do VOD better and not have a wifi router hooked up to it Or maybe they could activate the usb port and let you add a usb wifi adapter?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,573 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 12:37 PM

Any DirecTV DVR out there now has an ethernet port which can be used either wired or wireless with the appropriate adapter.

Having it built-in would increase the cost of the unit. Not everyone needs it. This is the same reasoning why DirecTV removed the ATSC tuners from the HR series DVRs, starting with the HR21.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#3 OFFLINE   naijai

naijai

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 12:43 PM

This could be a way to do VOD better and not have a wifi router hooked up to it Or maybe they could activate the usb port and let you add a usb wifi adapter?

Activating the usb ports for wifi adapters is another can of worms
1. Every usb wifi card requires drivers and the dvr has no way to download these or install it to itself
2. With the multitude of adapters out there it will be next to impossible to pre-install the drivers like the receiver already has for the 600N & 610N ethernet adapters
Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.
Winston Churchill

DIRECTV employee since May 2003.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views DO NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#4 Guest_CraigerCSM_*

Guest_CraigerCSM_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2009 - 12:49 PM

Activating the usb ports for wifi adapters is another can of worms
1. Every usb wifi card requires drivers and the dvr has no way to download these or install it to itself
2. With the multitude of adapters out there it will be next to impossible to pre-install the drivers like the receiver already has for the 600N & 610N ethernet adapters

The why have the USB ports on the boxes what would they be for?

#5 Guest_CraigerCSM_*

Guest_CraigerCSM_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2009 - 12:53 PM

Any DirecTV DVR out there now has an ethernet port which can be used either wired or wireless with the appropriate adapter.

Having it built-in would increase the cost of the unit. Not everyone needs it. This is the same reasoning why DirecTV removed the ATSC tuners from the HR series DVRs, starting with the HR21.

So you could use something like this hooked up to the ethernet port and get VOD?

http://www.amazon.co...g/dp/B0002MH3HE

#6 OFFLINE   smiddy

smiddy

Tain't ogre til its ogre

• Registered
  • 15,306 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 12:58 PM

Later expansion...whatever that is. You can use them as a serial interface to control the units now if you have the right equipment. You can also use them for the AM-21, that is about it as far as I'm aware.
Aaron 'smiddy' Smith

#7 OFFLINE   smiddy

smiddy

Tain't ogre til its ogre

• Registered
  • 15,306 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 12:59 PM

So you could use something like this hooked up to the ethernet port and get VOD?

http://www.amazon.co...g/dp/B0002MH3HE

More like this: http://www.amazon.co...cp_ob_e_title_3
Aaron 'smiddy' Smith

#8 OFFLINE   Knowledge

Knowledge

AllStar

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 12:59 PM

Why build it in when they can charge you $80 per receiver you want to hook up?

1 HR23-700 (owned)networked hard wired
1 R16-500 (owned)
3 D12-500 (owned)
SWiM Networked
Comcast 10Mb connection (Grandfathered in at $25)
40in 1080p Toshiba Regza HDMI

#9 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,229 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 01:02 PM

Thats $80 for A e-net to wifi box. They also have power line units for $50 or you can run your own cable.

#10 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,265 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 06 December 2009 - 01:03 PM

Who is they? DirecTV doesn't get any money if you purchase one of the wireless ethernet adapters. The only "semi-wireless" solution that DirecTV sells are the PowerLine adapters. I say "semi-wireless" since you are not running cable all across your house, but only to an electrical outlet nearby.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#11 Guest_CraigerCSM_*

Guest_CraigerCSM_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2009 - 01:05 PM

More like this: http://www.amazon.co...cp_ob_e_title_3

I wouldn't want to pay that much for that. I would rather just use PPV. Or rent a BluRay movie since I have a PS3. I would do PPV if the sound quality was better. I like not having the black bars on PPV HD.

#12 OFFLINE   smiddy

smiddy

Tain't ogre til its ogre

• Registered
  • 15,306 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 01:13 PM

I wouldn't want to pay that much for that. I would rather just use PPV. Or rent a BluRay movie since I have a PS3. I would do PPV if the sound quality was better. I like not having the black bars on PPV HD.

Yeah, better value. I'm not sure why DirecTV went with these...
Aaron 'smiddy' Smith

#13 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,265 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 06 December 2009 - 01:21 PM

You can actually use any wireless bridge. You just need to configure it first before hooking it up to the receiver if it is not one of the two DirecTV supports. As for just using PPV, remember the network connectivity is not just used to download VOD.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#14 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,958 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 06 December 2009 - 01:23 PM

A couple of uses:

1. The AM21 OTA tuner requires it
2. Automation (requires a USB<->RS-232 adapter)

The vaporware DIRECTV2Go feature that was to allow transfer to compatible hand held devices was going to use the USB port to communicate.

#15 OFFLINE   DJPellegrino

DJPellegrino

Godfather

• Registered
  • 468 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 01:44 PM

A couple of uses:

1. The AM21 OTA tuner requires it
2. Automation (requires a USB<->RS-232 adapter)

The vaporware DIRECTV2Go feature that was to allow transfer to compatible hand held devices was going to use the USB port to communicate.

Can also be used to charge your cell phone or other USB devices. We use it to recharge the Wii Fit board as well as powering it during use.
Press Here for my setup info

#16 Guest_CraigerCSM_*

Guest_CraigerCSM_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2009 - 01:51 PM

Yeah, better value. I'm not sure why DirecTV went with these...

Do you mean why DTV went with VOD? PPV is so much easier to use than VOD and they have the same movies right? DTV could put the TV Shows on PPV. What TV Shows are available on VOD? Thanks.

#17 OFFLINE   Movieman

Movieman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,044 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 04:04 PM

I dont think we will see this in any boxes if we want to keep their costs low.

#18 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,373 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 06 December 2009 - 04:13 PM

So they can make more money off PPV from people who wont normally have a connection and also the recievers will report in from that location letting them know yes that reciever is at that addy. To me that would be a great answer to the phone line issue. Alot of people these days dont have a home phone. With wifi it might not even be your connection but you could get one from somewhere in the neighborhood probably lol.

#19 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 04:22 PM

Let me throw another related topic out there that's been clunking around in my head for some time..
Why not build in a wireless adapter, and transmit encrypted data from the ODU to the IRD wirelessly, from a Module/Switch located either at the ODU or somewhere centrally in the home?
I understand that coax is much cheaper, but this just seems more efficient. Theoretically if you had a Module/Switch capable of supporting 16-32 tuners, you could run an entire neighborhood from one ODU. This could also support neighbors with LOS/HOA issues.
"He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."

#20 OFFLINE   Tom Servo

Tom Servo

Icon

• Registered
  • 947 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 04:34 PM

Let me throw another related topic out there that's been clunking around in my head for some time..
Why not build in a wireless adapter, and transmit encrypted data from the ODU to the IRD wirelessly, from a Module/Switch located either at the ODU or somewhere centrally in the home?
I understand that coax is much cheaper, but this just seems more efficient. Theoretically if you had a Module/Switch capable of supporting 16-32 tuners, you could run an entire neighborhood from one ODU. This could also support neighbors with LOS/HOA issues.

It sounds good in theory, but there is no dedicated spectrum that I'm aware of that could support short range wide band communications like that. And I mean really wide-band, if you're talking the entire spectrum that the coax carries to the receivers currently. It would be easier if the wireless adapter only sent one channel at a time, but that would defeat the purpose of sharing the dish I suppose.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...