Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Cancel Sunday Ticket and still get the Red Zone Channel (like Comcast)?

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   BlackDynamite

BlackDynamite

Legend

• Registered
  • 294 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 06:58 PM

So I know Comcast subscribers now get the Red Zone Channel for peanuts. Is there a way for Directv subscribers to get it too without paying the $450 (or whatever) for Sunday Ticket + Superfan?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,849 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 06 December 2009 - 07:02 PM

Doubtful. Why would they? It'd be bad business. Redzone for a few bucks ORRRR Sunday Ticket for hundreds?
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#3 OFFLINE   BlackDynamite

BlackDynamite

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 294 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 07:13 PM

Doubtful. Why would they? It'd be bad business. Redzone for a few bucks ORRRR Sunday Ticket for hundreds?

Or you forgot about the 3rd option: guys like me that have the Premier package leave Directv and go to Comcast.

Why should I pay Directv $450 per year (or whatever it is) in addition to the $100 monthly fee )or whatever it is) for the Premiere Package, if I can get the Red Zone Channel for free (included in the basic sports package) with Comcast and Dish Network?

I'm cancelling my Sunday Ticket right after the season (would cancel it now but I don't want to risk it getting cut off in the middle of the season) and if I can't get the Red Zone Channel stand alone next year, Directv is gone, and I'll either get Dish or Comcast.

#4 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,849 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 06 December 2009 - 07:20 PM

Or you forgot about the 3rd option: guys like me that have the Premier package leave Directv and go to Comcast.

Why should I pay Directv $450 per year (or whatever it is) in addition to the $100 monthly fee )or whatever it is) for the Premiere Package, if I can get the Red Zone Channel for free (included in the basic sports package) with Comcast and Dish Network?

I'm cancelling my Sunday Ticket right after the season (would cancel it now but I don't want to risk it getting cut off in the middle of the season) and if I can't get the Red Zone Channel stand alone next year, Directv is gone, and I'll either get Dish or Comcast.

It's certainly your choice to switch, but business sense is to not offer Redzone alone when ST is the golden ticket.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#5 OFFLINE   BlackDynamite

BlackDynamite

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 294 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 07:30 PM

It's certainly your choice to switch, but business sense is to not offer Redzone alone when ST is the golden ticket.

I disagree. I think Sunday Ticket was the golden ticket in the past, before everyone else had the Red Zone Channel. But now that everyone else has the Red Zone Channel, Directv better offer the Red Zone Channel too. Because not everyone wants to pay for the full Sunday Ticket+Superfan. The Red Zone Channel is good enough for a lot of people- including tons of Directv customers that have been paying for Sunday Ticket+Superfan every year and only watching the Red Zone Channel.

Believe me, if I had known you could get the Red Zone Channel for a few bucks per month on Dish Network and Comcast before I paid for Sunday Ticket+Superfan, I would not be with Directv right now. And I am positive there are tons of others who feel the same way. The problem is that news didn't hit the public until most of us had already automatically renewed our Sunday Ticket+Superfan subscriptions.

Directv is going to lose a lot of customers (and money) if they don't offer the Red Zone Channel without Sunday Ticket and Superfan. Hopefully some Directv exec reads this thread and actually thinks about it. I really don't want to switch. I'm comfortable with my Directv service so I would gladly stay with them. But I am not going to pay $450 for Sunday Ticket when all I ever watch is the Red Zone Channel, and I can get it for a few bucks per month on Dish.

Edited by BlackDynamite, 06 December 2009 - 07:35 PM.

#6 OFFLINE   lflorack

lflorack

Godfather

• Registered
  • 472 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 09:03 PM

My personal opinion is that they are two very different products that server two very different customer bases. I'm happy with the full ticket. Others may not be.

My System Diagram: Here System Pix: Here

#7 OFFLINE   Ken984

Ken984

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 09:08 PM

You cannot cancel ST once the first game has kicked off in week 1. No reason to even think about that at this point.

Samsung 65-es6550-HR44-700-Denon AVR-2311CI, XBOX360, Win Media Center 7, Samsung BD-D6500

#8 OFFLINE   Littledude

Littledude

Legend

• Registered
  • 194 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 10:06 PM

I used to feel the same way, until I saw a thread from Tom Robertson that enlightened me to move three LCDs into the front room with my Plasma and have all the games on that I want to see at once. However, even though I will no longer quit because I am far too happy with this Sunday setup, I still feel as you do. The NFL devalued the Sunday Ticket by giving out the Red Zone Channel for peanuts to every other provider. D* is damned if they offer that Red Zone channel "a la carte" and damned if they don't.

#9 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,796 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 10:15 PM

I have to ask, what makes anyone think the red zone channel will be the same price next year as it was this year at other providers, much less that all of them will even have it again.. I was under the impression this was the first year trial run... which means they might change certain aspects, like cost, for next year....

I'm just wondering here..

#10 ONLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,158 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 10:39 PM

I have to ask, what makes anyone think the red zone channel will be the same price next year as it was this year at other providers, much less that all of them will even have it again.. I was under the impression this was the first year trial run... which means they might change certain aspects, like cost, for next year....

They should make HD free. and put game mix, on line and redzone in Super fan at $50.

and $50 for red zone on it's own.

#11 OFFLINE   Littledude

Littledude

Legend

• Registered
  • 194 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 10:51 PM

good point

#12 OFFLINE   BlackDynamite

BlackDynamite

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 294 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 12:50 AM

Well all I know is the Red Zone Channel is pretty much all I watch. If Directv doesn't offer the Red Zone Channel without NFL Sunday Ticket next year, I won't be with Directv (assuming Comcast and Dish have the Red Zone Channel again next year for peanuts, which I'm pretty sure they will).

And I wouldn't even try to cancel my NFL Sunday Ticket until after the season. I just don't even want the risk of it killing the viewing that I have already paid for (like it stops working and I can't tune in next Sunday) and then when I call to get it corrected I get charged again for it or something like that. I'll just set a reminder on my calendar to cancel it after the season, and another reminder to price Dish and Comcast next July or August...

#13 OFFLINE   Sackchamp56

Sackchamp56

Godfather

• Registered
  • 310 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 12:57 AM

i still cant watch the redzone channel. It drives me nuts.

#14 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 08:58 AM

I agree with the OP, if I didn't need to watch my team every Sunday, I'd be happy with just the Red Zone. I will stay with Sunday Ticket no matter what but I think they will have to offer RZ as a stand alone to compete with the other services. I don't know what they were thinking when they agreed to letting competitors have their own Red Zone.

#15 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 10:55 AM

I agree with the OP, if I didn't need to watch my team every Sunday, I'd be happy with just the Red Zone. I will stay with Sunday Ticket no matter what but I think they will have to offer RZ as a stand alone to compete with the other services. I don't know what they were thinking when they agreed to letting competitors have their own Red Zone.

The NFL made the agreement to offer the REDZONE Channel to ther carriers because of Revenue Stream "only" for the owners - NOT shared with thye players. STRIKE is comming up soon & the palyers Cap is being removed next year- so a war$$$ chest needed to be beefed up.

NFL owns the Content- D* is given a choice to carry it (contract) take it or leave it.

Have you watched the NFL rezone being offered- you can see it every monday 5am est on 212, (repeated) from sunday afternoon. I looked at it this AM and I personaly like the D* verzion much better then what the NFL has put together.

Watch it and compare.

#16 OFFLINE   dcowboy7

dcowboy7

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,604 posts
  • LocationPequannock, NJ

Posted 07 December 2009 - 11:37 AM

Is there a way for Directv subscribers to get it too without paying the $450 (or whatever) for Sunday Ticket + Superfan?

The renew price was only $275 & alot got superfan FREE.

+ i like to watch games i want to watch....not have some jerk make me watch what they think is "important."

#17 OFFLINE   Ken984

Ken984

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 12:35 PM

I could not have said it better, idiots at local stations deciding what to show me is why I have ST.

The renew price was only $275 & alot got superfan FREE.

+ i like to watch games i want to watch....not have some jerk make me watch what they think is "important."

Samsung 65-es6550-HR44-700-Denon AVR-2311CI, XBOX360, Win Media Center 7, Samsung BD-D6500

#18 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,394 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 07 December 2009 - 12:48 PM

You cannot cancel ST once the first game has kicked off in week 1. No reason to even think about that at this point.

I think the OP was considering not renewing as opposed to dropping ST now.

#19 OFFLINE   chevyguy559

chevyguy559

Fresno State Bulldog!

• Registered
  • 706 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 07 December 2009 - 02:26 PM

I'll be making a change if DirecTV won't offer a RZC only package of NFL ST or offer NFL RedZone in the Sports Pack....I see my 49ers every week on the local channel, but I LOVE RZC since I'm a fantasy football player.....if I have to pay more than $75-100 to get RZC, I'll go where I can get NFL RedZone for cheaper...it'll be interesting come next August :)

DirecTV Subscriber Since 11/2008
Choice Ultimate - HD Extra - RZC
(2) HR22-100
(1) HR22-100 (Owned)
(1) HR21-100 (Owned)

#20 OFFLINE   Justin23

Justin23

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 02:39 PM

Cheaper is not always better...think about the football off season...

spam firewall