Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

"Flickering" when running DISH vip612 HDMI through my AV receiver?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   beatyourtruck

beatyourtruck

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 11:05 PM

Hello all. Long time reader, finally signed up 8)

My equipment:

TV - Panasonic Plasma 1080i TH-50PX60
AV - Yamaha RX-V1065
SAT - Dish HD VIP-612 w/ DVR

I had HD satellite installed today (yeehah) and while the installer was here activating the receivers, I quickly just used my TV's HDMI2 port and ran the sat connection there. Works great.

All the rest of my HDMI components (PlayStation 3...aka Blue Ray and DVD player) go through my Yamaha receiver and then through a single HDMI output to the TV. So after everything was activated and working, installer guy down the road, I ran the Sat receiver HDMI to the AV receiver into an available HDMI port and sat down to do some drooling over my beautiful new picture.....well, no such luck.

I called it a "flicker" in the post title but it is more like a video on/off, happens about every 2 seconds, screen goes black for 1/2 second (I can still hear the audio) and then the video comes back on.

Things I have tried (with no change in the "flicker"):

1.) 3 different HDMI cables, all known to work good on other HD items
2.) several different HDMI inputs on the AV receiver
3.) tried both of the HDMI inputs on the TV
4.) moving HDMI cables around, away from other wires etc.

I am stumped. I would blame the Satellite receiver but it does work when hooked up directly. So that would make me think it's the AV receiver. BUT all other HDMI components work fine with the Yamaha.

**sigh**

Any help, advice or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   shadough

shadough

Icon

• Registered
  • 684 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 10:50 PM

Have you tried using a different TV? Could it be the refresh rate from the AV to the tv? Is there an adjustment for that in the tv? (Can't say I've ever seen one but who knows, I'm certainly no expert)

Clearly the AV receiver is to blame somehow, but trying a differnt tv *could* solve the issue. Sometimes 2 components just can't aggree on their respective processing.

http://shad.is.dream...fl/collect.html 1000 AFL games and counting......

#3 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,549 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 08 December 2009 - 12:45 AM

Have you tried on the 612 using the control press Menu, 6,8, and changing the output from either 720p or 1080i?

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#4 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,501 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 03:12 PM

HDMI is buggy. Feed the hdmi directly to your TV and use TOSLINK to the amplifier.
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#5 OFFLINE   Jeff_DML

Jeff_DML

Legend

• Registered
  • 231 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 03:54 PM

basically yes, sound like a HDCP(authentication) issue with the 622 and your receiver/tv. If HDCP fails you are supposed to retry every 2 second.
HD absolute OG
VIP722
Kuro

#6 OFFLINE   DMZadony

DMZadony

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 09:55 AM

I joined to reply to this post.

I have the exact same issue as well. The installer left, made the switch around through my AV receiver and the flickering began. Called Dish within an hour of being installed to complain. This was installed on 1/2.

My setup is: VIP612 (606 firmware) | Marantz SR5002 Receiver via HDMI

The signal when plugged directly to the TV is perfect but when going through the receiver this occurs. What occurs is a little more random than an exact 2 second spread. Also it's more of a horizontal band that cuts out at varying heights (but always full width). It seems it starts low down and slowly builds its way up the TV. Then it re-starts but once again the pattern isn't 100% the same every time.

My TV is a Mitsu DLP and whenever this horizontal band appears I can hear the bulb/dlp gizmos at work when normally it's dead silent.

They are coming out this Saturday to try another 612 and if it doesn't work I complained enough to get a 722 upgrade at no cost. Seems the 722 is more reliable according to reports.

I still have my old active direct TV HD dvr sitting right next to it going through the same AV receiver with hdmi. Clearly works for their competition with the same setup. So they can do the comparo when they stop over.

#7 OFFLINE   astrodanco

astrodanco

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 11:24 PM

So, how did it turn out?

#8 OFFLINE   mixwell

mixwell

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 10:24 AM

so, I just had my DISH installed and I am having the same problem.

When connecting my VIP 612 DVR to my Sony STR-DH800 receiver via HDMI, I get the "flickering" of my screen. When I connect the dvr directly to the TV via HDMI, there is no issues.

I guess I can use TOSLINK to get my digital sound, but I would prefer to use the HDMI.

ANYONE get a fix for this???????

#9 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 12:04 PM

so, I just had my DISH installed and I am having the same problem.

When connecting my VIP 612 DVR to my Sony STR-DH800 receiver via HDMI, I get the "flickering" of my screen. When I connect the dvr directly to the TV via HDMI, there is no issues.

I guess I can use TOSLINK to get my digital sound, but I would prefer to use the HDMI.

ANYONE get a fix for this???????

:welcome_s to DBSTalk.

You state "When I connect the dvr directly to the TV via HDMI, there is no issues[sic]."
What fix are you looking for?
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

Protected By... spam firewall...And...