Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Time Warner "Start Over" feature???

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   996911

Go Pack!

• Registered
  • 809 posts
  • LocationTobacco Road, NC

Posted 07 December 2009 - 08:19 AM

Didn't see a thread covering this and not sure if it's regional but here in Raleigh we keep getting a TWC commercial that touts this great feature D* doesn't have called "start over" and TWC does which make them "better".

I'm confused, since last time I checked, when I pull up the menu for a specific show I am watching or getting ready to watch, one of the options is "START OVER". Or if not recorded you can just hit the pause button or rewind to a specific point in the show of your choosing. So you can see my confusion what they are selling.

So what exactly is TWC trying to sell? My guess is for those people stuck back in the 20th century that no DVR and need to "rewind" to the beginning of a show?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 08:37 AM

Looks like it enables you to go back to the beginning of a show that you happen upon while channel surfing and weren't recording. Kinda cool, actually.

http://www.timewarne.../startover.html

#3 OFFLINE   ccsoftball7

ccsoftball7

Godfather

• Registered
  • 354 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 08:41 AM

Looks like it enables you to go back to the beginning of a show that you happen upon while channel surfing and weren't recording. Kinda cool, actually.

It sounds good in practice; however, I don't think it's even deployed here yet...They have been running commercials for several weeks (maybe a couple of months), but the service it not up and running to the best of my knowledge.

Although, I laugh every time I see the commercial...with TWC I can just start the show over...well, with DirecTV, you can just record the freakin' show and watch it whenever... ;)

#4 OFFLINE   lwilli201

lwilli201

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 08:45 AM

It appears that this only works on selected programs. It seems like a version of VOD. The shows are digitally captured so you can go back. Since you can not fast forward, it appears to being captured in real time and probably not available after the show is over.

Edited by lwilli201, 07 December 2009 - 08:53 AM.

1-HR21-100, 2-HR21-700, 1 w/eSATA, all networked, unsupported MRV. AT9 Dish(110 & 119 disabled) and SWM8.

#5 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 08:47 AM

Although, I laugh every time I see the commercial...with TWC I can just start the show over...well, with DirecTV, you can just record the freakin' show and watch it whenever... ;)

Sure, if you recorded it. There would be a bunch of times I would use this. I stumble upon movies once in awhiole that I am 15 minutes into and would love to be able to start at the beginning. Now I have to hope it's on again and record it.

Listen, it's by no means stretch a deal breaker, but it is a cool feature, no matter how lame TWC is. :)

#6 OFFLINE   ccsoftball7

ccsoftball7

Godfather

• Registered
  • 354 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 09:42 AM

Listen, it's by no means stretch a deal breaker, but it is a cool feature, no matter how lame TWC is. :)

I completely agree; however, when you see the commercial the next time, listen to what is said. He's been "sitting there waiting since the show started" while is wife is on the phone...voila...record it. ;) That's all I'm saying. Every time I see the commercial that's what I think.

#7 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,018 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 07 December 2009 - 09:53 AM

They have been running ads in Milwaukee and Racine, WI for the same. The impression that I got was that as long as you were watching, you could start over(without DVR).

If it were anything more than that, I think they would have made a much bigger deal of it.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#8 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 10:07 AM

I completely agree; however, when you see the commercial the next time, listen to what is said. He's been "sitting there waiting since the show started" while is wife is on the phone...voila...record it. ;) That's all I'm saying. Every time I see the commercial that's what I think.

I don't watch commercials. ;)

#9 OFFLINE   ccsoftball7

ccsoftball7

Godfather

• Registered
  • 354 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 10:16 AM

I don't watch commercials. ;)

Touche'...I don't tend to see commercials either, unless it's during a live sporting event.

#10 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 04:41 PM

This is step 1 of a centralized DVR system. If people get hooked using this they can easily be sold on "more".

#11 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,148 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 01:56 PM

This is step 1 of a centralized DVR system. If people get hooked using this they can easily be sold on "more".

I don't think they have a lot bandwidth to make the system work as good as a dvr next to the tv.

#12 OFFLINE   jpl

jpl

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,756 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 02:05 PM

I don't think this is the concept of a centralized DVR - although there are cable companies playing with that concept too (I believe CableVision is). Start over is an interesting concept - it really is designed to allow you to start over from the top of any show currently playing live. It's not just the show you're currently watching. It's designed to work with any show that's currently broadcasting. It's a nice concept, actually. There are lots of times I come across a show that's 15 minutes in, and when I go to look for the next airing, there's nothing scheduled.

To make it work, you really don't need a whole lot of bandwidth - just enough to buffer all the shows currently airing.

#13 OFFLINE   ladannen

ladannen

Legend

• Registered
  • 201 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 07:19 PM

Oceanic Time Warner in Hawaii has has this feature for years.
Not on all channels, but on many.
Is very nice when you find something in the guide, but 15 has passed already. Go to the channel, and the "Start Over" button appears.
It has probably been a year since I used it, but if I remember correctly, it behaves like a DVR (fast forward, rewind, etc).

#14 OFFLINE   xzi

xzi

Icon

• Registered
  • 527 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 08:15 PM

It's been around here in Albany for years... must have been a test market? As far as I know, it's still only works with SD channels but that may have changed. I also believe you CANNOT fastforward, you have to watch the commercials :(

It does work on their regular boxes, it's not a DVR feature and it's obviously just VOD for that "episode" is all. So if the episode you're watching is on VOD, just watch that. Come to think of it, there's no reason DIRECTV can't just do that with a Red Button pop up that just queues the show from their VOD service and moves you to that show. I bet they do just that shortly if this feature turns out to be popular.

#15 OFFLINE   Lee L

Lee L

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 09:03 AM

This is a good feature for channel surfers maybe, but since 99% of non-sports programming that we watch is recorded, it adds nothing for me.

DirecTV, please don't make me have to go back to watching March Madness in standard Def! Oh, and the usual begging for AMC and BBC America. You are so close to actually being the HD Leader.

#16 OFFLINE   DJSix

DJSix

AllStar

• Registered
  • 83 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 12:02 PM

I saw the commercial last month while on vacation in Maui. I was laughing when the actor was saying it's their favorite show and he's missing it. I was thinking to myself, "all my favorite shows are set on season pass, so I don't miss any show." Now granted, it would be nice for a movie that I didn't know was coming on, but more than likely, it'll be shown again, and if it isn't, there's always Netflix.

#17 OFFLINE   Crimson

Crimson

Legend

• Registered
  • 109 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 03:12 PM

Brighthouse (TWC) in the Tampa area has this as well. As others stated it simply starts the program over. There is no DVR capabilities like FF, rewind, etc. It simply starts it from the beginning and plays it as though you were watching it live. I used it while staying at a friends house. Its only on major programs and networks. For example if you missed the start of the latest CSI.. if you happened to pull up the food network and wanted to restart a re-run of Iron Chef, it wouldn't work.
Samsung 46" LCD - 4696D
HR22-100
HR20-700

#18 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 03:14 PM

Brighthouse (TWC) in the Tampa area has this as well. As others stated it simply starts the program over. There is no DVR capabilities like FF, rewind, etc. It simply starts it from the beginning and plays it as though you were watching it live. I used it while staying at a friends house. Its only on major programs and networks. For example if you missed the start of the latest CSI.. if you happened to pull up the food network and wanted to restart a re-run of Iron Chef, it wouldn't work.

According to TWC, it is available on 20,000 titles. My guess is that Iron Chef is among them. ;)

There are over 20,000 hit TV shows that are Start Over enabled (this varies by market). No extra equipment is required. All you need is your remote and an existing Digital Cable set-top box.

#19 OFFLINE   tunce

tunce

Godfather

• Registered
  • 334 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 03:20 PM

It is up and running in Racine, WI. My father-in-law has it and I was playing with it. It was OK but once you hit start over you can not fast-forward you can only rewind and pause. VERY STRANGE, might be part of the control they want over commercials - don't know.
Tunce

HR34-700 w/AM21 | HR20-700 | H21-200 | SWiM | Slimline 3
Whole Home - External Antenna

#20 OFFLINE   IHeartMASN

IHeartMASN

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 06:39 PM

TWC here in Greensboro has had this for a couple of years. It's the only feature that Time Warner has that I wish DirecTV would get.

spam firewall