Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Sony BDP-CX960 (400 BD changer)

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,390 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 08:55 AM

Wow - what a nice unit - plays amost everything outside DVD-Audio disks... Space 400 for discs.

BD performance is fantastic and DVDs look great too.

LAN connection goes to Gracenote to find disc information.

Price? Under $600!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 07 December 2009 - 09:36 AM

I dont believe there has ever been a Sony product that supported DVD-Audio, but more to the point it doesnt even seem to support their own format-SACD.....way to go Sony.

EDIT: Nevermind, I found mention of SACD support at a separate review site, I couldnt find it on the product page at Sony though...

EDIT, EDIT: IT appears it does NOT have SACD support...I stand uncorrected to my correction...

:lol:

Edited by CCarncross, 07 December 2009 - 09:41 AM.

#3 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,425 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 07 December 2009 - 10:10 AM

Here's a link to Sony's web page for this unit. MSRP is $799,99 -- less than half the price of its big brother, the BDP-CX7000ES, which lists for $1899.99 :eek2:
http://www.sonystyle...#specifications

#4 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,390 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 11:49 AM

I bought it for $799 at 6th Ave Electronics in Wilmington, DE on Saturday. Went back on Sunday with the amazon.com price of $591 and they quickly matched the price.

I was very impressed with 6th Ave and the new player.

We were going to forgo Christmas gifts this year, but this price was amazing and it'll bring new life back to my DVD collection (and nascent BD collection).

FWIW, I have mine connected with component and the PQ on my ISF callibrated display is nothing short of amazing. It's better than the PS3 I was using for BD, which I'm now going to sell.

#5 OFFLINE   thomas_d92

thomas_d92

AllStar

• Registered
  • 81 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 11:22 AM

I just loaded 230 blu-rays into my 960 and it found all but 10 titles in the database. I entered them manually. It sure is nice to put my blu-ray titles on the screen instead of going to my storage rack and looking for something to watch. Now when I am into music I can play a track or two from one concert blu-ray and go on to the next blu-ray without having to get up and search for a blu-ray disc. My alregion modified OPPO-BD-83 will now be used for region 2 play blu-ray, all region dvd ,sacd, and hd-audio play. I also have a Sony 995 changer for dvd play. I cannot see using space in my 960 to play regular dvd,s. I am impressed with the picture quality of the 960 . It appears to be equal to the OPPO on blu-ray play.

#6 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,829 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 11:35 AM

That is a massive piece of equipment. I wish it fit into my plans, that's for sure.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#7 OFFLINE   quickfire

quickfire

Godfather

• Registered
  • 406 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 10:06 PM

That is a massive piece of equipment. I wish it fit into my plans, that's for sure.

Stuart.....your right on it being massive.....I have the 995 also,I ended up buying a stand alone component rack and put both of them in it.

Its nice knowing you can just flip thru you BD's and just hit play.......I had never owned a stand alone BD player until I bought the 960........I had always used the PS3,it was a GREAT upgrade.

#8 OFFLINE   dave29

dave29

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,825 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 10:09 AM

I would like to see some screen shots on the UI and Metadata.
HR34-700, HR24-500, HR22-100, HR20-100, R22-100, R16

My Setup

Diagram of my Directv setup by Milkman

#9 OFFLINE   brownram

brownram

AllStar

• Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 08:33 PM

got mine for $569 shipped off of ebay have been busy burning avchd discs from my hddvr through my hauppauge 1212 . amazing results better than the original pq
i love my hr20 now

spam firewall