Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

The End of HDTV Broadcasting?

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,448 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 09 December 2009 - 09:58 AM

Here's a matter of concern for all of us who receive HD broadcasts over the air. While it may not be a primary concern to people who receive their TV via cable or satellite, it may impact at least some of the programming they receive.
http://www.hdtvmagaz...roadcasting.php

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Sony KDFE-55A20 55" LCD RPTV; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVoRoamio Plus, LG BH200 HD DVD/Blu-ray player via HDMI to AVR
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Shaqdan

Shaqdan

Legend

• Registered
  • 138 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 12:14 PM

In other news, the sky is falling.

#3 OFFLINE   Jtaylor1

Jtaylor1

Legend

• Registered
  • 192 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 09:28 PM

It's not just the end of HD. It maybe the end of the Television Era, now that people use the internet to watch shows. The FCC is now considering to shut down all the television stations and take back the entire spectrum to make way for a nationwide broadband.

Cable companies may even stop offering their cable service and start offering their internet service to new customers.

Edited by Jtaylor1, 09 December 2009 - 09:38 PM.

#4 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,739 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 09 December 2009 - 11:56 PM

Says who ?

I still get TV OTA .... and I LIKE IT THAT WAY !!

Internet will not have the same resolution unless EVERYBODY can download at 10Mbps (or better) all the time at the same time....
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#5 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,278 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 10 December 2009 - 09:23 AM

Again, the sky is falling. :nono2:

Added: The article sounds more like Swammi type alarmism than (not then) HDTVMag reporting.

EDIT: add-on comment

Edited by Nick, 11 December 2009 - 08:13 AM.

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#6 OFFLINE   mike1977

mike1977

Legend

• Registered
  • 210 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 06:34 AM

It's not just the end of HD. It maybe the end of the Television Era, now that people use the internet to watch shows. The FCC is now considering to shut down all the television stations and take back the entire spectrum to make way for a nationwide broadband.

Cable companies may even stop offering their cable service and start offering their internet service to new customers.

Watching shows over the internet can be too unreliable...it's why I rarely do it and why I'd rather see my shows on the TV! I get upset after being disconnected from WoW on a bad connection night...I don't even want to imagine trying to watch one of my favorite TV shows when the connection will drop every 5 minutes.

#7 OFFLINE   wxguy

wxguy

AllStar

• Registered
  • 88 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 08:47 AM

The simple fact is that the broadcast TV business model is not sustainable. Most people watch syndicated programs or network shows and only 30% of the population watch locally produced shows. An most of that group is 50+. Another decade and the FCC won't have to shut down any TV channels, they will simply go out of business.

Network and syndicated programs can be distributed via satellite or cable directly to the viewer. The broadcaster just gets in the way with local commercial spots that the networks would just as soon sell themselves.

One reason it survives at all is the built in protection of broadcasters by politicians who trade their congressional vote for cheap access to constituents. But once they find a more effective way to hoodwink the local voter, the TV access won't be so important. Withing the next decade we'll see congress providing subsidies to broadcasters to stay powered up for localism, meaning access to the voting public.

It would be cheaper to provide every household with cable access or a dish and be done with the spectrum hogs. This is settled science, so let's just move on.

#8 OFFLINE   Dave

Dave

Icon

• Registered
  • 864 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 01:21 PM

We will not see a departure from free TV until the FCC comes out with a new rule or regulation forbidding it to the public. This will never happen. With the population growing older and more and more cost conscience. As the survey says 30% of the population is over 50. Until the Government steps up and says we will give everyone in the country free TV at the governments expense. Our any of you willing to pay for me or anyone else in the country to have free TV. This would mean an extra tax just for TV services. I for one would not be willing to pay it.

#9 OFFLINE   narrod

narrod

Godfather

• Registered
  • 510 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 01:49 PM

Here's a matter of concern for all of us who receive HD broadcasts over the air. While it may not be a primary concern to people who receive their TV via cable or satellite, it may impact at least some of the programming they receive.
http://www.hdtvmagaz...roadcasting.php

A tempest in a teapot. Won't happen. :nono2:

#10 OFFLINE   Jtaylor1

Jtaylor1

Legend

• Registered
  • 192 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 01:41 AM

It's official. The FCC is considering taking the entire broadcasting spectrum for broadband.

This would mean that everyone nationwide will get broadband. There will also be set-top boxes for broadband video, moving TV online.

In Conclusion, over-the-air (OTA) TV will be obsolete.

Broadcasters Squeezed by Convergence Push

Source: Broadcasting & Cable

#11 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 08:23 AM

If I can get free broadband at a respectable 6-7Mbps down, I say bring it on. Apart from some prime-time shows and NFL games, broadcast TV is a wasteland, IMO. I spend far more time online than I do watching broadcast TV.

Ceton 6 tuner eth, Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and Standard Internet, TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB) for OTA,TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device, Xbox 360 

#12 OFFLINE   Jerry Springer

Jerry Springer

Mentor

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 12:01 PM

The answer is revenue.

For the most part, FOX and it's affiliate channels has stayed on the VHF where power consumption costs are cheaper and where they have more room to move - if they decide to try to utilize the unused frequency's.

I will compare this to the internet. Back when the internet first became available, the smart people went out and registered as many domain names as possible with the hopes that someone else would come along and want those names. Be willing to pay a premium price and the holder of the domain name would make out huge dividends.

When the dot com got too full, they just switched over to the NET address and was back in business as if nothing ever happened.

What the FCC is getting you prepared for is the take over by Comcast of NBC - General Electric.

Back in the early days of television, GE started NBC and Westinghouse started CBS and the rivalary between the two was like a war.

At one time I told the story of Du Mont and how Westinghouse practically ran him out of business and stole his keystone station - WDTV and turned it into KDKA - due to the fact that George Westinghouses main shop was located in Turtle Creek PA (East Pittsburgh) - now the Keystone Commons, and he was not allowed by the FCC to open his own station or network in his hometown - due to a freeze in licenses.

Du Mont was the model of success. If it was not for his operation, television as we know it today would not exist. Programs were dictated by the sponsor. Du Mont saw this and decided to have multiple sponsors.

Once Comcast owns NBC - they will be free to move it all into the cable and take it off the air for all their O&O stations. But no station can survive without revenue. The pay per view type system cannot work for people out in the county that does not have access to cable television.

Cable television will never be available to 100% of the homes in the USA due to the fact that some are just too far off the grid to be profitable.

http://en.wikipedia....evision_Network

http://www.cmu.edu/s...ne commons1.pdf

As time goes on, the little guy is gobbled up by the big guy and when the big guy thinks that he has gotten too big, someone bigger then they are comes along and buys them out and the person that owns the land makes the rules - just like on the TV show Bonanza.

Comcast will buy out NBC and one day the Chinese will come along and buy out Comcast and we will all be watching cheap Japanese reality shows and not Gunsmoke and Bonanza anymore.

#13 OFFLINE   Jtaylor1

Jtaylor1

Legend

• Registered
  • 192 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 01:07 PM

Comcast in taking their cable content to the internet.

Comcast Unveils Its On-Demand Web Television Service

Comcast's vision for TV viewing on the Internet is now accessible to it's customers across the country.

The company announced Tuesday that the service it calls On Demand Online is now available to "any Comcast customer with a Digital Cable and Internet subscription." The service lets customers watch thousands of TV episodes and some movies via their Web browsers.

Source: New York Times

#14 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,278 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 15 December 2009 - 08:20 PM

I predict that the end of broadcast tv will begin just about the time that global warming thing is winding down. :shrug:

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#15 OFFLINE   celticpride

celticpride

Icon

• Registered
  • 967 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 02:32 PM

Heck i still have relatives who still dont own a computer or have the internet,but at least they have satellite,and thats only because their daughter bought them the directv!!

#16 OFFLINE   lwilli201

lwilli201

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 11:06 AM

I am sure the satellite companies will be upset about this since they have spent a considerable amount of money on spot beams and ground infrastructure to satisfy FCC mandates for more LIL. Directv and Dish should not spend another nickel on LIL expansion until the FCC can make up its mind.
1-HR21-100, 2-HR21-700, 1 w/eSATA, all networked, unsupported MRV. AT9 Dish(110 & 119 disabled) and SWM8.

#17 OFFLINE   bicker1

bicker1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 12:51 PM

The simple fact is that the broadcast TV business model is not sustainable. Most people watch syndicated programs or network shows and only 30% of the population watch locally produced shows. An most of that group is 50+. Another decade and the FCC won't have to shut down any TV channels, they will simply go out of business.

Network and syndicated programs can be distributed via satellite or cable directly to the viewer. The broadcaster just gets in the way with local commercial spots that the networks would just as soon sell themselves.

Yes, we're discussing this this week in another forum -- that one a more general interest forum, so some folks there are not quite as sensitive to industry issues, and are only blindly looking at the issue from the standpoint of a consumer and viewer. The idea that they may actually have to pay for entertainment -- heck! that the people who pay for their entertainment actually expect something in return :) -- is a shocking revelation to some folks there.

#18 OFFLINE   FogCutter

FogCutter

Godfather

• Registered
  • 382 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 03:27 PM

If I can get free broadband at a respectable 6-7Mbps down, I say bring it on. Apart from some prime-time shows and NFL games, broadcast TV is a wasteland, IMO. I spend far more time online than I do watching broadcast TV.

Excellent point. Local stations could still exist as internet sites.

Clearly such a move would rattle the economics of the networks, but the benefit to society would be considerable.

Nice idea -- I like it.

#19 OFFLINE   cousinofjah

cousinofjah

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 06:42 PM

so broadcast TV to be replaced by a dizzying array of computing devices and set-top boxes all competing for our attention, slowing our internet connection (and maybe that of our neighbors), and challenging our TV input strategy? If TV becomes exclusively IPTV of some form or fashion (and telephone go all mobile), does broadband access now become as important as power? And as regulated?

#20 OFFLINE   FogCutter

FogCutter

Godfather

• Registered
  • 382 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 08:15 AM

If TV becomes exclusively IPTV of some form or fashion (and telephone go all mobile), does broadband access now become as important as power? And as regulated?

Sure, why not? And regulation is sure to follow, which can be good or bad depending on the hand on the tiller.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...