Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

PRESS RELEASE: DISH Network Adds Its 14 Millionth Customer

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp

Analog Geek in a Digital World

• Super Moderators
  • 10,040 posts
  • LocationNorthern Illinois

Posted 10 December 2009 - 08:15 AM

DISH Network Adds its 14 Millionth customer

ENGLEWOOD, Colo., Dec. 10, 2009 – DISH Network L.L.C., the fastest growing pay-TV service in America, today announced that it recently passed the 14 million customer milestone. This significant achievement follows DISH Network’s third quarter in which it added more net subscribers than any company in the multichannel video distribution business.
“Surpassing 14 million subscribers is testimony to the strides we made over the past year in providing a best-in-class video experience,” said Charlie Ergen, Chairman, President and CEO of DISH Network. “We have more high definition channels than any other TV provider, we feature award-winning DVR technology, and we do it all at the most economical prices in the business.”
As the nation’s leader in high definition, DISH Network offers more than 150 national HD channels, local HD channels in 152 markets, and top-rated 1080p technology that provides the best picture available anywhere. DISH Network also leads the industry in technological breakthroughs, with award-winning HD DVR receivers, the largest hard drives, the most comprehensive remote DVR manager, and the most advanced DVR functionality including multi-room viewing capability – unmatched by any other satellite or cable provider. Additionally, customers have access to the most international programming in the nation, including more than 175 channels representing more than 28 languages and one of the largest Spanish-language channel line-ups.
For more information about DISH Network, visit www.dishnetwork.com.

# # #

About DISH Network Corporation
DISH Network Corporation (NASDAQ: DISH), through its subsidiary DISH Network L.L.C., provides more than 14 million satellite TV customers as of Dec. 10, 2009, with the highest quality programming and technology at the best value, including the lowest all-digital price nationwide. Customers have access to hundreds of video and audio channels, the most HD channels, the most international channels, state-of-the-art interactive TV applications, and award-winning HD and DVR technology including 1080p Video on Demand and the ViP® 722 HD DVR, a CNET and PC Magazine “Editors’ Choice.” DISH Network is included in the Nasdaq-100 Index (NDX) and is a Fortune 250 company. Visit www.dishnetwork.com, follow on Twitter, @dishnetwork (www.twitter.com/dishnetwork), or become a Fan on Facebook, www.facebook.com/dishnetwork.

Edited by Jason Nipp, 10 December 2009 - 08:23 AM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Justin23

Justin23

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 08:20 AM

This significant achievement follows DISH Network’s third quarter in which it added more net subscribers than any company in the multichannel video distribution business.

Wonder if they will mention the quarters when they lost net subs...

#3 OFFLINE   bigshew

bigshew

Legend

• Registered
  • 143 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 09:37 AM

Sub # 14 million probably didn't win a prize. I seem to recall # 10 million getting free lifetime service and a nice TV, but that must've been ~5 yrs ago.. Times were much better back then.

#4 OFFLINE   Erocwolverine

Erocwolverine

AllStar

• Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 09:57 AM

Does 14 mil. mean they have 14 mil. customers right now or they have just had a total of 14 mil. customers since they started?

That would be interesting to know especially since a lot of people go back and forth between cable and different satellite companies to try and get the best deal for themselves.

Edited by Erocwolverine, 10 December 2009 - 10:02 AM.

#5 OFFLINE   Justin23

Justin23

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 10:03 AM

I think its 14 million total customers as of today...I know they were at 13.8 a little bit ago...

#6 OFFLINE   jacmyoung

jacmyoung

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 12:34 PM

There is a report that they have added 150K net new subs for this current quarter so far, if the trend holds they should easily add over 200K net new subs for Q4, that compared to the 245k net new subs for Q3.

I wonder what did they do to turn it around so fast, consider they just lost the AT&T contract?

#7 ONLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,384 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 10 December 2009 - 12:36 PM

I wonder if the 14th million home has audio gurgles?

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#8 OFFLINE   Justin23

Justin23

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 12:50 PM

There is a report that they have added 150K net new subs for this current quarter so far, if the trend holds they should easily add over 200K net new subs for Q4, that compared to the 245k net new subs for Q3.

I wonder what did they do to turn it around so fast, consider they just lost the AT&T contract?

I'd be interested to see what their churn rate is...not good if they have all these new net subs but their churn is sky high...

#9 OFFLINE   jorossian

jorossian

Legend

• Registered
  • 198 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 01:15 PM

Well, I can't speak for everyone, but I can tell you what made me switch to Dish Network this past August after 15 years with DirecTV.

A) DirecTV dropping ESPN and ESPN2 from their DirecTV Mas packages
B) The DishLatino Max package is an incredible value regardless of whether you care for spanish language programming or not.

First, I don't think there's a better deal out there in terms of bang for your buck than DishLATINO Max. At the same price as Classic Silver, they include free: TheMovieChannel West and TheMovieChannelXtra West, Fox Movie Channel, The Playboy Channel (spanish version), Independent Film Channel and Fox Soccer Channel. Then the HD&Platinum $10 combo add-on applies to this pack giving me HDNM, UNIV, MGM ... more movies, basically, for just the regular $10 HD fee. The package also qualifies for NFL Redzone if you add the sports pack (even though NFL Network isn't included in the main package). Also Setanta Sports only costs $9.99 a month if your base package is DishLatinomax (not widely advertised). Plus, of course, I still get my favorite normal channels (History Channel, FX, Comedy Central, BBCA, Discovery, TLC, DIY, Nat. Geographic, Travel... etc) with more of them in HD than DTV.

Secondly, DirecTV REALLY dropped the ball with their Spanish language packs in the first quarter. They incredulously removed ESPN and ESPN2 from all their latino packs as of February of 2009. Stupid... crazy business move to pull on a group of viewers who really love to watch soccer in HD. They essentially made it extremely expensive to have ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN Deportes, Fox Sports Español, and FSC all on the same sub. You'd now have to order an English base pack and add the Spanish add-on pack plus buy the sports pack - this before even considering adding a movie pack.

After learning that The DishLatinoMAX had all that stuff in one neat bundle for $57.99 (dvr pack with locals and local area sports networks), I said "See ya!" I imagine that's happening with a lot of DTV Mas subscribers. Unless you really NEED GolTV, there's really no reason to stay with DTV for that market group. I get enough La Liga games on ESPN Deportes and ESPN2 to satisfy me in that regard.

It may seem trivial to most subscribers, but it took a LOT to get me to switch after being with DirecTV almost since they started up (I bought and installed my first system in '95). 4 months in, I gotta say I'm loving the DishNet programming and loving my monthly bill even more. Even after all the promo credits are gone my bill will be substantially lower than it was with DTV plus with lots of "premium channels" included for free in the base package.

Losing ESPN got the ball rolling, but once we looked further into making a switch and realized the overall savings Dish offered in comparison DirecTV for more programming it was a no-brainer decision. On top of that I find my VIP612 DVR to be slightly superior to my old HR20. I love the fact that it still has an old fashioned RF out to send the signal to another TV in the house without having to run it through an external modulator. That always bugged me about HR20.

Edited by jorossian, 10 December 2009 - 03:25 PM.

#10 OFFLINE   jacmyoung

jacmyoung

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 01:28 PM

I'd be interested to see what their churn rate is...not good if they have all these new net subs but their churn is sky high...

The churn rate was already down in Q3, since they have already added another 150k net new subs in this quarter, the churn rate cannot be much higher than the Q3's.

#11 OFFLINE   Scott Corbett

Scott Corbett

Mentor

• Registered
  • 31 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 10 December 2009 - 04:04 PM

Well, I can't speak for everyone, but I can tell you what made me switch to Dish Network this past August after 15 years with DirecTV.

The same may apply for me in March, based on how D12 is utilized. Maybe not Dish, perhaps Netflix.
HR20-100 - Networked
HR10-250 - Third Replacement
R15-500 - Pitiful
SDVR40
PS3
Mitsubishi 55" RP
D* since '94

#12 OFFLINE   jacmyoung

jacmyoung

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 04:51 PM

The same may apply for me in March, based on how D12 is utilized. Maybe not Dish, perhaps Netflix.

So what you two are saying, get the DishLatino package and enjoy all the English channels? I want to know more.

#13 OFFLINE   jorossian

jorossian

Legend

• Registered
  • 198 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 05:16 PM

It's a matter of personal preference. You need to decide if it works for you. These are the channels in the DishLatino MAX package.

http://dishnetwork.c...mming/DLMax.pdf

52.99/month (locals and local area sports networks included)
57.99/month (with DVR service, locals and local area sports networks included)

Same price as the Classic Silver 200 package.

add $10 for HD (including HDNetMovies, MGM, Universal HD, Palladia and a couple other formerly "premium HD" channels)

Edited by jorossian, 10 December 2009 - 05:23 PM.

#14 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,531 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 10 December 2009 - 09:13 PM

I like how when DirecTV was adding 1.2 million and losing 750K customers for a net gain of 500K no one cared about the "churn"... but when Dish gains net subs in the 200-250K margin, suddenly the "churn" matters :)

Truth be told.. I do think churn is important. I thought so for DirecTV. I argued that DirecTV was doing well in marketing for those new subs, but HORRIBLE at retention to be losing so many... We might be seeing the fruits of that with Dish now gaining subs IF we also see a drop in DirecTV new subs next quarter.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#15 OFFLINE   Scott Corbett

Scott Corbett

Mentor

• Registered
  • 31 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 11 December 2009 - 11:57 AM

So what you two are saying, get the DishLatino package and enjoy all the English channels? I want to know more.

I did not mention DishLatino. I did mention Netflix as an alternative to Dish.
HR20-100 - Networked
HR10-250 - Third Replacement
R15-500 - Pitiful
SDVR40
PS3
Mitsubishi 55" RP
D* since '94

#16 OFFLINE   jorossian

jorossian

Legend

• Registered
  • 198 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 01:38 PM

A) DirecTV dropping ESPN and ESPN2 from their DirecTV Mas packages
B) The DishLatino Max package is an incredible value regardless of whether you care for spanish language programming or not.

First, I don't think there's a better deal out there in terms of bang for your buck than DishLATINO Max. At the same price as Classic Silver, they include free: TheMovieChannel West and TheMovieChannelXtra West, Fox Movie Channel, The Playboy Channel (spanish version), Independent Film Channel and Fox Soccer Channel. Then the HD&Platinum $10 combo add-on applies to this pack giving me HDNM, UNIV, MGM ... more movies, basically, for just the regular $10 HD fee. The package also qualifies for NFL Redzone if you add the sports pack (even though NFL Network isn't included in the main package). Also Setanta Sports only costs $9.99 a month if your base package is DishLatinomax (not widely advertised). Plus, of course, I still get my favorite normal channels (History Channel, FX, Comedy Central, BBCA, Discovery, TLC, DIY, Nat. Geographic, Travel... etc) with more of them in HD than DTV.

Secondly, DirecTV REALLY dropped the ball with their Spanish language packs in the first quarter. They incredulously removed ESPN and ESPN2 from all their latino packs as of February of 2009. Stupid... crazy business move to pull on a group of viewers who really love to watch soccer in HD. They essentially made it extremely expensive to have ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN Deportes, Fox Sports Español, and FSC all on the same sub. You'd now have to order an English base pack and add the Spanish add-on pack plus buy the sports pack - this before even considering adding a movie pack.

After learning that The DishLatinoMAX had all that stuff in one neat bundle for $57.99 (dvr pack with locals and local area sports networks), I said "See ya!" I imagine that's happening with a lot of DTV Mas subscribers. Unless you really NEED GolTV, there's really no reason to stay with DTV for that market group. I get enough La Liga games on ESPN Deportes and ESPN2 to satisfy me in that regard.

It may seem trivial to most subscribers, but it took a LOT to get me to switch after being with DirecTV almost since they started up (I bought and installed my first system in '95). 4 months in, I gotta say I'm loving the DishNet programming and loving my monthly bill even more. Even after all the promo credits are gone my bill will be substantially lower than it was with DTV plus with lots of "premium channels" included for free in the base package.

Losing ESPN got the ball rolling, but once we looked further into making a switch and realized the overall savings Dish offered in comparison DirecTV for more programming it was a no-brainer decision. On top of that I find my VIP612 DVR to be slightly superior to my old HR20. I love the fact that it still has an old fashioned RF out to send the signal to another TV in the house without having to run it through an external modulator. That always bugged me about HR20.

Well, it looks like I was right. DirecTV must have gotten stung by a LOT of cancellations from Latino package subscribers because as of today they just added a new package to their website to fix their year long mistake and compete with the DishLATINO Max package. The new DirecTV package is "Mas Ultra Deportes" which adds ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNnews, and Fox Soccer Channel to the original ""Mas Ultra" package for only $5 more ($62.99). The package still costs $10 more than the Dish offering, but now there's a viable option for folks who want to stick with DirecTV to get GolTv and pay a bit more for the privelidge. On the other side Dish makes up for no GolTV by offering a lower package price ($10 less, $52.99), includes 3 premium movie channels, the Playboy channel and $5 cheaper access to Setanta sports.

Smart move by DirecTV, but unfortunately they probably acted too late for some, why did they wait so long? A ton of folks already cancelled and switched and have 2 year commitments. I'm betting they'll offer folks some major discounts to come back to "cancel out" the huge early termination fee they'll face....... Interesting

I'm gonna stick with Dish because it works best for me, but I might just make an "audit" call just to see how far on bended knee DirecTV is willing to go to get a 15 year customer back as it's noted on my "reason for cancellation" notes that dropping ESPN from their packs was my reason for leaving. :P

Edited by jorossian, 12 December 2009 - 01:57 PM.

#17 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,584 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 01:46 PM

I like how when DirecTV was adding 1.2 million and losing 750K customers for a net gain of 500K no one cared about the "churn" ...

I agree ... for years when I tracked this DirecTV consistently lost more customers than DISH Network quarter by quarter. The difference being that they also gained more customers ... enough to maintain a positive net when DISH had a couple of negative net quarters.

Now DISH's pricing and packaging strategy seems to be paying off. It is good to see them going up in net and I look forward to the announcement of their 15 millionth net customer (who may receive a prize ... bigger numbers mean bigger things). There is still time for the 14 millionth customer to receive something on the Charlie Chat tomorrow night.

#18 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,531 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 13 December 2009 - 02:20 PM

Crossing 14million by the 14th and being close to Christmas... it would be nice if they did something (even something small) for that 14 millionth customer tomorrow night.

I too am glad to see subscriber net gains, though, and hope it continues for Dish.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#19 OFFLINE   giorgiob8

giorgiob8

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 08:04 PM

I share your pain, I also has been with DTV for over 12 years and dropping ESPN2 pissed me off big time. Over the last year I wrote 3 heated e-mails to DTV executives and they seemed not to have an answer to my legitimate question on how on earth the changes made any sense

Unless you really NEED GolTV, there's really no reason to stay with DTV for that market group. I get enough La Liga games on ESPN Deportes and ESPN2 to satisfy me in that regard.

Not completely true, what made me swallow the pain and stay with DTV is that a few months after they dropped the ESPN's they created the Soccer Mix Channels similar to NFL SUNDAY TICKET™ where you have available up to 9 games (7 minimum) of the Champions League in each date in HD at no extra charge and 3 Spanish La Liga games also on HD on each date, all this in the channels 460's.

I am not aware of Dish offering anything like it, plus as you said it DTV carries the Bundesliga.

If not I would have made the switch too.

As somebody said, as today DTV corrected the mistake and added an upgrade to MAS ULTRA called MAS ULTRA Deportes that puts the ESPN's back in the line up.

#20 OFFLINE   dolmar

dolmar

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 10:23 PM

Don't worry they wont be over 14million soon after their new brilliant price increases they are implementing starting on Feb 1. I personally plan to cancel in June when my contract is over and I know at least 4 other people I referred who are just as pissed as me. So maybe the next time they cross over 14 million customer threshold they can make a big deal about it.

Increase the monthly lease fee on the boxes by $7-10 is outranges considering you paid something upfront to get those boxes. Then to tell customers if you would have taken the free boxes from the beginning and not paid an upfront fee we would not be increasing your monthly lease by $7-10 a month is even more insulting in my opinion.

Then telling customers that if you don't like the new increase are not willing to pay that increase for your current boxes your choices are cancel your 2nd box and return it, agree to a new 2 year contract and pay $100 to downgrade your box to $7 a month box or pay the ETF.

Hey if you are basically dumb enough to agree to a new 2 year contract and pay $100 fee to downgrade your box be aware if we fell like it next year we can raise the price on that box from $7 per to $14-17 like we did on other boxes because we can and then your choice is pay the ETF or pay the new increase.

I am sure treating customers this way is going to get them many new customers and help keep their existing 14 million customers too.

spam firewall