Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Will DTV Make It So You Never Need A Phone Line

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_CraigerCSM_*

Guest_CraigerCSM_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 December 2009 - 11:54 AM

I know you need a phone line to order PPV and VOD and for Caller ID but will DTV upgrade their equipment so you don't need a phone line?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,953 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 11:56 AM

I know you need a phone line to order PPV and VOD and for Caller ID but will DTV upgrade their equipment so you don't need a phone line?

I can do all but caller ID over the network now.
A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,878 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 12:08 PM

There is no way to get Caller ID without a phone line. That's not DIRECTV's issue. Everything else can go through the network or can be done from the PC.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#4 Guest_CraigerCSM_*

Guest_CraigerCSM_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 December 2009 - 12:26 PM

There is no way to get Caller ID without a phone line. That's not DIRECTV's issue. Everything else can go through the network or can be done from the PC.

What about making it so you don't need a phone line to order PPV? I forgot that with VOD you need a wifi router anyway. I wonder if they would make VOD so you don't need a wifi router or a phone line?

#5 OFFLINE   Justin23

Justin23

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 12:39 PM

You don't need a wifi router for VOD...you can hardline your receiver to your router or use a powerline ethernet adapter

http://www.directv.c...on_demand_setup

#6 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,580 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 12:42 PM

PPV information is sent using your internet connection if you don't have a phone line connected.

So you want a DVR to connect directly to the internet how?
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#7 Guest_CraigerCSM_*

Guest_CraigerCSM_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 December 2009 - 12:52 PM

PPV information is sent using your internet connection if you don't have a phone line connected.

So you want a DVR to connect directly to the internet how?

No I do want my DVR connected to the Internet because that would another box to my setup and I don't like having alot of boxes. You don't need the Internet to order PPV.

I was just wondering if they would ever have it so when they install boxes they don't have to install a phone jack and line and you could order PPV movies using the coax cable?

#8 OFFLINE   Justin23

Justin23

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 12:54 PM

No I do want my DVR connected to the Internet because that would another box to my setup and I don't like having alot of boxes. You don't need the Internet to order PPV.

I was just wondering if they would ever have it so when they install boxes they don't have to install a phone jack and line and you could order PPV movies using the coax cable?

Craig....run an ethernet cable from your receiver to your router...no additional box needed...

#9 OFFLINE   paulh

paulh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 447 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 12:56 PM

...did they stop allowing you to order PPV via D*'s website from your home PC in another room? (I do not know) but I thought if you ordered PPV online, it would actually be available on all of your receivers, not just the one that ordered.

#10 Guest_CraigerCSM_*

Guest_CraigerCSM_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 December 2009 - 01:02 PM

...did they stop allowing you to order PPV via D*'s website from your home PC in another room? (I do not know) but I thought if you ordered PPV online, it would actually be available on all of your receivers, not just the one that ordered.

You can still order PPV and I guess VOD through Directv.com They also have that IPhone APP to do that. I think members aren't getting what I am saying. I was wondering if DTV would make their DVR's like how Cable has theirs where their boxes can order PPV and VOD over the cable wire and it doesn't need a phone to do it.

#11 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,953 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 01:03 PM

The coax isn't a two way feed, so there isn't anything going out [can't order].
A.K.A VOS

#12 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 01:05 PM

The phone issue will not go away until Directv grows a set and tells their HSP (Home Service Provider) system: (1)You must provide signed proof that your installers are paid for their work(2) Any deduction of pay for failure to connect a land line phone will be cause for termination of your HSP status.

Until then installers will continue to assert that systems will not work without a phone.

Joe

Edited by joe diamond, 10 December 2009 - 01:06 PM.
typo

#13 Guest_CraigerCSM_*

Guest_CraigerCSM_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 December 2009 - 01:06 PM

The coax isn't a two way feed, so there isn't anything going out [can't order].

Oh so that is why you need a phone line because DTV's isn't a two-way feed like cable?

Will DTV ever make their Coax a two-way feed? Then they could do VOD without needing a router hooked up to the box.

#14 Guest_CraigerCSM_*

Guest_CraigerCSM_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 December 2009 - 01:06 PM

The phone issue will not go away until Directv grows a set and tells their HSP (Home Service Provider) system: (1)You must provide signed proof that your installers are paid for their work(2) Any deduction of pay for failure to connect a land line phone will be cause for termination of your HSP status.

Until then installers will continue to assert that systems will not work without a phone.

Joe

They could make it so they could do that using just coax cable.

#15 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 01:08 PM

The coax cable goes to the dish; the dish is receive-only, and that is absolutely not going to change, so the answer is "no." The only options for the receiver to talk back to DirecTV is either via phone line or via Ethernet/Internet, and that's not going to change anytime in the forseeable future.

#16 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,953 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 01:10 PM

Oh so that is why you need a phone line because DTV's isn't a two-way feed like cable?

Will DTV ever make their Coax a two-way feed? Then they could do VOD without needing a router hooked up to the box.

They could make it so they could do that using just coax cable.

They would need to add a transmitter to the dish, and that isn't likely to happen.
Broadband internet access is where things are going.
A.K.A VOS

#17 Guest_CraigerCSM_*

Guest_CraigerCSM_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 December 2009 - 01:13 PM

The coax cable goes to the dish; the dish is receive-only, and that is absolutely not going to change, so the answer is "no." The only options for the receiver to talk back to DirecTV is either via phone line or via Ethernet/Internet, and that's not going to change anytime in the forseeable future.

I didn't know that the dish is receive only. Learn something new everyday.:)

DTV should really consider making their dishes send and receive. I wonder how much of a cost that add to the dish? That would open up so many possiblities for DTV with alot of services that they could add. Like faster Interactive Services and yes maybe even a web browser. Plus make the install eaiser.

#18 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 01:17 PM

I didn't know that the dish is receive only. Learn something new everyday.:)

DTV should really consider making their dishes send and receive. I wonder how much of a cost that add to the dish? That would open up so many possiblities for DTV with alot of services that they could add. Like faster Interactive Services and yes maybe even a web browser. Plus make the install eaiser.

Not going to happen. If it does, you can kiss free goodbye. Also there's a whole slew of regulations on where it can be mounted and by who.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#19 Guest_CraigerCSM_*

Guest_CraigerCSM_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 December 2009 - 01:21 PM

Not going to happen. If it does, you can kiss free goodbye. Also there's a whole slew of regulations on where it can be mounted and by who.

You mean free dishes?

#20 OFFLINE   paragon

paragon

Godfather

• Registered
  • 354 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 01:42 PM

You mean free dishes?

There is no way installation will be free for a two way dish. There are too many regulatory hurdles that need to be taken care of when installing a two way dish. Television satellie dishes will always be receive only. This isn't a matter of "give it a couple years". The best solution is to hook your box up to your internet connection.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...