Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Local Channels

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   rcorbett8

rcorbett8

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 06:20 PM

If my account and recievers are set up in Austin Tx and I take a reciever to NYC, will I be able to get any local reception? (Either Austin or NYC):confused:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,037 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 14 December 2009 - 10:48 PM

Account with who and what type of receiver are you referring to?

#3 OFFLINE   Jerry Springer

Jerry Springer

Mentor

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 11:22 AM

If you were talking about the Dish Network, the answer would be no - due to the fact that you would be watching a different set of Satellites and the address for the receiver would change.

If you were talking about cable - such as Comcrap - the answer would be no - due to the fact that you do not physically own the equipment and it would be considered stealing.

If you were talking about a DTV converter box - the answer would be no - due to the fact that there is both physical channels and virtual channels, which has a number assigned to them that does not reflect the actual frequency for the channel you are receiving, not to mention that the PSIP would not match between the channel and the address for the channel inside of your tuner.

Please explain which type of system you are asking about.

This is a forum for over the air - free reception.

#4 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,409 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 12:44 PM

From that explanation, a simple no would cover it.

Satellite locals are spot beamed to a local area, probably several hundred square miles, and if you move out of the spot beam there is NO way to receive that programming.
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

spam firewall