Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Help w/ a SWM 8 install

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   crrscott

crrscott

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 11:19 PM

Where would I find diagram of a proper swm 8 install to 4 hd dvrs and a hd receiver. All new receivers.
I have 4 cables from the dish to the swm 8..1 to the power inserter...1 from the pi to the 1x4.... Nowhere for the 5th receiver
622, 625, 211, 322, DPP44 sw, Dish 500 w/129 wing, OTA, Roady x 2

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 11,712 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 16 December 2009 - 12:57 AM

Well, you a problem. The SWM8 supports 8 tuners and you have 9. You can replace that SWS4 4-output splitter with an SWS8 8-output splitter so that you can run 5 cables. Or simply add an SWS2 2-output splitter to one of your current splitter outputs. But with 9 tuners you'll need to configure one of the DVRs to use only one tuner during its satellite setup.

Of course, you could get two SWM8s, but that gets a bit more complicated. Or wait for the forthcoming SWM16.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#3 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 09:42 AM

Posted Image

Delete the unnecessary power locker in the center of the picture and you've got your solution.

#4 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,990 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 10:29 AM

Delete the unnecessary power locker in the center of the picture and you've got your solution.

Which would look like this:
http://www.dbstalk.c...80&d=1260980773

Attached Thumbnails

• 2-SWiMs.PNG

A.K.A VOS

#5 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,378 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 17 December 2009 - 12:35 AM

I have a SWM8 and a SWM5 LNB sitting in my floor that I have debating on pulling the trigger on for about 6-9 months. I got the SWM8 believe it or not for $55. I have some fears about making the jump.

1. I'm paranoid that if I use the LNB that if the LNB goes bad or has power issues with the PI that I will lose everything for all recievers.
2. If I use the SWM8 and it installed outside should I be worried about weather affecting it?
3. I have 4 lines ran already to the recievers. I have 1 HR20-100 and 2 D12's. I think I am going to replace one of the D12's soon for another HD DVR. That being said if I have a SWM8 installed would they have to just rerun all the lines or what since they would for sure have to shorten even the existing ones?
4. How well does OTA work with a SWM8? How would a pre amp work if it goes through the SWM8? Wouldnt it not work anymore?
5. Would it just be easier to use a WB68? I actually have one of those to. That seems to be a safer way in my opinion but I dont really know what I am missing.

I dont like the idea of more cables being ran but then again I hate the idea of losing all recievers due to a switch or SWM lnb.

#6 OFFLINE   crrscott

crrscott

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 09:02 AM

Thanks for th great diagrams. Does it get any more less complicated if the customer goes to swm from the dish so there is only one cable used from the dish to the start of the wiring nightmare. Battlezone, could I get a diagram for that solution. Thanks folks.

#7 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,990 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 09:15 AM

Thanks for th great diagrams. Does it get any more less complicated if the customer goes to swm from the dish so there is only one cable used from the dish to the start of the wiring nightmare. Battlezone, could I get a diagram for that solution. Thanks folks.

You need to have all four cables between the Dish & the SWM8, or you won't get all the SATs/channels.
A.K.A VOS

#8 OFFLINE   crrscott

crrscott

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 09:31 AM

Is it easier and more stable, less equipment if we change oer to swm equipment to from the dish all the way though. Using the al single wire equipment?

#9 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 09:41 AM

A SWM LNB (meaning the LNB has a SWM switch built-in) can only feed a max of 8 SWM tuners, and is NOT expandable.

Your 4 HD-DVRs = 8 tuners, so when you had your HD receiver, your tuner count is 9. The only way you'd be able to use a SWM LNB is to set one of your HD-DVRs to only use 1 tuner (which *can* be done in the setup menu). If you want all 9 tuners active, you'll need a legacy (non-SWM) LNB, with 4 lines running from the dish to splitters, and either 2 SWM8's, a SWM8 and a WB68, or 2 WB68s. The configuration is going to be as shown in vos's version of the diagram that I posted.

Now, DirecTV is *supposed* to be releasing the new SWM16 switch this month (which probably means Feb 2010). With a SWM16, your 4 lines go into the SWM16, and there are two SWM "legs", with each leg able to support up to 8 SWM tuners. That would be your ideal solution, but again, they haven't been released yet, and will probably be both expensive and in short supply for several months after they're released.

#10 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,990 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 11:10 AM

Now, DirecTV is *supposed* to be releasing the new SWM16 switch this month (which probably means Feb 2010). With a SWM16, your 4 lines go into the SWM16, and there are two SWM "legs", with each leg able to support up to 8 SWM tuners. That would be your ideal solution, but again, they haven't been released yet, and will probably be both expensive and in short supply for several months after they're released.

Which would look like this:
http://www.dbstalk.c...01&d=1261069733
SWiM16.gif
A.K.A VOS

#11 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,378 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 17 December 2009 - 04:25 PM

I have a SWM8 and a SWM5 LNB sitting in my floor that I have debating on pulling the trigger on for about 6-9 months. I got the SWM8 believe it or not for $55. I have some fears about making the jump.

1. I'm paranoid that if I use the LNB that if the LNB goes bad or has power issues with the PI that I will lose everything for all recievers.
2. If I use the SWM8 and it installed outside should I be worried about weather affecting it?
3. I have 4 lines ran already to the recievers. I have 1 HR20-100 and 2 D12's. I think I am going to replace one of the D12's soon for another HD DVR. That being said if I have a SWM8 installed would they have to just rerun all the lines or what since they would for sure have to shorten even the existing ones?
4. How well does OTA work with a SWM8? How would a pre amp work if it goes through the SWM8? Wouldnt it not work anymore?
5. Would it just be easier to use a WB68? I actually have one of those to. That seems to be a safer way in my opinion but I dont really know what I am missing.

I dont like the idea of more cables being ran but then again I hate the idea of losing all recievers due to a switch or SWM lnb.

Anyone?

#12 OFFLINE   cwdonahue

cwdonahue

Legend

• Registered
  • 208 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 04:47 PM

I'll help with a few of these that I have experience with.

3) You'll need to terminate the four lines from the dish on the SWM8, so, yes, you'll have to cut into the coax and put terminators on both ends if you don't have the ability to do that already. My install had the 4 lines from the dish terminating on two 2-line grounding blocks in my basement, so I detached the coax from the grounding blocks, connected 4 lines to the SWM8, and then connected the coax that was on the ground blocks to my TVs to the 4 way splitter I installed. Not too hard to do. One word of advice here. Make sure you have known good coax cables when you do the install. I pulled a few older 6' coax cables out when I did my install and, sure enough, one had a bad connector on it. Took me a while to figure that out.

4) I have an OTA with an amplifier on it. No problem. Just connect the output side of the antenna amp to the antenna input on the SWM8.

#13 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 12:12 PM

If you have any external switch in your system and it fails, you will likely lose signal to all receivers regardless. IMO, it isn't worth worrying about.

#14 OFFLINE   mobandit

mobandit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 02:29 PM

As to #2:

I have had a SWM8 installed on the south wall of my home for well over a year. It has seen snow, ice, sleet, rain, blistering sun....nothing seems to have fazed it. I did a fairly decent job with some dielectric grease on each of the fittings when I connected everything...haven't touched them since...

ETCM (SS/SW), USN (RET)
22 years, 4 months, 9 days

#15 OFFLINE   dthreet

dthreet

AllStar

• Registered
  • 98 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 02:23 AM

Posted Image

Very Helpful Diagram for large installations...
(2) HR20-100s networked w/ 0x485
(1) HR20-700s networked w/ 0x485

My Setup: <Click Here>

#16 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 03:46 PM

I can only take credit for posting it, not creating it.

Of course, the original post is quite old. We routinely use SWM32s on large commercial installations now. In fact, I'm putting another one in today, to expand this system:

Posted Image

Posted Image

It's like 4 SWM8's in one chassis. 4 outputs, each supporting a max of 8 tuners. No DECA bridge on the SWM32s, though, as these aren't intended for home use. SWM16s have a DECA bridge.

Commercial & Residential Satellite System Design & Installation
DirecTV, Dish Network & Free-To-Air

#17 OFFLINE   cabletech

cabletech

Legend

• Registered
  • 260 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 05:57 PM

Battlezone I sent you a PM the other day. Did you see it?

#18 OFFLINE   satguy801

satguy801

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 09:59 PM

you can replace with SWM8 with a SWM16 for that additional receiver, and keep room for expansion .

Protected By... spam firewall...And...