Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

House votes to turn down volume of noisy TV ads

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy

Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt...&a

• Registered
  • 5,259 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 04:24 AM

House votes to turn down volume of noisy TV ads
By ANN SANNER (AP) – 10 hours ago

WASHINGTON — The House on Tuesday voted to level off the abrupt spikes in volume felt by television viewers during commercial breaks.
The bill — approved by a voice vote — is aimed at stopping TV ads from playing noticeably louder than programs.
"It's very frustrating," said Rep. Rick Boucher, D-Va. "It's an annoying experience, and something really should be done about it."

http://www.google.co...ofrFGgD9CK28V00

(Note: I know there was a thread already started a while ago on this topic but I couldn't find it. So Mods, move this thread as appropriate.)

Edited by BubblePuppy, 16 December 2009 - 08:37 AM.

Thanks to Google search, people can appear to be smarter than they really are.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,321 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR DMA

Posted 16 December 2009 - 08:42 AM

I think it's great that the volume will be equalized through commercial breaks but I can't believe it took an act of congress to make it happen.

With all of the stuff happening in the country today, this is what our representatives are working on?? :confused: I had hoped that consumer pressure on the service providers (Directv) would have made this happen.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to it having an effect on my volume, but I can't help but think it will be as useful as the canned spam act.

Genie, Hx2x, nomad
D* customer since Oct '99

#3 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 02:11 PM

Rather hard to say where this belongs, but this is probably the most appropriate area.

I had been very seriously considering dropping Dish because of the EXTREME volume differences between regular programming and network ads and Dish inserted ads. The Dish inserted ads would BLAST through and, I swear, could wake the dead. It seems MUCH improved in the last couple of weeks (knocking on head). I'm glad I don't have to go through the hassel of dumping them for either cable or Directv.
The Pump Don't Work 'cause the Vandals Took the Handles.

#4 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 02:48 PM

Along the same vein, I don't like the differences in volume between channels. I can understand it on OTA since all channels are coming from different sources, but with cable or satellite, all channels are being delivered by a common source no matter where they originate. Without knowing the mechanics of how such companies operate technically, it would seem reasonable for the volume on all channels to be able to be equalized.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#5 OFFLINE   kmax

kmax

AllStar

• Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 09:13 AM

Some channels have seemed worse for me lately. I used to notice from time to time, but lately they seem to just blare to the point of being uncomfortable.

#6 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 11:09 AM

Since I never watch live and use the quick skip to get through commercials the only time I get a burst of loud from a commercial is when the quick skip lands in one and that is only momentary. The greater problem for me, as mentioned above, is the volume difference between pcm and DD channels. What I do now is prior to changing channels or stoping playback of a recording is roll the volume back on my Onkyo and start over on the new channel/recording. A pain and I shouldn't have to do it but it gets me through an evening of TV :P
Just another old geezer killin' time till time kills me.

#7 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,407 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 17 December 2009 - 11:56 AM

Over the years I've used some sound leveling systems on music because of volume differences between recordings. It screws up the sound. I hope someone doesn't decide that this will be the way to comply with this law.

And this is going to be enforced by who? Are we going to pay a tax on TV's for this kind of trivial stuff or are we just going to borrow against our grandkids income to hire a guy to sit around and listen to TV and an attorney and staff to prepare complaints?:nono:

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#8 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 12:01 PM

Honestly my biggest issue is the volume level differences between HD and SD channels (with SD being much louder). I don't watch much (if any) SD anymore, but my kids do. When channel surfing in the kids channels (290's) it can be quite a shock when you go from a volume adjusted HD channel to an SD channel.

#9 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,983 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 02:17 PM

I think it's great that the volume will be equalized through commercial breaks but I can't believe it took an act of congress to make it happen.

With all of the stuff happening in the country today, this is what our representatives are working on?? :confused: I had hoped that consumer pressure on the service providers (Directv) would have made this happen.

I also would have thought the idea that congress was going to look at this issue would have been enough to get the providers to act voluntarily. The could have cut it down some, made some people happy and congress might have stayed out of it.

But congress lives for little crap like this. It is petty and insignificant, but if someone who hated the loud ads thinks their representative helped kill them, then they are pleased and the rep stays in office.

#10 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,703 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 04:16 PM

With all of the stuff happening in the country today, this is what our representatives are working on?? :confused:

+1
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#11 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 08:40 PM

Rather hard to say where this belongs, but this is probably the most appropriate area.

I had been very seriously considering dropping Dish because of the EXTREME volume differences between regular programming and network ads and Dish inserted ads. The Dish inserted ads would BLAST through and, I swear, could wake the dead. It seems MUCH improved in the last couple of weeks (knocking on head). I'm glad I don't have to go through the hassel of dumping them for either cable or Directv.

I should have knocked on my head a bit harder as the problem is back, although not as bad as a couple of weeks ago. :(
The Pump Don't Work 'cause the Vandals Took the Handles.

#12 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,591 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 17 December 2009 - 09:33 PM

I'm ashamed to say that the first time I read this subject header, I was trying to figure out what Dr House was doing voting, and how it fit into the current plotlines on that show ;)

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#13 OFFLINE   lwilli201

lwilli201

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 11:27 AM

I also would have thought the idea that congress was going to look at this issue would have been enough to get the providers to act voluntarily. The could have cut it down some, made some people happy and congress might have stayed out of it.

But congress lives for little crap like this. It is petty and insignificant, but if someone who hated the loud ads thinks their representative helped kill them, then they are pleased and the rep stays in office.

This is a problem that the FCC could have addressed. If they would have threatened to recommend to congress to pass legislation to solve this problem, there could have been a voluntary resolution. The FCC probably has a mountain of complaints about loud commercials, but they did not act on them.
1-HR21-100, 2-HR21-700, 1 w/eSATA, all networked, unsupported MRV. AT9 Dish(110 & 119 disabled) and SWM8.

#14 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,689 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 11:29 AM

I find it a bit humorous that the need to do this has to be legislated....nothing political at all....just that the advertising industry itself apparently lacks the common sense to establish standards and then follow them on their own. :rolleyes:
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#15 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,469 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 11:50 AM

And this is going to be enforced by who? Are we going to pay a tax on TV's for this kind of trivial stuff or are we just going to borrow against our grandkids income to hire a guy to sit around and listen to TV and an attorney and staff to prepare complaints?:nono:

I'm sure once it is passed they will get the message and act accordingly. If not then even stronger legislation will get passed. I wouldn't think they would be so stupid as to ignore the wishes of Congress but who knows.
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#16 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 11:59 AM

One problem I see with the way it is written is that a quiet commercial will be required for shows with little dialog, and a louder one will be acceptable for, say, "Deadliest Catch."

Who is going to average the volume levels of the programs before they air and tell the ad agency how loud the spot can be?

Equipment includes a buncha stuff that I no longer have interest in detailing

#17 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 12:38 PM

This is a problem that the FCC could have addressed. If they would have threatened to recommend to congress to pass legislation to solve this problem, there could have been a voluntary resolution. The FCC probably has a mountain of complaints about loud commercials, but they did not act on them.

And here is a FCC representative taking complaints about loud commercials:

Posted Image

From the FCC web page regarding Program Background Noise and Loud Commercials comes this:

Whether or not something is “too loud” is a judgment that varies with each listener. The decision is influenced by many factors like content and style, the speaker’s voice and tone, background sounds, and music.

The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) does not currently regulate the volume of programs or commercials. Broadcasters and program producers, however, have considerable latitude to vary the “loudness” of the program material.

And that is why congress got into it.
Just another old geezer killin' time till time kills me.

#18 OFFLINE   bicker1

bicker1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 12:39 PM

Paul's hit on a major issue; it is so mindless to pass a law saying (effectively), "Don't be annoying to me," but without a very clear standard for what objective measurement can be used to distinguish compliance from non-compliance, it's just hot air -- setting expectations within viewers with no reasonable basis for expecting things to change. I'm not saying that this law is that inadequate -- I haven't looked at it that closely yet -- but that's just the sort of thing Congress typically does in situations like this.

#19 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,591 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 18 December 2009 - 02:12 PM

It would be hard to enforce such a law that only says "commercial volume has to be the same or lower than the program" unless there was also a regulation on program volume... As others suggest, a program could be lower and then by default make a submitted commercial in violation of the law.

I'll agree to the annoyance factor of significant volume changes... but I think they are going to have to look at some other way to discourage the practice.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#20 OFFLINE   lwilli201

lwilli201

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 04:44 PM

Whether or not something is “too loud” is a judgment that varies with each listener. The decision is influenced by many factors like content and style, the speaker’s voice and tone, background sounds, and music.

The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) does not currently regulate the volume of programs or commercials. Broadcasters and program producers, however, have considerable latitude to vary the “loudness” of the program material.

And that is why congress got into it.

Sounds like one big cop out to me. That statement is pure hogwash. But that is just my opinion. :lol:
1-HR21-100, 2-HR21-700, 1 w/eSATA, all networked, unsupported MRV. AT9 Dish(110 & 119 disabled) and SWM8.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...