Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Analog and Digital A/V switch

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 02:16 PM

I'm looking for a switch that will accept both analog (specifically rca) and digital (optical) audio inputs, but will output both over optical. I've found several that will accept both types of inputs, but will only output analog over an analog connection and digital over digital. IE, it has two outputs. If the source you select is analog, it only outputs over the analog output, and if the source is digital, it only outputs over the digital output.

Anyone know if such a beast exists? I haven't had any luck finding one. I have found analog to digital converters, but I'd really rather have one unit that accepts both and outputs both over the digital connection.

Thanks in advance.

PS, a purely audio switch is fine for my situation, though one that did audio and video would work too.

Edited by puckwithahalo, 16 December 2009 - 02:18 PM.
PS

The postings on this site are my own and don't represent Dish's positions, strategies, or opinions.

-Puck

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 09:44 PM

I don't believe I've ever seen what you're asking for outside of an A/V receiver...

#3 OFFLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,984 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 09:59 PM

Good luck, here is my wish list item. Not so dissimilar from yours.

#4 OFFLINE   puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 03:55 AM

Ah well. I'll just have to use an rca-to-optical converter, an analog switch, and an optical switch. The reason I have to do this is I have a surround sound system that the left audio on all of the analog inputs has gone out. Optical input and the built-in dvd player get sound just fine. Soooo....

4-way analog switch with analog components connected to it, an rca-to-optical converter connected to the output on that, and optical from that and my devices with optical outputs to an optical switch. And finally optical from that to the optical input on the sound system. Ah well, I was hoping to make it easier for non-techy friends to figure out, but it'll do the trick :D
The postings on this site are my own and don't represent Dish's positions, strategies, or opinions.

-Puck

Protected By... spam firewall...And...