Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

new sign up

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   hp123

hp123

AllStar

• Registered
  • 57 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 10:01 AM

i have sign up for new direct tv with dvr and one regular receiver.....i have guy coming on weekend to set up ....which model dvr i should be getting...R16,R22? so i can keep eye on model # since i donot want to get old kind receiver...

thanks
hp

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 10:07 AM

You will most likely receive an R15 or R16. The R22 was designed for a few specific markets, and has been discontinued.

#3 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 17 December 2009 - 08:22 PM

i have sign up for new direct tv with dvr and one regular receiver.....i have guy coming on weekend to set up ....which model dvr i should be getting...R16,R22? so i can keep eye on model # since i donot want to get old kind receiver...

thanks
hp

It depends on two things: If you have subscribed to HD service or SD service (high-definition/standard-definition) and what your installer has on his truck.

If you have SD service, you will get an R15 or an R16 DVR. It could be new or reconditioned. Both units are almost identical the only exception being that the R16 supports a fancier multiswitch which you will not get with only two receivers on your account.

If you have HD service, you could get all different kinds of HD DVR's again depending on what your installer has on his truck. Some are newer than others but they have some different features including the capablility of receiving over the air broadcasts and/or the capability to record more programs due to the size of the hard disk.

DirecTV's system only specifies one of two DVR types: SD or HD You can't request a particular model since the installers carry different models.

The only way to ensure that you get a BRAND NEW CURRENT MODEL receiver is to get one from a retailer like Best Buy or a web retailer. But being a new customer, even if you went to Best Buy they wouldn't let you take one home.

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#4 OFFLINE   dudg

dudg

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 01:29 PM

I signed up for an upgrade to SD-DVR on 12/10. The installer came on 12/14 with a R22-200. I was plesently supprised.

#5 OFFLINE   LOCODUDE

LOCODUDE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,648 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 18 December 2009 - 02:25 PM

I signed up for an upgrade to SD-DVR on 12/10. The installer came on 12/14 with a R22-200. I was plesently supprised.

WOW.......Lucky you... :)

Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it.

Confucius

spam firewall