Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

old dish with new receiver- Compatible ?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   minnhawk

minnhawk

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 04:49 PM

I recently had a DTV HD dish and receiver installed at home. I had them add a regular receiver, a D12-100, for the TV downstairs. My plan was to take the regular receiver back and forth to the lake cabin on weekends. DTV had no problem with me doing this. I had a dual LNB DTV Dish made by Sony left over from a move I made in 1996 and thought I would use that. I have it all hooked up, but the receiver just says "looking for satellite." I cannot use the menu to access setup or anything on the TV. Dish pointer gave me the direction and elevation which I have pointed toward, wanting to fine tune on the TV but can't. Last time I pointed a dish (in 1996) I could fine tune it once I got in the neighborhood of the satellite; I am getting nothing but "searching for satellite"

1. Is this dish compatible with my new, basic receiver?

2. Is there a way to get into the setup guide on the menu?

3. Am I being an idiot, or what?

Thanks for any help you may give.

Edited by minnhawk, 19 December 2009 - 05:24 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 06:42 PM

1. Yes.

2. Normally, after waiting until the receiver starts up and finally gets to the "searching for sat signal" screen, you can hit the Menu button and get into the Point Dish options.

Remember that the dish needs to have a clear line-of-site to the satellite, and that it is "looking" 22.5 degrees higher than it appears to, being an offset dish.

http://www.bytelive...._image.php?id=3

Also, you can use http://www.dishpointer.com with the address of the cabin. You're aiming at the 101* WL satellite.

#3 OFFLINE   minnhawk

minnhawk

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 10:49 PM

thanks for the info. Am I aiming at:
101W,110W© and 119W?
or
101.1W DirectTV 4S, 9S?

I don't see a 101* WL listed in the menu at dishpointer.com

My receiver absolutely refuses to bring up the menu. I even unplugged it several times and got the "wait three seconds" screen before the DTV logo and searching, but it will not go to the menu. Does this mean I do not have continuity in my line from the dish?
Auuggggh! Vikings are on Sunday evening, and I've already missed the Kansas/Michigan game. I also have a boatload of relatives coming for Christmas up here......where's the panic button?

#4 OFFLINE   wall-e

wall-e

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 11:21 PM

Don’t worry just yet! Let’s see if we can help you out. Welcome to the forum :-)

You are using an old sony dish with the little red light on the lnb?

I just tried to power up a d11 without a sat signal. It took about 8 min to switch from that welcome screen. Now it says “searching for satellite signal… (771)” in the bottom right corner.

At this point, press “menu” on the IRD.

Scroll to “settings” and press select.

Scroll to “setup” and press select.

Scroll to “satellite” and press select.

Scroll to “repeat satellite setup” and press select.

It should give you a warning, proceed.

(this is where I think you are having the problem) Make sure you have selected the round (single or dual LNB) dish. My guess is that a different dish is selected.

If you are using the old sony dish, it will only see the 101 satellite and that is the direction you want it pointed.

Now comes the fun part of finding the satellite! Using the settings/numbers from dishpointer will help, but keep in mind those numbers can be off a bit (from my own experience)

Hope this helps!

#5 OFFLINE   minnhawk

minnhawk

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 08:12 AM

thanks for taking the time to power up that D11 unit to see the sequence and relating that to me. It does make sense that it is programmed to a different dish than the round Sony -- it is probably looking for the HD slimline the installer programmed it to when the installation took place. I'll keep trying to get the set up screen.....and let you know.

Will any of the 101 dishes work? There seem to be several, and at different places in the sky. I'd like to find the one with local channels as well.....(see above post)

#6 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,789 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 20 December 2009 - 10:38 AM

Only the DirecTV satellite at 101 will work. Your receiver won't show signals from any other satellite but if you are using an external signal meter at the dish, most will show any satellite (not just DirecTV).

Once you get to the signal meter screen on your receiver, have someone watch while you SLOWLY adjust the dish checking for signal. Move the dish a small amount (move the LNB maybe an inch), pause and check for signal. Move it another inch, pause and check for signal. Go five to ten degrees either side of where you think it should be pointed. If you don't find a signal doing that, adjust elevation a little and go back through the arc. Repeat as necessary.

If you are using a compass to find your direction, make sure declination (variance from magnetic to true north) isn't a factor in your aiming. Dishpointer.com should show you the actual direction relative to what you see around you, making it easier to figure out where to point the dish.

As for local channels, they are on spot beams and are only available in the general area of your home stations (maybe 100 miles or so). There is nothing you can do to get locals from one location someplace else outside of the spot.

#7 OFFLINE   minnhawk

minnhawk

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 09:07 PM

Thanks all for your suggestions and advice.
I never could get past the "searching for satellite" screen, so I gave up and came back home this evening to watch the Vikings on HD, reload, and get ready to go back up for Christmas. I am going to plug in the D12 receiver here in order to get to the set up menu. I'm going to select the round dish to change the receiver's configuration here, and then take it back up to the cabin. I'll let everyone know how that works out! Thanks again!

#8 OFFLINE   CJTE

CJTE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 09:32 PM

Thanks all for your suggestions and advice.
I never could get past the "searching for satellite" screen, so I gave up and came back home this evening to watch the Vikings on HD, reload, and get ready to go back up for Christmas. I am going to plug in the D12 receiver here in order to get to the set up menu. I'm going to select the round dish to change the receiver's configuration here, and then take it back up to the cabin. I'll let everyone know how that works out! Thanks again!

How long did you wait?
My d11-500 takes a while (2 beers with a meal). Eventually the welcome, searching for satellite (white) screen times out and drops me to a black screen with the screensaver. At that point you can use the menu guide provided above.

An after thought I also had for the rest of the guys in this thread, which may not matter, BUT, isn't the D12 a SWiM compatible receiver? And maybe the OP got a SWiM LNB??
Probably doesn't matter (especially since the OP would be redoing the sat setup anyway).

#9 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 09:47 PM

How long did you wait?
My d11-500 takes a while (2 beers with a meal). Eventually the welcome, searching for satellite (white) screen times out and drops me to a black screen with the screensaver. At that point you can use the menu guide provided above.

An after thought I also had for the rest of the guys in this thread, which may not matter, BUT, isn't the D12 a SWiM compatible receiver? And maybe the OP got a SWiM LNB??
Probably doesn't matter (especially since the OP would be redoing the sat setup anyway).

Yes, the D12 is SWiMable.

I noticed the OP mentioned the SWiM lnb & splitter, but he didn't mention the PI. Without the power inserter, dish no worky. :P
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#10 OFFLINE   CJTE

CJTE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 10:17 PM

Yes, the D12 is SWiMable.

I noticed the OP mentioned the SWiM lnb & splitter, but he didn't mention the PI. Without the power inserter, dish no worky. :P

At home, but what about where the Sony Round dish?

#11 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 10:22 PM

At home, but what about where the Sony Round dish?

My bad, must have got threads mixed up.

Anyway, the D12 will work with the ancient Sony dish assuming the LNB still works and it's aimed right.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#12 OFFLINE   sattec

sattec

Godfather

• Registered
  • 261 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 12:53 AM

I didn't read the whole thread but that sony dish is a stacked 101 solution, he'll need to go into stacked mode on the D-12...
MDU only.

#13 OFFLINE   minnhawk

minnhawk

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 08:30 AM

Ok, we're past Christmas now, and still no signal. I took the D-12 home, hooked it up to the HD satellite, found it fine. I was allowed two choices for the dish configuration only, so I picked the second option. When I repowered up the D-12, it couldn't find the HD slimline dish, so I thought I was in business for taking it back up to the lake. Got here, hooked up the D-12, still can't get past the "searching for satellite" screen.

1. Does the dish have to be fairly accurately "pointed" for the D-12 to move past the "searching" screen? This might be the problem......

2. Can I use the gold colored radioshack/walmart/local hardware store splitter connections anywhere on this system? I thought that might have been a problem, so I pulled the splitter and used a male-male connector to the direct cable to the TV.

3. Will DirectTV perform a service call to get this set up if I can't get it done? Are we talking $50 or $250?

Edited by minnhawk, 26 December 2009 - 08:39 AM.

#14 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,789 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 26 December 2009 - 10:32 AM

2. Can I use the gold colored radioshack/walmart/local hardware store splitter connections anywhere on this system? I thought that might have been a problem, so I pulled the splitter and used a male-male connector to the direct cable to the TV.

You should have a direct coax run from the dish to the receiver. No splitters allowed! Connectors could be the problem, yours sound like the twist on kind, which are horrible. You should have good compression connectors. Could very will be a wiring problem.

3. Will DirectTV perform a service call to get this set up if I can't get it done? Are we talking $50 or $250?

Given this is not at your service address, you might have a problem getting a service call. Maybe find a tech in the area of your cabin and offer to pay him to help you out. Or call a local satellite dealer.

#15 OFFLINE   minnhawk

minnhawk

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 07:52 PM

No, I used compression fittings on all connections,and I have the beat up fingers to prove it. (quad shield cable, fittings weren't for quad shield). The gold splitters -- screw in kind, one in, two out. I am no longer using them but the two cables from the satellite run to a wall box in the utility room. The seven room location cables also run to the box. In order to see if I have a signal, I used a male/male connector on one of the satellite cable runs in the box to the one in the family room. If I can't use a male/male connector, what does anyone recommend to connect the two cables coming from the dish to the seven cables going out to the various rooms? I wired for the future with this retirement home, so I don't want/need all seven rooms to have DTV; I planned on moving the receiver to the room we wanted to watch TV in until we move up here for good.

Again, do I have to be really close to aiming the satellite to get beyond the "waiting for signal" screen on the D-12 receiver?

I called a local antenna/dish guy, but with 19" of new snow, he isn't real excited about driving his 2WD van 35 miles over here for a dish aiming project. He does have the signal meters and can probably figure this out; I am just too much of a DYI person to give up so easily. However, the college bowls are in full swing........any more ideas?

#16 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,789 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 26 December 2009 - 10:28 PM

Yes, it is perfectly okay to use a barrel connector to jumper the coax from the dish to the coax to the receiver.

The dish does need to be really close to get past the waiting for signal. In other words, you need a signal, and the dish needs to be properly aimed to get that. If you can't get to the signal meters on your receiver, then you may need to use a separate meter to do the initial dish aiming. "Close enough" in this case means the elevation is set correctly, and the azimuth is such that the LNB assembly itself is within an inch or less of where it needs to be (horizontal movement).

I checked with a D11 receiver today, and while it is displaying searching for signal I pressed the exit button, then the menu button and was able to go to the signal meters. I don't have a D12 to check with or I would.

#17 OFFLINE   2dogz

2dogz

Godfather

• Registered
  • 499 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 01:11 AM

In order to see if I have a signal, I used a male/male connector on one of the satellite cable runs in the box to the one in the family room. If I can't use a male/male connector, what does anyone recommend to connect the two cables coming from the dish to the seven cables going out to the various rooms?

Point of order. On the planet Coax, where all the little wire spools and connectors were born before they migrated to earth, the bare wire of the center connector, aka the stinger, is the male organ in the sex life of the wire. Therefore, a barrel connector is a female/female connector. Now go apologize to the barrel connectors. :)

To answer your question, the barrel connectors are about the only way to correctly splice two pieces of coax together.

Edited by 2dogz, 27 December 2009 - 01:21 PM.
sp

Directv since 1997
2x HR21-100 2x HR22-100 1x HR20-700R
Sony Sat T60 Tivo Still Truckin'
AU9 WB616 OTA: Channel Master CM4221

#18 OFFLINE   minnhawk

minnhawk

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 09:58 PM

well, this "fix" got interesting. I got the local TV guy out to point the dish. I couldn't get past the "searching for satellite" screen on the D-12 , ever, but he was able to by holding select and exit at the same time. We got the ping going, and out into the -7 below weather to align the dish. No change on the ping as he moved it. We checked for continuity down from the dish to the box in the utility room and then back up to the D-12. Good. Hard started the D-12 to reset, pinged again, no luck getting a signal. Checked for voltage at the dish, no voltage, although continuity. Back to the D-12, got out the multimeter to check for voltage out to the dish. coax from d-12 to wall plate was bad. (now we're getting somewhere!) Back to the ping, back out to the dish, no increase in the ping but voltage at the dish. Replaced the dish with a used DirectV dish (he has a longtime hatred of all things Sony). No increase in ping. Replaced the LNB. No increase in ping. Back to the d-12, where the two of us brainstormed the dish type setup. He was a Dish network independent installer, not too familiar with DirectV menus. Finally convinced him the slimline choices probably just wouldn't work. We selected "multi-switch" in order to get the 18" dish choices to go from gray to black.Selected the 18" round, ran the setup -- D12 said it was happy, started getting signal levels. Back to the dish, moved it slightly, ended up with a 96 strength on transponder 20. Finally have Direct TV in our place.
I have compressed the time frame here some -- after warming ourselves in front of the fireplace several times and taking four attempts to correctly program the D12 to the right dish, I wrote him out a check just over $300. (ouch-I thought we were tag-teaming some) He told me to come by the shop and he'd give me a second receiver, which I did today. Oh well, local guys have to make a living too, and he was here for nearly 3 hours. Happy days are here again, and thanks for everyone for the help and guidance. I don't think I would have ever got it on my own (bad coax? - bad dish? -bad receiver config?) and, if the receiver # checks out and the card he gave me is ok, I'll be in business for a long time. Nice to have the bowl games with company up. -29 this morning, but great snowmobiling all day as it got up to -7 in the afternoon and sunny. Best wishes for the new year from the frozen north.

spam firewall