Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Problems with 2 WB68 Multiswitch Installation (Installed by D*)

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   stflush

stflush

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 10:44 PM

I currently have a need for 9 lines (no SWM).

3 HR20s
1 H20
1 DirecTv Tivo DSR6000

D* installed two Zinwell WB68 multiswitches by splitting the 4 dish lines at the multiswitches. I get searching for satelite errors on almost every receiver with this setup (basically it doesn't work). It was such a struggle with D* just to get things to this point that I haven't bothered them yet with troubleshooting.

I still have the 4 dish lines split but am only using 8 outputs out of one multiswitch (no receivers connected to the second multiswitch) and have no problems with signals on any receiver. But as soon as I install a line to the second multiswitch I get the signal problems.

Should this setup even work? Any suggestions on what I should do? Thanks for the help.

Matt

Edited by stflush, 22 December 2009 - 09:04 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,144 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 12:03 AM

You probably have the lines from the splitters incorrectly connected to the WB68s. The two lines from each splitter have to be connected to the same inputs on each multiswitch; e.g the two lines from splitter 1 connected to the 99/101 13v connector on each multiswitch and so on. It does not matter in which order you connect them as long as they are "paired" correctly, and are connected to the first four ports of each multiswitch (not the flexports). Also the splitters MUST pass power on both ports, not just one.

#3 OFFLINE   CJTE

CJTE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 01:50 AM

texasbrit is right on the money.
I have that setup in 2 locations. An AU9 (Slimline), and an 18x20 3LNB with 4 power passing splitters to 2 WB68's.
As stated, the most important part is making sure that each split line is connected to the same place on both WB68's.

I did manage to cook one of the WB68's due to a bad splitter (which became deformed and broke open the welds), but stuff happens. This setup definitely can work if done correctly.

#4 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 08:21 AM

Posted Image

It is critical that any line that is split between the dish and the switches has the split line going into the same port on all switches, as this diagram shows.

It may also be helpful to "load-balance" the two switches, so that you have 5 lines on one and 4 on the other.

#5 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,005 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 22 December 2009 - 09:59 AM

Your symptoms suggest incorrect connection and the above information should help you resolve that. But, if everything is connected correctly, and the splitters are dual port power passing (pass power on both ports), and it is still not working correctly then you need to look into more complex trouble shooting or installation options.

If your coax runs are long, adding a Sonora power inserter/phase locker between the dish and the splitters might help. Make sure none of your coax lines are bad (shorted connections, etc.).

#6 OFFLINE   stflush

stflush

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 02:18 PM

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'll check it out tonight and see what I have for the splitter setup, and go from there. Let you know what I find.

#7 OFFLINE   stflush

stflush

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 09:07 PM

Looks like you guys nailed it. The split lines are not going into the same input on the two multiswitches. The D* tech was on the phone with someone talking about the install, so now it's quite obvious he didn't know what he was doing. :) Thanks again for all the feedback.

Matt

#8 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 01:30 PM

The tech had probably never seen a wiring chart like the one I posted, and if was his first time trying to use splitters like that, it would be difficult to communicate over the phone exactly what needed to be done.

While doing this is becoming a little more common, it's still fairly rare and somewhat "advanced".

#9 OFFLINE   1948GG

1948GG

Icon

• Registered
  • 902 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 06:04 PM

The schema that 'Battlezone' drew above is 'correct', in that it 'should' work.

BUT, several years ago DirecTV in my parts got into big trouble, lots of customers with that setup of 'splitting' the dish outputs to dual WB68's were having tons of 'searching for satellite' probs (generally intermittent) and the 'techs' weren't able to figure it out.

So, MDU companies eventually tracked down by the customers (including me). We replaced all (repeat: ALL) those setups with the WB616 16 port powered switch, and elminated all the problems. Again, ALL.

The price tag was a bit high (the WB616's were >$250 or so), then the price went down, now it's back up high again, with Zinwell apparently stopping production of the item. Supposedly, although I haven't checked it out, a 'newer' version of the WB68 came out when the E2-Expander module was released for use with the SWM8 (it being the third version replacing the E0 and E1 'splitters'), and the need for the WB616 was deemed to be extinct.

But, there are still quite a few around, and I haven't been able to completely verify from Zinwell if the WB616 is 'out of production'. There are still quite a few available from eBay, at the 'original' high price. But they do work, and I haven't had any fail (we put in close to 100+ of them 'in the day').

Again, I haven't put one of the 'new' WB68's (version 'X'?) on the bench. Virtually (how about 'all'?) everyone these days is going with the SWM8, and if they need >8 ports, going with the E2-Expander/Splitter. After all, if you have older equipment, the SWM8's have 2 ports each to do those as well.

#10 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,847 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 06:28 PM

^ wonder how many of those splitters were single leg power passing?
The WB616 is dead.
SWiM is the wave of the future.
The WB616 will be replaced with the SWiM-16.
BTW: the SWM8 has 3 legacy ports and the up coming SWiM 16 will have 4, thou it's hard to call them legacy, since they are "full band" and you can in fact run a second SWiM 16 off them [no more splitters].
A.K.A VOS

#11 OFFLINE   stflush

stflush

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 09:08 AM

Well, I'm back to the same problem as before. Changed the inputs as per the diagram above, and it worked fine for a few days, but I woke up this morning to the dreaded 771 searching for signal on my main receiver. The dish is clear (no snow), and if I change the channel and then return back to the channel that was getting the 771 the picture comes back, but only for a short period of time, then the 771 message is back. I also split up the outputs between the multiswitches as suggested.

Anything else I can do, or is this setup just not going to work for me? Thanks again.

#12 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,005 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 29 December 2009 - 09:29 AM

Well, I'm back to the same problem as before. Changed the inputs as per the diagram above, and it worked fine for a few days, but I woke up this morning to the dreaded 771 searching for signal on my main receiver. The dish is clear (no snow), and if I change the channel and then return back to the channel that was getting the 771 the picture comes back, but only for a short period of time, then the 771 message is back. I also split up the outputs between the multiswitches as suggested.

Anything else I can do, or is this setup just not going to work for me? Thanks again.

There appears to be a problem with the 119 satellite this morning. You might not have a problem in your installation.

#13 OFFLINE   stflush

stflush

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 07:35 PM

There appears to be a problem with the 119 satellite this morning. You might not have a problem in your installation.

Ok thanks. Everything appears to be back to normal.

#14 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 04:52 PM

Ok thanks. Everything appears to be back to normal.

Having read all of the above...and copied the diagram into my truck notes......the untested component is still the second WB 6x8. It could be ok but switching it line for line now that it is wired correctly might be the next step if a problem returns, as a test.

Also know that the outputs on those switches are independent and interchangable (except for the ones used in the "cascade"...if you find a bad port another unused one should work.....mark any defective ports.

Joe

Edited by joe diamond, 30 December 2009 - 04:54 PM.
typo

#15 OFFLINE   bobby5220

bobby5220

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 09:49 PM

Will the Battlezone Schema work with (2) WB616 multi switches and not (2) WB68 switches

#16 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,156 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 24 March 2013 - 12:43 AM

Will the Battlezone Schema work with (2) WB616 multi switches and not (2) WB68 switches

Sure if you already have two of them as they (the WB616s) are no longer in production.

And remember they will both require external power from A/C adapters of course.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...