Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q1 2010 Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2629 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   bradhasbrouck

bradhasbrouck

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 08:29 AM

I am hoping for for the Duluth, MN-Superior WI Locals in HD

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Movieman

Movieman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,044 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 08:42 AM

Call me crazy but just as we are seeing Bluray PPV channels I see 1080p channels in 2010. Maybe not a lot but i think there is enough tv's out there to get a few going. I know the broadcasters arent at 1080p yet but doesnt mean that it cant be upconverted.

#23 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,667 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 09:02 AM

As this is the thread for 1Q 2010 HD Channels...I anticipate 2-4 new HD channels during that time period, including 2 that seem to be in higher demand above the rest

Otherwise....the big bang in term of numbers will be in the sequel thread. :D
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#24 OFFLINE   spaul

spaul

Godfather

• Registered
  • 264 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 09:02 AM

I,hope that all movie channels are in HD ,espcially premiums which,on the HBO,Cinemax end is very lacking as mentioned before.Also would like QVC too since I, and my wife do check it out offten.As aside comment I, hope that the FCC makes Comcast make CSN Phila. available to Directv soon.Mostly because it keeps any viewing of my home teams vertually impossible.I, as mentioned before think even if not passed on I should be able to get the games with extra innings & NBA league pass if you subscribe.They shoudn,t be blacked out with this even if you receive the other teams feed .This isn,t a perfect solution to getting CSN Phila. but,could at the least get the games if I,bought the extra package whichnow is no goodsince all I care about is my local teams .Excuse my going off again about Comcast I, couldn,t help my self Happy New Year to all.

#25 OFFLINE   Syzygy

Syzygy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 09:14 AM

Stuart Sweet said that DIRECTV12 has the capacity for 80 HD channels.

Although some (up to 50?) premium channels undoubtedly will be added, I don't really want to spend money on HBO or Starz. I'll stay with SHO until Dexter's over with, but all but one of DirecTV's Showtime group are already in HD.

Here's my little list of 34 non-premium HD channels (of fairly wide interest) that DirecTV might add in 2010. I've italicized 16 especially interesting ones.

AMC
BBC America
E!
ESPNU
Fox College Sports
Fox Movie
Fox Soccer
Fuse
G4
Hallmark
Hallmark Movie
History International
HLN
IFC
Investigation Discovery
Lifetime
Lifetime Movie
MSNBC
Nat Geo Wild
NFL Red Zone [not the same as DirecTV's proprietary Red Zone]
Outdoor
Ovation
Oxygen
Pets
Reelz
Shorts HD
Sundance
TCM
Travel
TruTV
TV One
Versus
WE
WGN

There are 24 more HD channels that DirecTV might add in 2010 that IMO are of limited interest:

3 possible C-SPAN HD channels
Cars
Centric
Cooking
Comedy.TV
ES.TV
EWTN
Fashion
Fox Sports en Español
Gospel Music
Home Shopping
Jewelry
Logo
Mav TV
MyDestination.TV
QVC
Recipe.TV
RFD
style
TBN
Wealth
World Fishing

Some of these are shopping channels. Whaddaya wanna bet D* makes sure those income-earners go HD before more popular channels do?

Note: My ideas about which channels are going HD are derived from the table at the start of the thread Official AVS National HD Channel Lineups. Sleuth, for example, isn't in that table, so I didn't list it even though I'd like to see it go HD too.

Edited by Syzygy, 01 January 2010 - 10:46 PM.

Frank TiVangelist since Aug 1999, HD since Dec 2002, DirecTV since Aug 2004, DECA/MRV since Nov 2010
HR24-100 > HDMI > Pio 5020FD plasma
HR24-100 > HDMI > Sony KV30HS420 tube

DirecTV & Dish HD Channel Spreadsheet
DirecTV & Dish HD Channels Listed by Package

#26 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,636 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 09:17 AM

TCM is on top of my list.

#27 OFFLINE   elaclair

elaclair

Rescued Racers Live Here

• DBSTalk Club
  • 951 posts
  • LocationDel Mar, CA

Posted 01 January 2010 - 10:05 AM

I would want REELZ in HD if they promise to stop running those obnoxious commercials.....

#28 OFFLINE   brian30tw

brian30tw

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 10:10 AM

AMC is my number one wish. I'm tired of watching Mad Men in standard definition!!

#29 OFFLINE   RobertDeckman

RobertDeckman

Mentor

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 10:27 AM

Yep, AMC in HD is a must. We need to see Mad Men in HD!!!

#30 OFFLINE   dcowboy7

dcowboy7

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,629 posts
  • LocationPequannock, NJ

Posted 01 January 2010 - 10:28 AM

HSNHD because of:

callie, melissa, katie, natalie, kristy. :D

#31 OFFLINE   sdk009

sdk009

Icon

• Registered
  • 671 posts
  • LocationStanislaus County Farmland

Posted 01 January 2010 - 10:36 AM

Gotta have CSNBA & CSNCA on full-time. Also BBCA, Style, Travel, & MSNBC.

#32 OFFLINE   slimoli

slimoli

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,979 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 11:02 AM

I want all the movie channels in HD, I'm a movie buff. Bring back Versus, add Travel Channel and I'll be happy.

#33 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,197 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 11:07 AM

I would like to see WCUI-HD - a Chicago Local that carries a lot CUBS, WHITE SOX and other sports.

Of course, bring back VERSUS-HD!!

Dan

add WPWR HD and CLTV HD to that list as well.

#34 ONLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,848 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 11:08 AM

I haven't had a chance to check... are there any new HD channels yet? ;)
HR34-700, HR22-100

#35 OFFLINE   swaff

swaff

Hail to the Redskins

• DBSTalk Club
  • 180 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 11:26 AM

TCM is on top of my list.

Yes- Turner Classic is at the top of my list

And, after watching Travel in HD at my son's house via Uverse over Christmas, I'll add a vote for Travel as well

Slimline 3
Living Room - HR22-100 - DECA Connected
Master Bedroom - HR21-200 - DECA Connected

LR HR23-700 - RIP 5-13-11
LR/MB HR23-700 - RIP 8-13-11
MB HR21-200 - RIP 12-10-12

My Complete Setup

#36 OFFLINE   sportshermit

sportshermit

Legend

• Registered
  • 115 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 11:32 AM

Ottumwa, Ia/Kirksville, Mo and Hannibal, Mo/Quincy, Ill locals in some form. HD would be great but having some in any form would be something.

PBS in some form of HD.
Versus
ESPNU
Any movie channel in HD we don't have

Also (and I'm sure it's been discussed) why do we have no stations from Canada such as TSN? We have every Spanish channel and many other foreign offerings.
Directv subscriber since 1995.

#37 OFFLINE   anleva

anleva

Icon

• Registered
  • 567 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 11:34 AM

Please use this thread to discuss your feelings about upcoming national HD channels.

This thread will not be as tightly moderated as the rest of the site, but here's the tradeoff... in exchange for your being able to rant a bit more, you can be assured that absolutely no one at DIRECTV will be using this thread for reference.

You can ask for new HD all you want, but DIRECTV's marketing department knows that the 100-150 contributors to this thread are only a small part of the 18,000,000 total subscribers.

Please remember that all forum rules are still in effect, and please do not "bump" this thread.

LOL and good grief on your dismissiveness of posters opinions and requests in this thread. Well at least your honest in telling potential posters that posting in this thread is an exercise in futility as no one at DirecTV cares about what is said in this thread. Primal scream therapy then maybe?

TALK TO THE HAND! :rolleyes:

#38 OFFLINE   leprechaunshawn

leprechaunshawn

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 11:38 AM

I would like to see Travel Channel. That is the one channel I miss from when I was with TWC.

#39 OFFLINE   tcusta00

tcusta00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,911 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 11:40 AM

LOL and good grief on your dismissiveness of posters opinions and requests in this thread. Well at least your honest in telling potential posters that posting in this thread is an exercise in futility as no one at DirecTV cares about what is said in this thread. Primal scream therapy then maybe?

TALK TO THE HAND! :rolleyes:

I think you're confused. The mods don't represent or work for DirecTV; Stuart is just trying to set the expectation (as he's done for the year+ this thread has been recycled and regurgitated) that posters who expect decision-makers at DirecTV to be using this thread as their free marketing focus group will be disappointed. Review the history of these threads and you'll understand why. Calm down and talk to your own hand.

#40 OFFLINE   anleva

anleva

Icon

• Registered
  • 567 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 11:45 AM

I think you're confused. The mods don't represent or work for DirecTV; Stuart is just trying to set the expectation (as he's done for the year+ this thread has been recycled and regurgitated) that posters who expect decision-makers at DirecTV to be using this thread as their free marketing focus group will be disappointed. Review the history of these threads and you'll understand why. Calm down and talk to your own hand.

I'm plenty calm, you probably need to work calming down yourself though. I think I represented Stuart's statement at the beginning of the thread accurately and understood his position perfectly. I actually appreciated the fact that he set the tone that no one at DirecTV will be reading or referencing this thread so our "rants" are for our own enjoyment only.

What was it that I wrote that was different than the message Stuart sent at the beginning of this thread?

spam firewall