Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q1 2010 Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2629 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 01:02 PM

Happy New Year all. :goodjob:

Travel Channel in HD is all I want. OK, Versus too. :D

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 37,028 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 01:35 PM

Yes, Hutchinshouse, we get that. You want Travel Channel. Thank you.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#53 OFFLINE   seern

seern

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,079 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 02:37 PM

I go along with all the nationals, but what I really want is my local public station's hd feed. D* is already wasting band width to broadcast 2 channels of the local, one is a sub-carrier with different programming then the main channel, and also the alternative broadcast channel so why not the hd? :confused: I have been reading alot of these threads concerning locals and have not seen any other city with 3 channels from the same public broadcaster.
Sharon
HR24-100
HR34-700
All units in DECA cloud
H24-100 removed from service

#54 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 02:54 PM

DIY & Style in HD please. I'm addicted to the home improvement stuff! So much cool info! So much learning!

Mmmm. input!..
Posted Image

Edited by ndole, 01 January 2010 - 03:24 PM.

"He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."

#55 OFFLINE   Smthkd

Smthkd

Icon

• Registered
  • 928 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 02:58 PM

Happy New Year all. :goodjob:

Travel Channel in HD is all I want. OK, Versus too. :D

I 2nd this motion! All in Favor!.................

Media/Family Room:
Panasonic TC-P65S1 Plasma , Toshiba XA2 (28 HD DVD's),Sony 1Tera PS3 Sony 500gig PS4 Glacier White, 580 Blu-Ray, HP Media Center w/Kodi 1400 Digital HD Movies, Onkyo 818, Infinity CC2, 4 Infinity RS5, 2 Infinity Overture 3,Velodyne DDS12, Dish Hopper Directv HD DVR,Monster Power HTS2500 MKII, SlingBox ProHD
Master Bedroom:
LG 60" THX 3D Plasma, Sony STR-DA4ES, Toshiba A2, Sony ES Blu-Ray player, Directv Genie
Seating Room:
Panasonic 34" HDtv, Toshiba A2, Dish Joey

#56 OFFLINE   je4755

je4755

Godfather

• Registered
  • 386 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 03:28 PM

There remain, of course, many imponderables (for customers, at any rate); some reside within DirecTV’s control, some without. For example:

With which providers has DirecTV successfully concluded negotiations for new HD programming? Will many highly-anticipated channels – yes, including Travel! – not be offered for several months after D12 becomes operational (SR noted it “will take some time” for all channels to appear)?

With which providers, beyond Comcast, has DirecTV failed to reach agreement?

Which smaller markets (including mine) now will receive HD LIL? When? How comprehensive will be the suite of local channels offered by DirecTV? Will it match or at least approach cable?

Will the FCC meeting on January 29, addressing in part the terrestrial loophole, ultimately translate into availability of CSN Philadelphia and other affected RSNs?

#57 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,488 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 04:38 PM

i 2nd this motion! All in favor!.................

I Third this Motion!!! Travel Channel in HD!!! Yeah!!! :D
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#58 OFFLINE   Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,453 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 04:57 PM

What one second... Hutchinshouse wants Travel Channel?!? :sure:

;)
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.

#59 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,488 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 05:08 PM

;)

Yes, I think Hutch wantx The Travel Channel In HD as well as others but we won't mention them. :lol:
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#60 OFFLINE   Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 05:16 PM

;)

+1

That Hutchinshouse guy is so repetitive. I really wish DIRECTV would add the channel just to shut him up.

#61 OFFLINE   Indiana627

Indiana627

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,177 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 05:24 PM

Top of my list is HD LIL for Binghamton, NY market (we don't even have SD LIL), and Lifetime HD as that channel has our only SD series link for Project Runway, which the next season starts this month and is the first season to be in HD. If our collective speculation is anywhere near right that D* may add a few more national HD channels to D10 and/or D11 now that they know D12 is safely in space and once NFL ST ends this weekend, then I hope Lifetime HD is one of them.
Mark

"We named the dog Indiana."
Family Room: HR24-100; WD10EVCS 1TB drive in Antec MX-1; connected via HDMI to Denon AVR-2313CI; 5.1 setup with Boston Acoustics A250 fronts, A225C center, A25 surrounds, ASW650 sub; video to Sony 52W4100 via HDMI; hardwired to Linksys WRT54G
Bedroom: HR21-200 with AM21 & Philips PHDTV1 Antenna, HDMI to Dynex 32" TV; hardwired to Linksys WRT54G
(1) Slimline 3 LBN dish (2 lines direct to each HR2x. No multiswitch.)
D* since January 2003

#62 OFFLINE   Movieman

Movieman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,044 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 05:31 PM

In going through my guide I think I would like to see the FMC 258 go HD. Some pretty good movies on that channel.

#63 OFFLINE   Barry in Conyers

Barry in Conyers

Godfather

• Registered
  • 357 posts
  • LocationMetro-Atlanta

Posted 01 January 2010 - 05:47 PM

I would like to see more new HD channels in the next three months than we have seen in the last six months.

#64 OFFLINE   gopherscot

gopherscot

Legend

• Registered
  • 228 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 05:51 PM

I am glad you get it ... seems D* doesn't though!

#65 OFFLINE   pfp

pfp

Whatever

• Registered
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 05:56 PM

Versus
I do, I offer a complete and utter retraction. The imputation was totally without basis in fact, and was in no way fair comment, and was motivated purely by malice, and I deeply regret any distress that my comments may have caused you, or your family, and I hereby undertake not to repeat any such slander at any time in the future.

#66 OFFLINE   studdad

studdad

Icon

• Registered
  • 654 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 06:17 PM

With which providers, beyond Comcast, has DirecTV failed to reach agreement?

Good luck finding that one out. D* is not too keen on sharing that info.

#67 OFFLINE   studdad

studdad

Icon

• Registered
  • 654 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 06:22 PM

In going through my guide I think I would like to see the FMC 258 go HD. Some pretty good movies on that channel.

Agreed. Has anyone heard anything about Chiller? I know NBC put in on hold for HD a while back, but just wondering if there is any new news?

#68 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 17,565 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 06:24 PM

I wonder if the new rainbow media contract includes all the channels in hd now...

And now that d12 is up.. I actually anticipate some more HD this year!

#69 OFFLINE   QuickDrop

QuickDrop

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 06:56 PM

To be fair to everyone, I would like to see as much of D*'s SD lineup simulcasted in HD as D12's bandwidth and channel availability allows.

#70 OFFLINE   je4755

je4755

Godfather

• Registered
  • 386 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 07:02 PM

Good luck finding that one out. D* is not too keen on sharing that info.

Agree. That's why I characterized the questions as "imponderables."

#71 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,910 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 01 January 2010 - 07:02 PM

To be fair to everyone, I would like to see as much of D*'s SD lineup simulcasted in HD as D12's bandwidth and channel availability allows.

I agree. I'm thinking that maybe in the next 2 to 5 years that SD channels will slowly go away and be replaced by HD only channels. Receivers then could downrez the HD signals to SDTV's, if there are still any left by that time. That would free up a bunch of bandwidth at 101.

#72 OFFLINE   oklahoma258

oklahoma258

Mentor

• Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 08:41 PM

ESPNU has already been announced.

I'm guessing Travel, BBCA, WGN and some movie channels to make people want to subscribe to them some more will be the first ones to roll out.

When did D* say that ESPNUHD would be on??!! Please tell me because i have been waiting a long time for it! Thanks

#73 OFFLINE   Coca Cola Kid

Coca Cola Kid

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,634 posts
  • LocationMt. Morris, MI

Posted 01 January 2010 - 08:45 PM

When did D* say that ESPNUHD would be on??!! Please tell me because i have been waiting a long time for it! Thanks

They reached a new carriage agreement back in May which said they'd add it by the end of the first quarter of 2010, so we should get it in the next 3 months, hopefully by March Madness.

DirecTV Press Release May 19, 2009 DIRECTV TO OFFER ESPNU IN ITS CHOICE PACKAGE - ESPNU's Distribution More Than 46 Million Subscribers

DIRECTV customer

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of other DIRECTV customers

My giant list of missing or wrong logos

#74 OFFLINE   dirtyblueshirt

dirtyblueshirt

Under Suspicion

• Registered
  • 1,092 posts
  • LocationAnaheim, CA

Posted 01 January 2010 - 08:53 PM

All I want for 2010 is BBC America HD and AMC HD. Oh, and CSPAN HD... because... well... ok, I can't justify the last one.
Aaron Slater
Anaheim, CA
Network+, Security+, All-around NiceGuy™

#75 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 37,028 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 09:20 PM

Gentlemen and ladies, I'd like to explain the posts I've made at the top of this forum.

First of all, I'm a fan of order, and I like to keep these forums orderly. So I created one thread where all of you can feel free to anticipate new HD channels, instead of having multiple threads where a lot of the same stuff is said over and over. It's been a successful tack so far, and most folks have been ok with it. If you disagree with me on this, I respect your opinion; please let me know by private message.

I did my best to set expectations here. Is it "primal scream" therapy? I wouldn't call it that, but I am trying to give people a place to rant. DIRECTV has a huge marketing apparatus researching new channels, and then when they find channels they want to offer they start negotiations. Sometimes those negotiations are successful and sometimes they're not.

At any rate, I think that we have to humbly admit that we're a very small part of the subscriber base and we don't have total control over the process, nor should we. It's fun to be part of an internet community and rant, and I want you all to have that experience as much as you want without it taking over the entire forum.

We moderators do our best and we are open to suggestions... please let us know.
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...