Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

H20: 0x4138/0x4140 Issues/Discussion

trouble

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,908 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 11:36 AM

H20: 0x4138 and 0x4140

Staggered rollout began 12/16/09.

This is a maintenance release, no new features and nothing but "under the hood" fixes.

Edited by Stuart Sweet, 23 March 2010 - 10:40 AM.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 12:09 PM

I wouldn't hold out much hope for any future updates for the H20-600. It's just been added to the "scrap receiver list", they won't be refurbished and sent back out into the field anymore. They've been plagued with unresolved overheating issues.

I'd be interested to see with this software update, if the H20-100 will utilize a phone connection through SWiM from another IRD on the system. So far, H20-100's (& -600's for that matter) need their own separate phone line still.
"He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."

#3 OFFLINE   Mark L

Mark L

Godfather

• Registered
  • 282 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 08:09 PM

Ugghhh, this update is slow as molasses. I went out in the garage and have been watching tv all day and the damn box takes 2 seconds after you push a button to respond. Reminds me of the HR21s and their unbelievably slow response times.

It literally takes 2 seconds to respond to a button push, it's driving me nuts!

Why did they change it?

I also will say the HR21 is now starting to slow down again as well. It was fine, now it's slow again.

DirecTV customer since October 2002, 5 LNB Slimline Dish, SWiM 16, Premiere package, HD package

9 receivers: (2) HR20-700s *1 Owned, (1) HR24-500 *Owned, (1) HR24-200, (1) HR24-100 (1) HR22-100, (1) HR23-700, (1) H21-700, (1) H24-100

#4 OFFLINE   StuartMW

StuartMW

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 05:38 AM

Ugghhh, this update is slow as molasses. I went out in the garage and have been watching tv all day and the damn box takes 2 seconds after you push a button to respond.

My H20-100 was auto updated to 0x4138 on Tues 12/15 @ 2:11a (I was away on business) and has no such issue.
DirecTV H20-100 receiver
Samsung LN40C530 HDTV
Samsung BD-C6800 Blu-ray player
Panasonic DMR-ES15 DVD recorder
Samsung HW-C450 soundbar
Auvio HD AM/FM radio tuner

#5 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,908 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 08:27 AM

Unfortunately our friends at DIRECTV have been a little slow in providing the notes. I'll try to get some out as soon as possible.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#6 OFFLINE   netconcepts

netconcepts

Legend

• Registered
  • 143 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 08:28 AM

I hope they fixed the active content problem with the stretched screen on HD channels.

#7 OFFLINE   retromzc

retromzc

Legend

• Registered
  • 236 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 10:31 AM

My H20-600 also received this update the next night. I do not see the slow response time which Mark L. talked about.
R. B.

1 H20-100 receiver
1 HR24-500 dvr receiver
Sony 40" lcd
Sony XBR46HX929 led

#8 OFFLINE   Spring Rubber

Spring Rubber

AllStar

• Registered
  • 90 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 04:24 PM

Strangely, I got this update on 12/15 at 2:11 AM. That's probably the first time I've ever seen the Chicago market get an update during a staggered rollout early on. Usually, we seem to always get it in the middle of the rollout.

Nothing really seems to be blatantly different. I'm guessing it's just minor bugfixes and perhaps changes to features I don't really use?

By the way, does anyone else like the interface on the H20s better than what they have on the newer receivers? The new interface seems a bit clunky (at least on my H21, it is), and it doesn't look as clean and sharp as what's still being used on the H20s. Since my H20 is as good as dead, I guess it's time to bid this UI farewell. :\

#9 OFFLINE   kd4ao

kd4ao

Legend

• Registered
  • 139 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 08:20 AM

I got 0x4138 on 12/17, H20-600, everything looks good.
Bob

HR-24 200 Wired Network, 42" Toshiba LCD, Bose 321
HR-20 700 Wireless Networked, 32" Sylvania LCD
H-20 100 22" Sony LCD
SWM-16, 3 Rcvrs in my Apt. & 5 Rcvrs in 2 Neighbors Apts.
AU-9
APC Battery backups on all TVs/Rcvrs and SWM PI
Network is Cisco Valet Plus wirelessly linked to LinkSys
WRT54gs router running DD-WRT firmware Repeater Bridged

#10 OFFLINE   louc757

louc757

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 09:48 AM

I'd be interested to see with this software update, if the H20-100 will utilize a phone connection through SWiM from another IRD on the system. So far, H20-100's (& -600's for that matter) need their own separate phone line still.

My H20-100 was updated on 12/17 and I haven't had a phone line hooked up to it for months. I use it in the bedroom, and don't watch any pay per view there, so I didn't see the hassle to install a phone line where the receiver is. It must have gone through the switch to use one of my HR's (all are connected to a phone line and the internet).

I also have not had the slowness issue the other user had posted about.
---------------
DirecTV customer since 1995
2 HR21-200
1 HR20-700
1 H23-600
1 H20-100
1 D11-500

#11 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 08:54 PM

My H20-100 was updated on 12/17 and I haven't had a phone line hooked up to it for months. I use it in the bedroom, and don't watch any pay per view there, so I didn't see the hassle to install a phone line where the receiver is. It must have gone through the switch to use one of my HR's (all are connected to a phone line and the internet).

I also have not had the slowness issue the other user had posted about.

The software updates actually don't come through the phone line. They're downloaded from a particular transponder, right from the satellite. I was talking about ppv and return path functionality. When I install a receiver, I'm judged on whether that receiver has a return path (communication with directv, such as a phone line). I have to meet a minimum 35% on that metric, or risk losing my job.
As of now, a system of any combination on SWiM capable stb's can share 1 phone connection through a SWiM system. All except for the H20x series, which need their own phone connectivity.
I'm hoping that they've fixed that.:)

#12 OFFLINE   bobcamp1

bobcamp1

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 10:05 AM

I got it on both my H20-600s. So far, I have noticed four things:

1. I don't get locals in HD anymore. The resolution is locked to 480p. I do NOT sign up for HD, as I'm in a 72.5 SD locals market with no HDTVs in my house yet I have all HD equipment. If I tune to another HD channel, the resolution is HD with the black screen and blue "channel not purchased" window in the bottom-right corner of the screen.

2. In the resolution menus, 1080p is only available via HDMI. And for me, it's grayed out and not selectable.

3. The format button doesn't cycle through resolutions, just crop vs. stretch vs. letterbox.

With these three changes, I think the receiver now knows that I'm not signed up for HD and it actively disables all HD output. (Interestingly, I believe it's illegal for cable companies to block HD locals.) That's probably why there are no release notes -- it's a reduction in functionality. Companies generally don't advertise that or they use the phrase "various bug fixes."

4. If I tune to a channel with "Scoreguide", and I push a colored button that's NOT red, all the colored buttons become disabled. Closed captioning also stops as well. Sometimes I don't even have to push any buttons to get this to happen. I have to press the "Exit" button and then CC immediately returns and so do all the buttons. I don't remember having this problem last month, and I didn't even know there was a new download until I saw this thread yesterday.

Other than these four things, I didn't see anything different when I actively looked for differences for the first time last night.

Edited by bobcamp1, 30 December 2009 - 09:22 AM.
Can't count to four

#13 OFFLINE   stilen621

stilen621

Legend

• Registered
  • 169 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 12:39 AM

I`m sure its not impossible but has anyone ever heard of a brand new out of the box H20-600 being bad ? As in not acquiring signal ? I`m just curious because in almost 10 years and allot of different receivers, I`ve never had one bad out of the box.

#14 OFFLINE   raoul5788

raoul5788

• Registered
  • 1,481 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 06:51 AM

I`m sure its not impossible but has anyone ever heard of a brand new out of the box H20-600 being bad ? As in not acquiring signal ? I`m just curious because in almost 10 years and allot of different receivers, I`ve never had one bad out of the box.

You are fortunate. There was a lot of them early on that had overheating issues. I went through three or four before I got one that worked right. It's been good for two years now.

#15 OFFLINE   stilen621

stilen621

Legend

• Registered
  • 169 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 02:24 PM

You are fortunate. There was a lot of them early on that had overheating issues. I went through three or four before I got one that worked right. It's been good for two years now.

Thanks Raoul,,,but I`m talking like straight out of the box, first time hook up and a "trying to acquire signal" message. No overheating or things of that nature.

#16 OFFLINE   stilen621

stilen621

Legend

• Registered
  • 169 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 02:34 PM

Thanks Raoul,,,but I`m talking like straight out of the box, first time hook up and a "trying to acquire signal" message. No overheating or things of that nature.

#17 OFFLINE   bobcamp1

bobcamp1

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 09:09 AM

Why not? It's possible for any piece of electronics to be DOA.

#18 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 07:30 AM

There haven't been any "New out of the box" H20-600's for quite awhile. If you've received one in almost the last 2 years, you've almost positively got a refurbished unit. To that point, probably around 5-10% of the H20-600's I've ever pulled off of my truck were either DOA when I tried to install them, or created a service call back to that customer within 7 days of installing it.

#19 OFFLINE   RBTO

RBTO

Legend

• Registered
  • 168 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 06:17 PM

I've had an H20-600 for about 2 years with no problems. I solved the overheating problem early on with a shroud over the upper vent that employed a fan to extract the excess heat and it runs as cool or cooler than my HR20. The update to 0x4138 came through fine a couple of days ago about two hours after I reconnected my H20 (I use it intermittently, and disconnect it when not using it), and I have no problems with the update, save one. Apparently 0x4138 doesn't include Quick-tune, which I am accustomed to with my HR20 and would really liked to have seen in this update. Maybe this feature has something to do with dual tuners (that the HR20 has) and can't be incorporated in the H20 but if it can, and D missed it, it's a shame. It's a very worthwhile feature. Aside from that, the 0x4138 appears to work fine.

Edited by RBTO, 03 January 2010 - 06:34 PM.
wordsmithing

#20 OFFLINE   netconcepts

netconcepts

Legend

• Registered
  • 143 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 06:47 PM

I hope they fixed the active content problem with the stretched screen on HD channels.

Yay!!!
Active content is working without flaws on HD screens and no format changes!!!:hurah:

Protected By... spam firewall...And...