Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

H20: 0x4138/0x4140 Issues/Discussion

trouble

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   bobcamp1

bobcamp1

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 08:38 AM

:confused: I have an H20-600 I'm about to put back in service (at least until I can get an H24). I wonder what they'll say when I try to activate it.

They'll activate it. But if a service technician sees one, he's supposed to replace it with something besides an H20-600.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   dwcolvin

dwcolvin

Icon

• Registered
  • 668 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 08:59 AM

They'll activate it. But if a service technician sees one, he's supposed to replace it with something besides an H20-600.

Indeed, they did activate it, and quite quickly, since it had been activated before (several years ago, and they never asked for it back). I made sure their records correctly showed it as a H20-600 (they didn't... thought it was an H20-100). It'll do until the MRV upgrade.

DIRECTV and NFL-ST since 1994, Slimline w/SL5 LNB, SWiM-16
HR44-700; 2x HR24-500; HR22-100; H25-500; C31-700; GenieGo
Gigabit Ethernet (DirecTV DECA); 2.4 and 5GHz 802.11n; HD Slingbox

#43 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,892 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 08:26 PM

We actually just received a directive to NOT actively replace these boxes. They are still on the scrap list, meaning that they won't be sent back out once they're deactivated and brought back to the warehouse. There will be a few more refurb H20-600's making their way into homes in the next month. I suspect that D* has a few more pallets of these left, and before the Connected Home procedures go into effect (When every new install will be MRV capable), they will try to flush out as many as possible and not lose any money on them by just throwing them away.

I'd prefer the latter:rolleyes:
"He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."

#44 OFFLINE   jamieh1

jamieh1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,383 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 10:53 AM

I just had a movers connection install and a HD reciever added, they brought out a H20-600 and installed it.

#45 OFFLINE   breadman43

breadman43

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 08:11 PM

had my second deffective h20 replaced, this time 9-22-10 they sent a tech out.
You guessed it I got another one, tech said they couldn't replace rec with anything less than what I had.
If I would have had a 23 then they could give me a 23 or a 24 , but not 22s, 21s or 20s, he said he had a "new" h-20 on truck, if he had not had had it he could have given me a latter model.
The tech did a great job, was very understanding, but he had to follow his directives, so there is no rap on the tech at all.
Maybe next time I'll get lucky.
AT9 5LNB OTA
H-20 600 VIZIO 32" LCD HDMI

#46 OFFLINE   bobcamp1

bobcamp1

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 11:57 AM

I'm quoting myself because a lot of people have quoted it. About a month or two after I posted that back in March, D* reversed their decision again and now H20-600s are "legal". This was due to a hardware shortage that D* had. These units still have three main problems, even after they were recalled and reworked:

1. They are way too hot for what they do.
2. So hot, that the access card may partially melt or char in some cases. Mine are fine after 18 months.
3. Some units will see the video processing occasionally burp with fast-moving scenes or sudden scene cuts. The burp lasts a second and auto-corrects itself. The burp is best described as half of the old scene with half of the new scene. One of my units does this, but it's in the bedroom where I don't watch TV that often. And I'm too lazy to get a replacement, especially since I do use OTA in that room.

spam firewall