Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

CSN Bay Area/California

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork

Icon

• Registered
  • 893 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 02:30 PM

According to Bob Fitzgearld (Warriors PBP/ KNBR host) all programing from both Nor Cal CSN's will be in HD Full time in 2010. He said it includes Warriors, Kings, Sharks, A's, and Giants. Great news, now if D12 can bring us full time HD on both channels that'd be great. Hopefully this includes the various college (and HS FBall) games CSN produces locally as well!

#2 OFFLINE   chevyguy559

chevyguy559

Fresno State Bulldog!

• Registered
  • 713 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 23 December 2009 - 11:56 PM

Great news! I'd love to see my Giants in HD ALL season :D

DirecTV Subscriber Since 11/2008
Choice Ultimate - HD Extra - RZC
(2) HR22-100
(1) HR22-100 (Owned)
(1) HR21-100 (Owned)

#3 OFFLINE   BlackHitachi

BlackHitachi

Godfather

• Registered
  • 326 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 01:35 AM

Great news! I'd love to see my Giants in HD ALL season :D

I would love to see my A's but since the change i can not!:nono2:
3 HR23-700,1 R22-100, 2 AM21, 5LNB Slimline dish PREMIER NFL SUNDAY TICKET

#4 OFFLINE   BK89

BK89

Legend

• Registered
  • 163 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 02:49 AM

I'm sure Comcast will find some way to screw this up.

#5 OFFLINE   eudoxia

eudoxia

AllStar

• Registered
  • 85 posts
  • LocationDaly City, CA

Posted 27 December 2009 - 01:58 PM

CSN is blowing smoke. If you goto their website they show games on Dish that are supposed to be in HD. What's going on with Comcast is criminal. I'm a bigtime Sharks fan and CSN has determined that the Sacramento Kings (a losing franchies) takes precedent over the Sharks(one of the biggest NHL franchise), even though I live closer to San Jose (San Francisco). They either join a Sharks game in progress or I have to search the ALT channels to find the telecast on Dish in a SD signal that looks washed out.

They also always tout their HD and I have never seen a game in HD on Dish (I hear its the same on DirectTV). They seem to be monopolizing the HD coverage to only Comcast customers. And you get no help calling either Dish or CSNCA because both parties pass the buck to the other. This should be antitrust suit. This company should not have sole control over a franchise broadcast only to provide HD to their own customers.

Many other fans like me are fuming and should bombard all parties (Comcast, Dish, and the Sharks) to stop this. I had better picture and coverage 10 years ago when they were OTA on Kicu.

#6 OFFLINE   rotohead

rotohead

Legend

• Registered
  • 227 posts
  • LocationReno, NV

Posted 29 December 2009 - 05:08 PM

I blame our wonderful elected officials in Congress for all of this. Where is consumer protection on this kind of stuff when we need it?

#7 OFFLINE   sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 893 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 05:46 PM

I haven't really had any issues with D* and the sharks the games are usually on 699-1 in HD. It's my understanding they switched the Sharks from BA to CA becuase the larger Sharks market was in the Bay Area, so for the vast majority of people actually see more games on the "main" channel rather than an extra channel. Remember the vast majority of the Bay Area is dominated by Comcast, so those people are seeing all their Sharks games on channel 721. The Kings are not brodcast in that market. The problem for D* and E* is they aren't set up the same way so they have to set an extra RSN channel for CA and BA. I have been able to see a fair amount of Warriors games in HD (including last nights Cletics and tonights Lakers). Now hopefully after the 1st of the year when they broadcast both channels full time in HD including games things will get better. But, both D* and E* have to enable the full time HD Channel that is already on Comcast in the Bay Area.

#8 OFFLINE   flogduh

flogduh

Legend

• Registered
  • 109 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 08:30 PM

It seems to be getting better on DTV with the Sharks games but still a long way to go. I'm so sick of having to constantly search the guides to find which channel the HD feed will be on in the coming days since the guide is updated so late. I'll believe all games in HD in 2010 when I SEE IT.

#9 OFFLINE   eudoxia

eudoxia

AllStar

• Registered
  • 85 posts
  • LocationDaly City, CA

Posted 30 December 2009 - 10:50 AM

It seems to be getting better on DTV with the Sharks games but still a long way to go. I'm so sick of having to constantly search the guides to find which channel the HD feed will be on in the coming days since the guide is updated so late. I'll believe all games in HD in 2010 when I SEE IT.

It sounds like D*TV is ahead of the game. I wonder if any Dish customers have seen a Sharks game in HD. The SD feed really does look horrible for broadcast standards.

Joe Thornton NHL points leader
Patrick Marleau (soon to be) NHL goals leader #3

#10 OFFLINE   pgtogo84bsxy

pgtogo84bsxy

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 09:50 PM

A few weeks ago, I also heard on Fitz and Brooks that Comcast Sportsnet Bay Area was going to start broadcasting Warriors (and the other local teams) road games in HD, which is great because sports in standard def on a HDTV is terrible. Terrible!

Anyways, there have been 3 Warrior road games (Portland, Denver, and Minnesota) already in 2010 and DirecTV didn't carry them in HD. Is this "all games in HD" announcement specific to just Comcast Cable customers? Is DirecTV not involved in this? Or did someone not tell them? Unless when 2010 was mentioned, the reference was for the Warriors 2010-2011 schedule (ie. next season).

Yes, the team sucks, but I would still like to watch the games in high def. Bay Area fans at least deserve that, right?

#11 OFFLINE   noble1557

noble1557

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 11:20 PM

Randy Hahn just said on the Sharks broadcast that all remaining Sharks game will be in HD! Hopefully it will be the same with the Warriors from here on out.

#12 OFFLINE   sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 893 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 01:22 PM

I think we're out of luck until the channel goes 24hr HD. The Stanford BBall game this wknd vs UCLA was in HD on FSNPT but not in HD on CSNBA. The 24hr version of CSN (BA/CA) is the fiber channel so until D* gets that worked out and turned on I don't think we'll see all the games in HD. I am guessing the timing of D12 will be about when the MLB season kicks off.

#13 OFFLINE   eudoxia

eudoxia

AllStar

• Registered
  • 85 posts
  • LocationDaly City, CA

Posted 20 January 2010 - 11:06 AM

CSNCA-HD and CSNBA-HD have been on my guide for a couple of weeks (well at least I recently found them) and haven't missed a Sharks game yet in full HD. This is what I've been hoping for years, I hope it lasts.

Patrick Marleau NHL GOALS LEADER

#14 OFFLINE   pgtogo84bsxy

pgtogo84bsxy

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 01:18 PM

I sent an email to csn bay area's website asking about this and they said they do offer all their games in HD now, but not all providers do. They said to complain to provider (Directv) and ask for a 24 hour HD channel. Hopefully, by baseball season it will happen. I'm going to email directv about this. Calling them will just frustrate me because most CSRs will not have an understanding of what I'm asking. I bet Directv will charge more when this does happen because the email made it sound like all CSN affilliates are doing this now.

#15 OFFLINE   sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 893 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 07:20 PM

It's my understanding everything is in HD currently, the issue being not all HD is sent via satellite, that's why some games show "CNSHD" but we are not getting them in HD. D* needs to tie into CSN's fiber line to get all the programs in HD or CSN will need to broadcast everything in HD via satellite. I don't have the answer to which will happen......

#16 OFFLINE   sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 893 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 04:24 PM

Bob Fitzgearld (W's PbyP) was just answering a question regarding HD games that his partner asked (Rod Brooks). When will D* and all games in HD? Basically he said until the fiber issue is figured out we won't be seeing all games/shows in HD until that is taken care of. He didn't give a date but my guess is it's closer to the baseball season.

#17 OFFLINE   flogduh

flogduh

Legend

• Registered
  • 109 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 04:01 PM

I'm still pissed by how late the guide gets updated for the HD feed for Sharks games. I mean, just last night, I was looking ahead in the guide to find the upcomming road games for the Sharks. While the guide had all the upcomming games (within 14 days) in the guide for either channel 698 or 699, the HD version still wasn't there. Channels 698-1 or 699-1 both had "to be announced" during those same time slots. Yet when I checked the broadcast schedule with the Sharks it gives us all the appearance these games will be broadcast on DTV in HD.

You watch, the guide will change about 24 hrs befor ethe drop of the puck. My only saving grace is to set up timebound manual recordings on the HD channel in addition to the SD guide reflected broadcast at that same time.

#18 OFFLINE   jborchel

jborchel

Legend

• Registered
  • 172 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 01:19 PM

Should I assume that the reason I see Chronicle Live previews/ads in HD but the actual broadcast in SD on DirectTV is because of this fiber cable issue?

Jack

#19 OFFLINE   chevyguy559

chevyguy559

Fresno State Bulldog!

• Registered
  • 713 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 14 February 2010 - 12:43 AM

I just checked out the SF Giants TV Schedule on CSN Bay Area's website and it lists ALL (136) the games televised as being in HD.....

Giant's CSN Bay Area TV Schedule

Last season they only had a handful and had the (*) next to some that said Fiber Only......so I don't know if that gives any hope :D

DirecTV Subscriber Since 11/2008
Choice Ultimate - HD Extra - RZC
(2) HR22-100
(1) HR22-100 (Owned)
(1) HR21-100 (Owned)

#20 OFFLINE   pgtogo84bsxy

pgtogo84bsxy

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 01:40 AM

Not sure if the Giants away schedule in HD means anything to D* customers because with the exception of a couple games, all GSW games are showing in HD on their schedule and it's been like that since last month. Hopefully, this whole fiber feed issue is resolved before baseball season 'cause all games in HD would be sweet.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...