Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Confirmed: Sirius/XM Is Leaving DIRECTV

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
507 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   dodge boy

dodge boy

R.I.P. Chris Henry

• Banned User
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 03:08 PM

I never listen to any of the xm music... I doubt I'll listen to their replacement... Juist add more TV, if I want music I can listen to a CD, my stereo or media share.
My equipment:
1 HR22-100 leased
1 HR22-100 owned
1 HR23-700 owned
1 R22-100 owned
1 R22-200 owned

Slimline III with a 4X8 multiswitch and an SWM8
18" round dish with a 4X8 switch on the garage

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Knowledge

Knowledge

AllStar

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 03:15 PM

As long as Boombox pumps out the Ole School hits like BackSpin, I could care less. I am not happy unless I hear Doug E Fresh and Slick Rick at least 2 times a day!

1 HR23-700 (owned)networked hard wired
1 R16-500 (owned)
3 D12-500 (owned)
SWiM Networked
Comcast 10Mb connection (Grandfathered in at $25)
40in 1080p Toshiba Regza HDMI

#23 ONLINE   scott0702

scott0702

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 214 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 03:15 PM

They'll have holiday music. DIRECTV music channels have always included holiday music, even before they were provided by XM.

Music Choice was better quality, IMO. I am not all that impressed with XM sound quality.

Yes, if you check out the D* link at the beginning of this thread, it appears holiday music will be on channel 815 "Holiday & Happenings".

#24 OFFLINE   trainman

trainman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,479 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted 24 December 2009 - 03:38 PM

Too bad -- I kinda like the DJs on Sirius XMU (which is pretty much the only XM channel I listen to via DirecTV).
trainman is Jim Ellwanger

HR34-700 | Linksys WGA-600N | Samsung 46" LCD | Slimline-5 dish

#25 OFFLINE   BKC

BKC

Icon

• Banned User
  • 682 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 03:54 PM

I wish they would drop all of them and lower my bill.

#26 OFFLINE   dishrich

dishrich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 04:08 PM

Sonic Tap... this is what used to be called Digital Music Express (DMX), right?

Yes, if you look at the DMX DBS lineup, you'll see that the new channel names on D*'s link appear on the DMX lineup now, so clearly they are going to use DMX service.

http://www.dmx.com/f...annelLineup.pdf

Frankly, I'm looking forward to this change. I've never been happy with the XM service on D*. The sound quality has never been as good as Music Choice, & I really don't care for all the DJ clap-trap; all I want is uninterrupted music. And, ever since Sirius & XM merged, the playlists on my favorite channels has gone to hell as well; some not much better than commercial radio. Since I do have Music Choice back on cable, this will make another alternative I can use for something different.

Edited by dishrich, 24 December 2009 - 04:39 PM.

#27 OFFLINE   xmguy

xmguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 04:08 PM

Sorry but I'm F'ing PISSED! I really enjoying listening to my favorite XM channels on DirecTV. My guess is SXM wanted to charge customers more pre month to carry XM. I wonder what will happen on the Dish Network side.
DirecTV Subscriber Since 3/24/2008 || HR44-500 - SWiM and DECA to Vizio 32" LCD 1080P HDTV (SV320XVT) via HDMI | MY SETUP IN DETAIL UPDATED 3/21/2012 (Q1 2013 | I'm On FACEBOOK! "Originally Posted by xmguy : OK. I need directions. (to Sixto's house) Lol ;) | Originally Posted by Sea bass : Head down to 99c, skip over to 103ca, next over to 103cb and you have arrived.:)":hurah:

#28 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,800 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 04:14 PM

I never saw the XM content as a long-term relationship with DirecTV anyway...more like a teaser service for some folks.

If I want to properly listen to digital music, I'll do just that if and when needed. My guess is the agreement was either ending, and the cost was too high for the actual use ratings to make it a win-win with XM.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#29 OFFLINE   Jtaylor1

Jtaylor1

Legend

• Registered
  • 193 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 04:20 PM

This is a big shame. I will sure miss The Pulse and Cinemagic.

Leona Lewis' "Better in Time", Nickelback's "Rockstar", Maroon 5's "Makes Me Wonder", Kid Rock's "All Summer Long", and Default's "Wasting My Time" were my favorite songs on channel 818.

I wish D* and E* had merged.

I guess I'll watch them on YouTube.

#30 OFFLINE   keith_benedict

keith_benedict

Godfather

• Registered
  • 310 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 04:29 PM

Music Choice was better quality, IMO. I am not all that impressed with XM sound quality.

I think XM sound quality was slightly better than Music Choice, but both pale in comparison to lowly 128-bps AAC music.

#31 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,405 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 04:36 PM

I never (ever!) listen, but the loss of Radio Disney will be a deal killer for a lot of parents!

#32 OFFLINE   MikeW

MikeW

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 04:38 PM

I for one will relish some new choices.

Yep. Gives us a chance to ketchup on what other providers have.

#33 OFFLINE   MikeW

MikeW

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 04:41 PM

You can....we get these already if u have the package:

870 [New Channel] Fiesta Tropical
871 [New Channel] Latin Contemporary
872 [New Channel] Music of the Americas
873 [New Channel] Regional Mexican
874 [New Channel] Salsa
875 [New Channel] Hurbano
876 [New Channel] Mariachi
877 [New Channel] Carnaval Brasileiro
878 [New Channel] Rock en Espanol
879 [New Channel] Latin Jazz

This won't really give me a taste for the music catalogs of the channels I listen to. Specifically, Pulse, Blend, 70's, 80's, Prime Country and Top Tracks.

Time will tell.

#34 OFFLINE   dvdmth

dvdmth

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,010 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 24 December 2009 - 04:41 PM

I wish they would drop all of them and lower my bill.

DirecTV was paid by XM to carry their music channels. Given their financial issues, I'm not surprised they decided to discontinue their D* carriage.

Don't know who's paying who for Sonic Tap on DirecTV though.

#35 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,471 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 04:44 PM

I never saw the XM content as a long-term relationship with DirecTV anyway...more like a teaser service for some folks.

If I want to properly listen to digital music, I'll do just that if and when needed. My guess is the agreement was either ending, and the cost was too high for the actual use ratings to make it a win-win with XM.

I guess that is why I have the Yamaha MusiCast MCX-2000 with a 750 Gig Hard Drive installed in it so I can Listen to really Great PCM Quality Music on my Klipsch Reference Series Speakers.

Can't handle MP3 Stuff!!! I've got 300 CDs on it in PCM Quality so Goodbye XM Radio and Hello MusiCast!!!

Edited by Richierich, 24 December 2009 - 04:49 PM.

DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#36 OFFLINE   pbg

pbg

Godfather

• Registered
  • 435 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 04:50 PM

Yep. Gives us a chance to ketchup on what other providers have.

It mayo may not make a difference to some, but I'll miss Deep Tracks.

#37 OFFLINE   tedb3rd

tedb3rd

Godfather

• Registered
  • 357 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 05:04 PM

LOL. I haven't heard any SonicTap, but I think it's going to be a stretch to say that the Spectrum (882) will be "Italian Contemporary", Top 20 will be "Irish" (YEAH... When you think of the top 20 songs in the US these days, they all come from Ireland!!) , and (my favorite comparison)... music from the 80's is "Tranquility"... Sounds more to me like they put the list in order of how easy it was to find a match and they got down to the end and thought... Uh oh... Now what... And then they just paired what was left over...

#38 OFFLINE   anleva

anleva

Icon

• Registered
  • 567 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 05:12 PM

Ugh, very disappointing news.

#39 OFFLINE   Nicholsen

Nicholsen

Godfather

• Registered
  • 391 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 06:40 PM

This is sad news.

Deep Tracks will really, really be missed in this household, especially its great Program Director and DJ, Earle Bailey, the Black Light Room, For Headphones Only, Hand Mixed Vinyl, Bob Dylan's Theme Time Radio Hour and Tom Petty's Buried Treasure.

The sound quality on Deep Tracks over D* was very good (they clearly gave it more bandwidth than the other XM channels on D*, some of which appeared to drop down to mono from time to time.). Good enough I could enjoy it on a good home stereo.

There is no chance a generic "oldies" rock channel can possibly replace Deep Tracks. I don't really need sat radio in the car, but will probably pay to get a high quality feed of Deep tracks into my house. (Maybe that was XM's plan all along ;))

Thanks for all the fun Deep Tracks. You reminded me of some good times with old friends, introduced me to some great recordings and artists, and made my world a little brighter. I wish Earle and the other Deep Track DJ's continued success in the new year!

#40 OFFLINE   Jaspear

Jaspear

Godfather

• Registered
  • 409 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 06:52 PM

LOL. I haven't heard any SonicTap, but I think it's going to be a stretch to say that the Spectrum (882) will be "Italian Contemporary", Top 20 will be "Irish" (YEAH... When you think of the top 20 songs in the US these days, they all come from Ireland!!) , and (my favorite comparison)... music from the 80's is "Tranquility"... Sounds more to me like they put the list in order of how easy it was to find a match and they got down to the end and thought... Uh oh... Now what... And then they just paired what was left over...

There are no music channels above 879, at least not on my service. The Spectrum is actually on 832 and is correctly paired with "Rock: Adult Alternative".

Although, when I first noticed "815 The Loft: Holiday & Happenings", I thought WTF???:)
"A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof. And when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven."

Jean Chrétien, Prime Minister of Canada, 1993 - 2003.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...