Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Confirmed: Sirius/XM Is Leaving DIRECTV

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
507 replies to this topic

#501 OFFLINE   subeluvr

subeluvr

Icon

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmatio
  • 534 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 08:09 AM

As someone who subscribes to Sirius/XM I am glad that DirecTV switched. Personally the number of interruptions in music has gone through the roof on Sirius/XM. I think that the stations they provided are comparable to the Sirius line up and thanks to that guide they have posted of what Sirius channels map to the new ones I've had no issues. I still enjoy listening to Sirius, I just think it's annoying when there is a DJ every 2-3 songs going on and on about the artists, just play the music I can read the receiver if I want to know who it is.

Knowledgeable DJ s are not near as annoying as hearing the same some 3 times in a day... around the same time. Sonic Crap is a lame substitute for Sirius XM and the Sonic Crap channels do not map to Sirius XM although they'd like us to think they did.

8-Tracks is mind numbing compared to Deep Tracks...

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#502 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,252 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 10:49 AM

Knowledgeable DJ s are not near as annoying as hearing the same some 3 times in a day... around the same time. Sonic Crap is a lame substitute for Sirius XM and the Sonic Crap channels do not map to Sirius XM although they'd like us to think they did.

8-Tracks is mind numbing compared to Deep Tracks...

Therein describes a major difference in listeners. Since I don't listen all day, catching a tune I like in the 10-15 minutes I do listen at a time is valuable.

Catching any DJ is waste of my listening time.

Others, who listen all day, are more likely interested in a much larger variety, good informative conversation (ie a DJ who knows stuff), exposure to things they might not have heard for a very long time.

While both formats might not be possible for all genres, certainly for Rock, Country, and Western this should be a no brainer. There are plenty of channels in those genres for those kinds of distinct formats.

(And I actually happen to be watching the movie referenced above. Great movie!) :)

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#503 OFFLINE   jes

jes

Icon

• Registered
  • 897 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 11:29 AM

Forget mad, we are furious about this change! My wife and I listened to XM channels on our Krells, etc. equipment and the XM sound quality blows the doors off Sonic. Sonic sound quality is terrible, no disgusting. We are extremely disappointed and found that now the Internet stations from our AppleTV are far better quality and there is no way that should happen! I will write a letter to the DirecTV president but I know nothing will happen. For us, they just took away the music channels!

I found your post (and others here) rather amusing... :lol: Many of us know that Satellite radio, whether direct or through D*, Internet radio streams, iTunes, MP3s, etc... are all inferior digitized sources of music meant for inexpensive personal players, small speakers or places that have high ambient noise levels (like the Mall). It's a convenient way to get lots of music to lots of people... I listen to it because it's easy. If you really want to listen to quality sound [on your Krells], you to need go to your music collection and use the best quality source and play-back equipment. If you want to hear something indescribably awesome, drag out the "lathe" and play a direct-to-disc vinyl album through your high-end system using direct analog in and out. ... now that's real quality music! :D
DirecTV since March 1998, HD since Oct. 2003

#504 OFFLINE   GregLee

GregLee

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 11:48 AM

Catching any DJ is waste of my listening time.

My wife was irritated with the XM 60s channel because of the DJ, and she's pleased that the Sonic Tap version does not have commentary. But that's the only channel she listens to, and she already knows all the songs.

I'd rather see liner notes on screen, like Music Choice has, than listen to a DJ.
Greg

#505 OFFLINE   CorpITGuy

CorpITGuy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 432 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 01:47 PM

I'd rather see liner notes on screen, like Music Choice has, than listen to a DJ.

:righton:
Two HR22-100 HD DVRs on HDTVs, both MRV; also running PlayOn, Boxee

#506 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,229 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 26 February 2010 - 04:39 PM

I found your post (and others here) rather amusing... :lol: Many of us know that Satellite radio, whether direct or through D*, Internet radio streams, iTunes, MP3s, etc... are all inferior digitized sources of music meant for inexpensive personal players, small speakers or places that have high ambient noise levels (like the Mall). It's a convenient way to get lots of music to lots of people... I listen to it because it's easy. If you really want to listen to quality sound [on your Krells], you to need go to your music collection and use the best quality source and play-back equipment. If you want to hear something indescribably awesome, drag out the "lathe" and play a direct-to-disc vinyl album through your high-end system using direct analog in and out. ... now that's real quality music! :D

I think you pretty much nailed it here. I'm pushing 80 and my ears don't pick up that high frequency sound well (please don't ask about other parts of my body!), but the music channel quality could be a tad higher than what's now provided.

What bothers me is that I have a grandfathered "Total Choice" package that's missing 28 of the music channels now. I can understand why they don't call it Total Choice anymore. I cannot get DirecTV (after three phone calls over five days) to tell me what music channels I should be getting with my package. The first CSR wanted to have someone come out and modify my dish -- I already have a Slimline 5 so I'm getting all the satellites I need for all the music channels. The second CSR had an outdated list of music channels which did not include any of the channels added 2/9.
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#507 OFFLINE   tadtv

tadtv

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 01:35 PM

I am so glad to see XM radio go away. I have complained for years to Directv to put back the music that NEVER needed to tell me what channel I was listening to. I am so glad to never hear poor half dead Nina Blackwood's horrible smoking voice on the 80's channel. If I wanted to hear people talking- I would have put on FM radio. It's great that I can now get into an intense project for 4 or 5 hours and NEVER being ripped from concentration to hear a station ID.

#508 ONLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,866 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 01:37 PM

Well, I think this thread has served its purpose. Please continue complaining about Sonic Tap in newer threads.

Thanks.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...