Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Confirmed: Sirius/XM Is Leaving DIRECTV

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
507 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   tvjay

tvjay

Godfather

• Registered
  • 293 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 06:54 PM

DirecTV was paid by XM to carry their music channels. Given their financial issues, I'm not surprised they decided to discontinue their D* carriage.

Don't know who's paying who for Sonic Tap on DirecTV though.

REALLY?
HDTV: Sony Bravia KDL-40W4100
DirecTV Receiver: HR22-100 (manufactured 9/8/09)
DirecTV Dish: AU9-S Slimline

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 24 December 2009 - 06:56 PM

This is great news!!

One of the reasons I told Time-Warner Cable to take a hike in 2000 was when they discontinued the DMX music service that the prior operator had (TCI). DMX offered 30 channels of digital music for $5 a month using a separate set-top (or "stereo top") box with a huge remote containing an LCD display that gave the song title and artist!

The programming was excellent with NO obnoxious DJ's or any irksome interruptions at all unlike Sirius-XM. Of course, this "sonic tap" version of DMX might be quite different.

In any event, I resubscribed to Sirius-XM on my home & car radios before the price hike so I'll have BOTH services until into 2011.

Maybe I'll have to dig out one of my old DirecTV receivers and add it back to my account and hook it up to my stereo if sonic tap is really cool...

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#43 OFFLINE   celticpride

celticpride

Icon

• Registered
  • 967 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 07:13 PM

will also miss deep tracks ,i sure hope sonlc tap has a progressive rock channel.

#44 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 07:27 PM

DirecTV was paid by XM to carry their music channels. Given their financial issues, I'm not surprised they decided to discontinue their D* carriage.

Don't know who's paying who for Sonic Tap on DirecTV though.

This is not accurate

#45 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 07:38 PM

Yes, a change is coming for early February. I believe customers will be notified in the next few days officially but obviously it appears some information came out a few days earlier than anticipated.

Let me tell you what this means:

MORE MUSIC choices for everyone. The new lineup will mean up to 84 music channels. I believe the most any base package currently had was 65, so it's a big jump.

The number of music channels will be dependent on the base package, but every main base package is getting an increase in music channels, including Family. Some will see a larger increase (Premier & Lo Maximo customers will see the largest increase in music channels).

More Variety. You will see a bit more variety now then you did before as well. More genres, including some additional ethnic\national themed channels.

The transition also means no more interruptions (i.e. No DJ interruptions, no more interstitials, no more on-air read commercials).

Net, net, should be a great music choice for customers. More channels, no more interruptions. From an equivalency perspective, for almost every channel that Sirius \ XM had, SonicTap has an equivalent. Whether it's Cinemagic or DeepTracks or everything in between, SonicTap has the same genre of music offerings, the same titles, same artists, etc.

More music channels, more variety, no interruptions. SonicTap has already been with DIRECTV since 2008 offering 10 music channels since then.

Wishing all of you a Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays.

#46 OFFLINE   xmguy

xmguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 07:46 PM

This is great news!!

One of the reasons I told Time-Warner Cable to take a hike in 2000 was when they discontinued the DMX music service that the prior operator had (TCI). DMX offered 30 channels of digital music for $5 a month using a separate set-top (or "stereo top") box with a huge remote containing an LCD display that gave the song title and artist!

The programming was excellent with NO obnoxious DJ's or any irksome interruptions at all unlike Sirius-XM. Of course, this "sonic tap" version of DMX might be quite different.

In any event, I resubscribed to Sirius-XM on my home & car radios before the price hike so I'll have BOTH services until into 2011.

Maybe I'll have to dig out one of my old DirecTV receivers and add it back to my account and hook it up to my stereo if sonic tap is really cool...

I already had my R22 QuickTune set to Highway and Prime Country. I had a digital link running from my R22 to my Stereo receiver. I'm pissed. I have 2 XM radios. But enjoy being able to listen to XM in other rooms where my XM isn't.

Posted Image
DirecTV Subscriber Since 3/24/2008 || HR44-500 - SWiM and DECA to Vizio 32" LCD 1080P HDTV (SV320XVT) via HDMI | MY SETUP IN DETAIL UPDATED 3/21/2012 (Q1 2013 | I'm On FACEBOOK! "Originally Posted by xmguy : OK. I need directions. (to Sixto's house) Lol ;) | Originally Posted by Sea bass : Head down to 99c, skip over to 103ca, next over to 103cb and you have arrived.:)":hurah:

#47 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 24 December 2009 - 07:51 PM

If anyone is curious exactly WHAT these "replacement" music channels play, go to http://www.dmxmusic.com and choose the DBS channel lineup. You will see the channel names exactly like they appear on the DirecTV web site announcement page. On the DMX web site, you can see what each channel has played in the past hour. Just click on "What's Playing".

I checked this out with the "Latin Jazz" channel which DirecTV already carries and is in my package. Sure enough, the listing on the DMX web site is EXACTLY the songs that were played on the DirecTV "Sonic Tap" Latin Jazz channel!!

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#48 OFFLINE   ajc68

ajc68

Icon

• Registered
  • 667 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 08:04 PM

Deep Tracks is a favorite of mine as well...

#49 OFFLINE   LameLefty

LameLefty

I used to be a rocket scientist

• Registered
  • 12,106 posts
  • LocationMiddle Tennessee

Posted 24 December 2009 - 08:08 PM

I hope there's an equivalent to Bluesville (preferably closer to XM's version of "Bluesville" than SiriusXM's "B.B. King's Bluesville."

"Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!"
Directv since 1997
Will Work for Beer

#50 OFFLINE   webby_s

webby_s

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 08:33 PM

After reading a few links and seeing that there won't really be much of a change, I am indifferent. If it helps my bill stay the same (not go up) I don't mind then.
SlimLine 5LNB SWM 16
HR34-700 -->52" Sharp Aquos LED
H25-100 -->32" Philips Master BD
HR21-100 -->19" Vizio LED Kitchen,
HR24-500 --> 50" Panasonic DLP
Hockey is not a sport in Minnesota, it is life.

#51 OFFLINE   LMckin

LMckin

Godfather

• Registered
  • 273 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 09:03 PM

That sucks, hope they have holiday music next year like Sirius XM has been providing us. Oh well :(

Here is the DMX Hoildays channels they offer

http://www.dmx.com/samples/ click the hoildays link

i located a 2008 DMX Music Hoilday music Lineup

http://www.dmxmusic..../dbsHoliday.pdf

the DMX Hoilday Favorite seam be simmer to the XM Holly Channel.

Edited by LMckin, 25 December 2009 - 01:29 PM.

Directv Subscriber From May 2003 to December 9,2013

Charter Cable Subscriber Since December 9,2013
HomePage

#52 OFFLINE   BimmerImmer

BimmerImmer

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 10:09 PM

This can't be good for Sirius/XM balance sheet.
Odd that John Malone (Liberty Media) just rescued Sirius/XM last year.
Maybe that was just to spite Dish.

Oddly enough, I've really never listened to the music channels on D* much at all. I figure I can listen to my iTunes library (or gasp! LPs!) at home.

I got hooked into XM when I had a free subscription with my new car.
Now have a 2nd receiver in other vehicle and listen to it all the time.

Feel sorry for those who depended on this for their XM fix...

#53 OFFLINE   loudo

loudo

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,482 posts
  • LocationCentral Maine

Posted 24 December 2009 - 10:36 PM

I hope their 60's and 70's is as good as we now have.

H44-200 - Samsung 1080p 46" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Samsunbg 32" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Mitsubishi 1080p 57" DLP - HDMI - Pioneer Home Theater Sound

LG 20 LCD" & Viewsonic 17" HDTV LCD - Component via Cat 6 baluns from HR44-200
Slimline w/ SWM3 LNB. OTA master antenna system to all sets.

#54 OFFLINE   EVAC41

EVAC41

Legend

• Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 11:10 PM

ummmm This is what our cable company uses.... Does anyone know why they are getting rid of XM?

#55 OFFLINE   Jimmy 440

Jimmy 440

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,665 posts
  • LocationMonmouth County NJ

Posted 24 December 2009 - 11:29 PM

1A 1B .They are all the same to me.I haven't listened to more than 20 minutes of XM since they replaced the other music channels.And I never listened to then neither.
I never heard of these guys.

JIMMY

DirecTv 1999
Olevia 42" HD
HR22-100
--------------------
NHL CI
MLB EI

#56 OFFLINE   Frrrunkis!

Frrrunkis!

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 11:45 PM

Yes, a change is coming for early February. I believe customers will be notified in the next few days officially but obviously it appears some information came out a few days earlier than anticipated.

Wait, woah, woah, woah...you mean to tell me Directv lets their customers know about programming changes ahead of time? :) I only say that because, back in Nov 2008, the new SiriusXM replaced alot of great XM music channels with less than stellar Sirius music channels...and they announced it about 10 hours after the switch. You had pandemonium at XM's DC headquarters with subscribers threatening to cancel because their favorite music channels were replaced with Sirius' equivalent, which they didn't like (too much DJ chatter, very FM-radio like). XM has been run into the ground ever since they decided to engage in a bidding war with Sirius over content (Stern, Martha Stewart, Oprah, MLB, NFL to name a few). IMO, they always had a better library and no chatter (sorry, I don't care to hear about Beverly in Tennessee who wants to dedicate some obscure Genesis song to her husband or how Tom in Illinois just bought a radio and is checking out Lithium for the first time).

Now, XM has literally become Sirius...with the subscriber getting less for more. I must've heard something entirely different when Mel Karmazin went before regulators to discuss the merger and claimed that they want to bring better quality and more choices for their customers. Could've fooled me.

On a similar note...I know shortly after the merger, Mel had stated that he wasn't too fond of making their content available to other services. He might've been talking about Channel 879 - The Virus at that time, but it sort of sounded like he wanted to eventually move away from service on Directv and Dish.

#57 OFFLINE   Nicholsen

Nicholsen

Godfather

• Registered
  • 391 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 12:01 AM

Let me tell you what this means:

The transition also means no more interruptions (i.e. No DJ interruptions, no more interstitials, no more on-air read commercials).

Net, net, should be a great music choice for customers. More channels, no more interruptions. From an equivalency perspective, for almost every channel that Sirius \ XM had, SonicTap has an equivalent. Whether it's Cinemagic or DeepTracks or everything in between, SonicTap has the same genre of music offerings, the same titles, same artists, etc.

Sorry, not buying the Press Release. Having Bob Dylan and Tom Petty introduce their favorite records and tell stories in between is not an "interruption."

DJ's cost money, and they add value to the programming. When there is a blizzard (like last week) they play a set of songs about storms. When it's a heatwave, the play Summer in the City, etc. No computer generated play list does that.

I seriously doubt the new provider has anything remotely close to what Earle Bailey has created with Deep Tracks. I.E, a trip back to the glory days of free form progressive FM rock radio. If your a serious classic rock fan, interested in the history of popular music, or just miss the days when the late night DJ's could play whatever they wanted, Deep Tracks is the best.

#58 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,252 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 12:23 AM

XM has declined for me. More and more and more DJ yak yak yak. I want to listen to music. I liked when I started on XM a few years ago, there was very little yak yak. More than I'd like, yet it was enjoyable. That was what I was leaving FM for--less talk.

Now, too many XM stations are FM without commercials--but wait! They "promote" their other channels. Sounds awfully like commercials to me. Bah.

So I'm looking forward to Sonic Tap. I hope to find programming choices that are exciting without having to yak it down.

Merry Christmas Everyone!
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#59 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 12:26 AM

Sorry, not buying the Press Release. Having Bob Dylan and Tom Petty introduce their favorite records and tell stories in between is not an "interruption."

DJ's cost money, and they add value to the programming. When there is a blizzard (like last week) they play a set of songs about storms. When it's a heatwave, the play Summer in the City, etc. No computer generated play list does that.

I seriously doubt the new provider has anything remotely close to what Earle Bailey has created with Deep Tracks. I.E, a trip back to the glory days of free form progressive FM rock radio. If your a serious classic rock fan, interested in the history of popular music, or just miss the days when the late night DJ's could play whatever they wanted, Deep Tracks is the best.

Understood....I DJ'd in college at our radio station in Wisconisn. Totally get it. The station told us we had to play from a certain stack each hour, but we also had about 3 songs that were totally up to us. It was great.

However, keep in mind that many subscribers like businesses (private offices), restaurants, doctors offices, etc) do not want ANY interruptions at all. This is also a frequent commentary from some residential customers.

I believe you will be happy with the new music channel equivalents and the additional music offerings that are coming.

Happy Holidays

#60 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,252 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 12:28 AM

I guess I wouldn't mind a few channels that have interesting shows with various personalities as you point out. But every channel? I don't want DJs just for basic music, I just want basic music. :)

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...