Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Confirmed: Sirius/XM Is Leaving DIRECTV

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
507 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   LMckin

LMckin

Godfather

• Registered
  • 274 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 09:03 PM

That sucks, hope they have holiday music next year like Sirius XM has been providing us. Oh well :(

Here is the DMX Hoildays channels they offer

http://www.dmx.com/samples/ click the hoildays link

i located a 2008 DMX Music Hoilday music Lineup

http://www.dmxmusic..../dbsHoliday.pdf

the DMX Hoilday Favorite seam be simmer to the XM Holly Channel.

Edited by LMckin, 25 December 2009 - 01:29 PM.

Directv Subscriber From May 2003 to December 9,2013

Charter Cable Subscriber Since December 9,2013
HomePage

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 OFFLINE   BimmerImmer

BimmerImmer

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 10:09 PM

This can't be good for Sirius/XM balance sheet.
Odd that John Malone (Liberty Media) just rescued Sirius/XM last year.
Maybe that was just to spite Dish.

Oddly enough, I've really never listened to the music channels on D* much at all. I figure I can listen to my iTunes library (or gasp! LPs!) at home.

I got hooked into XM when I had a free subscription with my new car.
Now have a 2nd receiver in other vehicle and listen to it all the time.

Feel sorry for those who depended on this for their XM fix...

#53 OFFLINE   loudo

loudo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,506 posts
  • LocationCentral Maine

Posted 24 December 2009 - 10:36 PM

I hope their 60's and 70's is as good as we now have.

H44-200 - Samsung 1080p 46" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Samsunbg 32" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Mitsubishi 1080p 57" DLP - HDMI - Pioneer Home Theater Sound

LG 20 LCD" & Viewsonic 17" HDTV LCD - Component via Cat 6 baluns from HR44-200
Slimline w/ SWM3 LNB. OTA master antenna system to all sets.

#54 OFFLINE   EVAC41

EVAC41

Legend

• Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 11:10 PM

ummmm This is what our cable company uses.... Does anyone know why they are getting rid of XM?

#55 OFFLINE   Jimmy 440

Jimmy 440

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,666 posts
  • LocationMonmouth County NJ

Posted 24 December 2009 - 11:29 PM

1A 1B .They are all the same to me.I haven't listened to more than 20 minutes of XM since they replaced the other music channels.And I never listened to then neither.
I never heard of these guys.

JIMMY

DirecTv 1999
Olevia 42" HD
HR22-100
--------------------
NHL CI
MLB EI

#56 OFFLINE   Frrrunkis!

Frrrunkis!

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 11:45 PM

Yes, a change is coming for early February. I believe customers will be notified in the next few days officially but obviously it appears some information came out a few days earlier than anticipated.

Wait, woah, woah, woah...you mean to tell me Directv lets their customers know about programming changes ahead of time? :) I only say that because, back in Nov 2008, the new SiriusXM replaced alot of great XM music channels with less than stellar Sirius music channels...and they announced it about 10 hours after the switch. You had pandemonium at XM's DC headquarters with subscribers threatening to cancel because their favorite music channels were replaced with Sirius' equivalent, which they didn't like (too much DJ chatter, very FM-radio like). XM has been run into the ground ever since they decided to engage in a bidding war with Sirius over content (Stern, Martha Stewart, Oprah, MLB, NFL to name a few). IMO, they always had a better library and no chatter (sorry, I don't care to hear about Beverly in Tennessee who wants to dedicate some obscure Genesis song to her husband or how Tom in Illinois just bought a radio and is checking out Lithium for the first time).

Now, XM has literally become Sirius...with the subscriber getting less for more. I must've heard something entirely different when Mel Karmazin went before regulators to discuss the merger and claimed that they want to bring better quality and more choices for their customers. Could've fooled me.

On a similar note...I know shortly after the merger, Mel had stated that he wasn't too fond of making their content available to other services. He might've been talking about Channel 879 - The Virus at that time, but it sort of sounded like he wanted to eventually move away from service on Directv and Dish.

#57 OFFLINE   Nicholsen

Nicholsen

Godfather

• Registered
  • 391 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 12:01 AM

Let me tell you what this means:

The transition also means no more interruptions (i.e. No DJ interruptions, no more interstitials, no more on-air read commercials).

Net, net, should be a great music choice for customers. More channels, no more interruptions. From an equivalency perspective, for almost every channel that Sirius \ XM had, SonicTap has an equivalent. Whether it's Cinemagic or DeepTracks or everything in between, SonicTap has the same genre of music offerings, the same titles, same artists, etc.

Sorry, not buying the Press Release. Having Bob Dylan and Tom Petty introduce their favorite records and tell stories in between is not an "interruption."

DJ's cost money, and they add value to the programming. When there is a blizzard (like last week) they play a set of songs about storms. When it's a heatwave, the play Summer in the City, etc. No computer generated play list does that.

I seriously doubt the new provider has anything remotely close to what Earle Bailey has created with Deep Tracks. I.E, a trip back to the glory days of free form progressive FM rock radio. If your a serious classic rock fan, interested in the history of popular music, or just miss the days when the late night DJ's could play whatever they wanted, Deep Tracks is the best.

#58 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,276 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 12:23 AM

XM has declined for me. More and more and more DJ yak yak yak. I want to listen to music. I liked when I started on XM a few years ago, there was very little yak yak. More than I'd like, yet it was enjoyable. That was what I was leaving FM for--less talk.

Now, too many XM stations are FM without commercials--but wait! They "promote" their other channels. Sounds awfully like commercials to me. Bah.

So I'm looking forward to Sonic Tap. I hope to find programming choices that are exciting without having to yak it down.

Merry Christmas Everyone!
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#59 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,042 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 12:26 AM

Sorry, not buying the Press Release. Having Bob Dylan and Tom Petty introduce their favorite records and tell stories in between is not an "interruption."

DJ's cost money, and they add value to the programming. When there is a blizzard (like last week) they play a set of songs about storms. When it's a heatwave, the play Summer in the City, etc. No computer generated play list does that.

I seriously doubt the new provider has anything remotely close to what Earle Bailey has created with Deep Tracks. I.E, a trip back to the glory days of free form progressive FM rock radio. If your a serious classic rock fan, interested in the history of popular music, or just miss the days when the late night DJ's could play whatever they wanted, Deep Tracks is the best.

Understood....I DJ'd in college at our radio station in Wisconisn. Totally get it. The station told us we had to play from a certain stack each hour, but we also had about 3 songs that were totally up to us. It was great.

However, keep in mind that many subscribers like businesses (private offices), restaurants, doctors offices, etc) do not want ANY interruptions at all. This is also a frequent commentary from some residential customers.

I believe you will be happy with the new music channel equivalents and the additional music offerings that are coming.

Happy Holidays

#60 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,276 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 12:28 AM

I guess I wouldn't mind a few channels that have interesting shows with various personalities as you point out. But every channel? I don't want DJs just for basic music, I just want basic music. :)

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#61 OFFLINE   MikeW

MikeW

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,551 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 01:00 AM

DJ's cost money, and they add value to the programming.

Spend a while on the 80's and you'll learn that paying DJs doesn't necessarily mean it adds value. To hear the old VJs talking about interviewing bob and doug mckenzie means nothing to me. Too often they talk, just to talk. They most likely aren't even "in studio" when they are DJs. They probably pre-record their stuff and it gets automagically inserted. BTW...Nina Blackwood needs to move away from the mic when she inhales. The sound of 40 years of smoking doesn't sound good on the air.

Merry Christmas and to all...a good night!

#62 OFFLINE   chevyguy559

chevyguy559

Fresno State Bulldog!

• Registered
  • 718 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 25 December 2009 - 01:26 AM

I'm torn, on one hand, as an XM subscriber it was nice to have the channels I listen to in my truck all day, available at home as well as part of my subscription to DirecTV.....but as long as there is a music choice, that works for me. I personally don't mind the DJ's on XM, but as long as there is equivalent choices for the channels I listen to, I'm gonna give it a shot and check them out :D

DirecTV Subscriber Since 11/2008
Choice Ultimate - HD Extra - RZC
(2) HR22-100
(1) HR22-100 (Owned)
(1) HR21-100 (Owned)

#63 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,983 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 25 December 2009 - 02:33 AM

Still no Old Time Radio? Sigh.....

Really need to set up a way to rip from the audio channels into MP3 for personal playback.

"In an effort to increase your cable and satellite bills beyond the point of affordability and to further pad the pockets of our executives..."
Check out my list of links.

#64 OFFLINE   MikeW

MikeW

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,551 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 03:09 AM

Really need to set up a way to rip from the audio channels into MP3 for personal playback.

There are tons of websites dedicated to OTR. Do a google search and you'll find plenty of podcasts/streaming audio for personal playback. You could even find some links and set them up in TVersity and play it back through your HRxx hardware.

#65 OFFLINE   jal

jal

Icon

• Registered
  • 761 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 03:40 AM

How would one do this?

#66 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,042 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 03:55 AM

Define Old Time Radio. There is one channel on Sonic Tap that might fit the bill, but I'd need to know how you define Old Time Radio.

#67 OFFLINE   tfederov

tfederov

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,774 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 06:42 AM

Bye-bye DJ's! I'm glad DIRECTV is going back to a talk free lineup.
- Tony

SWiM16, H21-100, H23-600, H21-700 w/AM21, HR24-500, HR24-100 w/AM21, (3) HR20-700
All receivers networked via DECA
MediaShare using TVersity on Win 7 VM over Mac Snow Leopard

#68 OFFLINE   dodge boy

dodge boy

R.I.P. Chris Henry

• Banned User
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 07:26 AM

If they have heavy metal I guess I will be OK with it... That's about all I listen too...
My equipment:
1 HR22-100 leased
1 HR22-100 owned
1 HR23-700 owned
1 R22-100 owned
1 R22-200 owned

Slimline III with a 4X8 multiswitch and an SWM8
18" round dish with a 4X8 switch on the garage

#69 OFFLINE   rbpeirce

rbpeirce

Godfather

• Registered
  • 437 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 07:36 AM

I am not familiar with the new service, but frankly, I have been less than happy with all the gab since the merger. XM used to just play music.

#70 OFFLINE   cadet502

cadet502

FHNSAB

• DBSTalk Club
  • 846 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 07:45 AM

I wish they would drop all of them and lower my bill.

+1

Wouldn't miss them at all.

#71 OFFLINE   stlmike

stlmike

Legend

• Registered
  • 207 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 07:56 AM

Ticks me off - I have a lifetime XM sub, but listened at home via DirecTV...Now Ill need to undock the receiver from the car and bring it inside.

Same here. This is very bad news to me. :nono::nono2::mad:

#72 OFFLINE   loudo

loudo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,506 posts
  • LocationCentral Maine

Posted 25 December 2009 - 08:03 AM

ummmm This is what our cable company uses.... Does anyone know why they are getting rid of XM?

My guess would be it will cost them less for Sonic Tap than XM.

H44-200 - Samsung 1080p 46" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Samsunbg 32" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Mitsubishi 1080p 57" DLP - HDMI - Pioneer Home Theater Sound

LG 20 LCD" & Viewsonic 17" HDTV LCD - Component via Cat 6 baluns from HR44-200
Slimline w/ SWM3 LNB. OTA master antenna system to all sets.

#73 OFFLINE   Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner

Icon

• Registered
  • 682 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 08:46 AM

Add one more vote to the "extremely disappointed" category. I listen to XM/Sirius while I work at home and that's several hours a day. My two main channels are 810 Outlaw Country and 836 The Loft. I see absolutely nothing in the DMX lineup that comes close to either one.

As for DJs...The Loft is a perfect example of why some channels require a DJ. From their description:

Come up to The Loft where the rules, boundaries and limits to what we play are left up to our award-winning DJs. Nothing jarring, but always compelling. Hand-picked and comfortablty eclectic tunes from Tom Waits, Ryan Adams, Van Morrison, Lucinda Williams and Warren Zevon. Plus weekly shows from Rock and Roll Hall of Fame artist Lou Reed, David Johansen and author Dave Marsh, as well as iconic radio hosts Mike Marrone, Vin Scelsa and Meg Griffin.

It's actually more eclectic than even this description, as you'll also hear traditional country, blues, songs from the 50's, etc. I love it because the DJs find songs that I would never discover on my own and it's never boring. There is no way a playlist designed by committee to be safe to play as elevator music will ever equal a good DJ.

DMX is nothing but Muzak and that's not a good thing.
Sony 34" HD-CRT KD34XBR970 and Sceptre 40" LCD
Roku
R22 DVR / HR20-700 HD DVR
DirecTV since 1999
Waco/Temple/Bryan DMA

#74 OFFLINE   jeffshoaf

jeffshoaf

Icon

• Registered
  • 637 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 09:30 AM

Yep. Gives us a chance to ketchup on what other providers have.

I'd recommend "874 [New Channel] Salsa" for those hoping to ketchup on a little spicier music... :rolleyes:

#75 OFFLINE   johnp37

johnp37

Icon

• Registered
  • 537 posts
  • LocationCentral NJ

Posted 25 December 2009 - 09:37 AM

I could care less. Been a long time Sirius subscriber mainly because of NFL and more recently Nascar coverage. As mentioned previously this was to improve DTV's bottom line. Besides I don't listen to XM on DTV.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...