Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Confirmed: Sirius/XM Is Leaving DIRECTV

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
507 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   MikeW

MikeW

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,540 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 01:00 AM

Sorry, not buying the Press Release. Having Bob Dylan and Tom Petty introduce their favorite records and tell stories in between is not an "interruption."

DJ's cost money, and they add value to the programming.

Spend a while on the 80's and you'll learn that paying DJs doesn't necessarily mean it adds value. To hear the old VJs talking about interviewing bob and doug mckenzie means nothing to me. Too often they talk, just to talk. They most likely aren't even "in studio" when they are DJs. They probably pre-record their stuff and it gets automagically inserted. BTW...Nina Blackwood needs to move away from the mic when she inhales. The sound of 40 years of smoking doesn't sound good on the air.

Merry Christmas and to all...a good night!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   chevyguy559

chevyguy559

Fresno State Bulldog!

• Registered
  • 710 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 25 December 2009 - 01:26 AM

I'm torn, on one hand, as an XM subscriber it was nice to have the channels I listen to in my truck all day, available at home as well as part of my subscription to DirecTV.....but as long as there is a music choice, that works for me. I personally don't mind the DJ's on XM, but as long as there is equivalent choices for the channels I listen to, I'm gonna give it a shot and check them out :D

DirecTV Subscriber Since 11/2008
Choice Ultimate - HD Extra - RZC
(2) HR22-100
(1) HR22-100 (Owned)
(1) HR21-100 (Owned)

#63 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,859 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 25 December 2009 - 02:33 AM

Still no Old Time Radio? Sigh.....

Really need to set up a way to rip from the audio channels into MP3 for personal playback.
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

#64 OFFLINE   MikeW

MikeW

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,540 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 03:09 AM

Really need to set up a way to rip from the audio channels into MP3 for personal playback.

There are tons of websites dedicated to OTR. Do a google search and you'll find plenty of podcasts/streaming audio for personal playback. You could even find some links and set them up in TVersity and play it back through your HRxx hardware.

#65 OFFLINE   jal

jal

Icon

• Registered
  • 761 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 03:40 AM

How would one do this?

#66 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 03:55 AM

Define Old Time Radio. There is one channel on Sonic Tap that might fit the bill, but I'd need to know how you define Old Time Radio.

#67 OFFLINE   tfederov

tfederov

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,661 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 06:42 AM

Bye-bye DJ's! I'm glad DIRECTV is going back to a talk free lineup.
- Tony

SWiM16, H21-100, H23-600, H21-700 w/AM21, HR24-500, HR24-100 w/AM21, (3) HR20-700
All receivers networked via DECA
MediaShare using TVersity on Win 7 VM over Mac Snow Leopard

#68 OFFLINE   dodge boy

dodge boy

R.I.P. Chris Henry

• Banned User
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 07:26 AM

If they have heavy metal I guess I will be OK with it... That's about all I listen too...
My equipment:
1 HR22-100 leased
1 HR22-100 owned
1 HR23-700 owned
1 R22-100 owned
1 R22-200 owned

Slimline III with a 4X8 multiswitch and an SWM8
18" round dish with a 4X8 switch on the garage

#69 OFFLINE   rbpeirce

rbpeirce

Godfather

• Registered
  • 412 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 07:36 AM

I am not familiar with the new service, but frankly, I have been less than happy with all the gab since the merger. XM used to just play music.

#70 OFFLINE   cadet502

cadet502

FHNSAB

• DBSTalk Club
  • 846 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 07:45 AM

I wish they would drop all of them and lower my bill.

+1

Wouldn't miss them at all.

#71 OFFLINE   stlmike

stlmike

Legend

• Registered
  • 207 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 07:56 AM

Ticks me off - I have a lifetime XM sub, but listened at home via DirecTV...Now Ill need to undock the receiver from the car and bring it inside.

Same here. This is very bad news to me. :nono::nono2::mad:

#72 OFFLINE   loudo

loudo

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,468 posts
  • LocationCentral Maine

Posted 25 December 2009 - 08:03 AM

ummmm This is what our cable company uses.... Does anyone know why they are getting rid of XM?

My guess would be it will cost them less for Sonic Tap than XM.

H44-200 - Samsung 1080p 46" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Samsunbg 32" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Mitsubishi 1080p 57" DLP - HDMI - Pioneer Home Theater Sound

LG 20 LCD" & Viewsonic 17" HDTV LCD - Component via Cat 6 baluns from HR44-200
Slimline w/ SWM3 LNB. OTA master antenna system to all sets.

#73 OFFLINE   Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner

Icon

• Registered
  • 680 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 08:46 AM

Add one more vote to the "extremely disappointed" category. I listen to XM/Sirius while I work at home and that's several hours a day. My two main channels are 810 Outlaw Country and 836 The Loft. I see absolutely nothing in the DMX lineup that comes close to either one.

As for DJs...The Loft is a perfect example of why some channels require a DJ. From their description:

Come up to The Loft where the rules, boundaries and limits to what we play are left up to our award-winning DJs. Nothing jarring, but always compelling. Hand-picked and comfortablty eclectic tunes from Tom Waits, Ryan Adams, Van Morrison, Lucinda Williams and Warren Zevon. Plus weekly shows from Rock and Roll Hall of Fame artist Lou Reed, David Johansen and author Dave Marsh, as well as iconic radio hosts Mike Marrone, Vin Scelsa and Meg Griffin.

It's actually more eclectic than even this description, as you'll also hear traditional country, blues, songs from the 50's, etc. I love it because the DJs find songs that I would never discover on my own and it's never boring. There is no way a playlist designed by committee to be safe to play as elevator music will ever equal a good DJ.

DMX is nothing but Muzak and that's not a good thing.
Sony 34" HD-CRT KD34XBR970 and Sceptre 40" LCD
Roku
R22 DVR / HR20-700 HD DVR
DirecTV since 1999
Waco/Temple/Bryan DMA

#74 OFFLINE   jeffshoaf

jeffshoaf

Icon

• Registered
  • 630 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 09:30 AM

Yep. Gives us a chance to ketchup on what other providers have.

I'd recommend "874 [New Channel] Salsa" for those hoping to ketchup on a little spicier music... :rolleyes:

#75 OFFLINE   johnp37

johnp37

Icon

• Registered
  • 537 posts
  • LocationCentral NJ

Posted 25 December 2009 - 09:37 AM

I could care less. Been a long time Sirius subscriber mainly because of NFL and more recently Nascar coverage. As mentioned previously this was to improve DTV's bottom line. Besides I don't listen to XM on DTV.

#76 OFFLINE   jeffshoaf

jeffshoaf

Icon

• Registered
  • 630 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 09:41 AM

Now, too many XM stations are FM without commercials--but wait! They "promote" their other channels. Sounds awfully like commercials to me. Bah.

Tom

What frustrates me even more is that they don't say which DirecTV channel the promoted show is on - even when they talk about something I may be interested in, I can't tune to it since I only have a few XM channels showing in my custom guide!

#77 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,859 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 25 December 2009 - 09:48 AM

There are tons of websites dedicated to OTR. Do a google search and you'll find plenty of podcasts/streaming audio for personal playback. You could even find some links and set them up in TVersity and play it back through your HRxx hardware.

Done that. Filled my MP3 player with old radio dramams.

Define Old Time Radio.

Old time radio dramas. See Yesterday USA for an example.
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

#78 OFFLINE   Impala1ss

Impala1ss

Godfather

• Registered
  • 279 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 09:49 AM

Yes, a change is coming for early February. I believe customers will be notified in the next few days officially but obviously it appears some information came out a few days earlier than anticipated.

Just great. D* finally TOLD us something in advance. :icon_da::icon_da::icon_da:

Now I find out it was a mistake. Such great communications from the great satellite in the sky. :beatdeadhorse:

#79 OFFLINE   Sim-X

Sim-X

Godfather

• Registered
  • 381 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 10:21 AM

I like sirius :-( well I'm not gonna complain till we actually get to listen to it

#80 OFFLINE   loudo

loudo

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,468 posts
  • LocationCentral Maine

Posted 25 December 2009 - 10:43 AM

Actually that is what I do, more than I listen to XM. Got loads of them streaming through TVersity.

H44-200 - Samsung 1080p 46" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Samsunbg 32" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Mitsubishi 1080p 57" DLP - HDMI - Pioneer Home Theater Sound

LG 20 LCD" & Viewsonic 17" HDTV LCD - Component via Cat 6 baluns from HR44-200
Slimline w/ SWM3 LNB. OTA master antenna system to all sets.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...