Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Confirmed: Sirius/XM Is Leaving DIRECTV

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
507 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   anleva

anleva

Icon

• Registered
  • 567 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 10:53 AM

Sorry, not buying the Press Release. Having Bob Dylan and Tom Petty introduce their favorite records and tell stories in between is not an "interruption."

DJ's cost money, and they add value to the programming. When there is a blizzard (like last week) they play a set of songs about storms. When it's a heatwave, the play Summer in the City, etc. No computer generated play list does that.

I seriously doubt the new provider has anything remotely close to what Earle Bailey has created with Deep Tracks. I.E, a trip back to the glory days of free form progressive FM rock radio. If your a serious classic rock fan, interested in the history of popular music, or just miss the days when the late night DJ's could play whatever they wanted, Deep Tracks is the best.

+1 Channels like Deep Tracks are interesting and unique and offer character, variety and personality that is all too lacking on FM radio these days.

I don't know much about SonicTap. Does anyone know how much influence Clear Channel will have over SonicTap's programming? The more Clear Channel influence on SonicTap the less valuable this change will be to me. I have little interest in much of anything Clear Channel has to offer.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   dlt4

dlt4

Godfather

• Registered
  • 447 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 25 December 2009 - 10:56 AM

I for one am ready for a change. I only listen to 3-5 of the SXM channels anyway, and the ones I prefer have become annoying with the additional "DJ" chatter. Don't even get me started on Motormouth Young on the '60s channel. :mad:

DirecTV customer since 2003
HR44-700 --> Sony KDL-46XBR4
HR24-500 --> Sony KDL-32EX500

#83 OFFLINE   dishrich

dishrich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 11:47 AM

I don't know much about SonicTap. Does anyone know how much influence Clear Channel will have over SonicTap's programming?

NONE whatsoever - DMX has NOTHING to do w/CC.
Sonic Tap is simply the branding D* has given this service, which is simply DMX rebranded service. Every Sonic Tap channel is on the current DMX lineup, which has already stated in previous posts - simple as that.
DMX is used by many cable & telco (TV) co, as well as it used to be on the Primestar DBS service.
Go to their website & you can read up on them:

www.dmx.com

#84 OFFLINE   anleva

anleva

Icon

• Registered
  • 567 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 12:05 PM

Sonic Tap is simply the branding D* has given this service, which is simply DMX rebranded service. Every Sonic Tap channel is on the current DMX lineup, which has already stated in previous posts - simple as that.
DMX is used by many cable & telco (TV) co, as well as it used to be on the Primestar DBS service.

www.dmx.com

From the site you linked it sounds like they are mainly about music programming that drives business for their corporate clients?

The first music service to license and program original artist music, DMX has rigorously researched and tested the effects of music, video, messaging and scent on human behavior. By integrating them into a single compelling experience, we help clients drive repeat business and build brand loyalty.

We believe music defines you, sets you apart and helps you succeed – from enhancing your product or service to actually impacting customer behavior. Music can be critical to how consumers perceive your business. So, DMX brings you a wide range of customizable music solutions designed to help you make better connections wherever your customers may be – on-site, online or on the go

In a world where the average person sees 3,000 advertisements a day, the only way to stand out is by delivering a multi-sensory experience customers won’t forget. An international leader in multi-sensory branding, DMX has been creating unforgettable brand experiences for commercial environments since 1971. The first music service to license and program original artist music, DMX has rigorously researched and tested the effects of music, video, messaging and scent on human behavior. By integrating them into a single compelling experience, we help clients drive repeat business and build brand loyalty.

At DMX We Believe in the Power of Music.

91% Of Customers Say Music Affects Their Shopping Behavior

Yuck.

#85 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 12:19 PM

Just great. D* finally TOLD us something in advance. :icon_da::icon_da::icon_da:

Now I find out it was a mistake. Such great communications from the great satellite in the sky. :beatdeadhorse:

Not a mistake, it was going out to all customers in a few days, just looks like they put it up before the holiday.

D* informs customers in advance on changes of this type all the time.

#86 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 12:20 PM

www.dmx.com

SonicTap is actually a brand that DMX has chosen to use here in the USA. They own that brand name.

#87 OFFLINE   msingh

msingh

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 12:39 PM

XM/Sirius isn't worth it in my opinion. Very rarely do they actually play something new among the playlists. Too often it is repeated songs ad nauseam.

I was excited about Satellite radio when it first came out, but after my 90 day trial ended in my car, I decided it was definitely not worth paying extra $$$ for. As others have pointed out, too much DJ chatter, too many repetitive songs, and commercials. The audio quality was bad and would drop out when going through tunnels (duh!). Much easier to burn CD/DVD's or, these days, hook up the iPod and listen to my music for free :grin:

I do like some of the XM channels on DirecTV, but in the end if the new provider plays somewhat similar songs, I'll be happy. Especially if it prevents them from raising prices!!

#88 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,838 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 12:40 PM

I like sirius

Surely you can't be serious...:D
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#89 OFFLINE   Inches

Inches

Godfather

• Registered
  • 410 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 12:44 PM

I never listen to any of the xm music... I doubt I'll listen to their replacement... Juist add more TV, if I want music I can listen to a CD, my stereo or media share.

Well said. If I want to listen to radio I use an internet radio and pick up stations world wide. Had XM when they first came on and was not impressed.

I'd rather see D* efforts in getting HD programming rather than audio. COME ON TRAVEL CHANNEL!!

1 - HR34-700
--··· ···-- -·· · -·- -···· ·-· -·· -·-

#90 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,132 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 25 December 2009 - 12:56 PM

XM/Sirius isn't worth it in my opinion. Very rarely do they actually play something new among the playlists. Too often it is repeated songs ad nauseam.

Agreed. We had Holly on a few times and I couldn't believe how often they played Christmas Wrapping, which has to be one of the most annoying Christmas songs of all time.

#91 OFFLINE   dcowboy7

dcowboy7

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,649 posts
  • LocationPequannock, NJ

Posted 25 December 2009 - 01:34 PM

They play this at: mall of america/cheesecake factory/hooters so it must be good: :D

RETAIL Mandee • Restoration Hardware • H&M • Williams-Sonoma • Jones Apparel Group • The Container Store • Guess? • Coach • Bebe • Burberry • DKNY • J. Crew • Pacsun • Cost Plus World Market • Pottery Barn • Tully’s Coffee • Saks Fifth Avenue • Mall of America

RESTAURANTS Olive Garden • Baja Fresh • The Cheesecake FactoryHooters • Panera Bread

HOTELS Choice Hotels International • Marriott International

ENTERTAINMENT Disneyland Resort • Six Flags New England • Universal Studios

EALTH & FITNESS 24 Hour Fitness • Bodies in Motion • Lady of America • Gold’s Gym

EDUCATION Georgetown University • American University • Pennsylvania State University

#92 OFFLINE   waynenm

waynenm

I like this stuff.

• Registered
  • 272 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 02:22 PM

I can stream SXM over my network, and will probably do that. I enjoy SXM, and consider myself a radiophile in that I think a well thought out program, with some kind of DJ backannounce and involvement is preferable to a Pandora style or LastFM project, even if it's well designed. There's something about a human touch in radio that just makes it better. Anyway, I doubt SXM leaving D* is a good thing for those who are not SXM subscribers. I suspect some, who have enjoyed listening, will subscribe to SXM. Whose idea was this anyway? That might explain thngs.
\//
HR24-500 Native Off, 2TB internal Drive
HR22-100 Native Off, 2TB eSata External Drive
(WD20EVDS in an Antec MX-1)
HDMI Gefen 1:2 HDMI Splitter
LG BD-390 Blu-ray streaming Netflix
Hardwired Ethernet
Sony KDL-40V2500 + KLV-S23A10
Sirius/XM Radio all over the place
Harmony One

#93 OFFLINE   SamC

SamC

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,963 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 02:28 PM

To me, this is NBD. Its like moving from one town to another (pre-XM). The (*genre) channel at the new town might be a little different from teh (*genre) channel in the old town, but at the end of the day, its pretty much the same.

#94 OFFLINE   Piratefan98

Piratefan98

Icon

• Registered
  • 685 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 03:33 PM

I'm really only interested in TV programming, so it doesn't matter to me in the least where they get the music.

It's akin to finding out that Nissan Motor Corp is switching from Dunkin' Donuts to Starbucks coffee in their waiting rooms. I really only care about the car services, not the coffee. Similar with DirecTV, I only care about the TV channels being offered, not the music.

Merry Christmas!

#95 OFFLINE   loudo

loudo

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,482 posts
  • LocationCentral Maine

Posted 25 December 2009 - 05:28 PM

Don't even get me started on Motormouth Young on the '60s channel. :mad:

Oh!! Come on, that is what makes that channel. :lol:

H44-200 - Samsung 1080p 46" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Samsunbg 32" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Mitsubishi 1080p 57" DLP - HDMI - Pioneer Home Theater Sound

LG 20 LCD" & Viewsonic 17" HDTV LCD - Component via Cat 6 baluns from HR44-200
Slimline w/ SWM3 LNB. OTA master antenna system to all sets.

#96 OFFLINE   tralfaz

tralfaz

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Banned User
  • 91 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 05:48 PM

No biggie.

#97 OFFLINE   Araxen

Araxen

Icon

• Registered
  • 785 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 07:42 PM

I gave up on Sirius(their music is pretty stale as the majority of the channels have no playlist depth) and listen to shoutcast instead. The difference is night and day and I save myself $13/month now.
If it ain't in HD, it ain't worth watching!
PSN: Araxen - Xbox: Gamertag: Araxen II - Steam: Araxen - WiiU: Araxen

#98 OFFLINE   compnurd

compnurd

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,139 posts
  • LocationEvans City PA

Posted 25 December 2009 - 09:03 PM

this sucks

SWM-16
HR44
2-C-41
HR24
2-H25

#99 OFFLINE   dishrich

dishrich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 09:59 PM

From the site you linked it sounds like they are mainly about music programming that drives business for their corporate clients?

Uh, OK - but it still doesn't change the fact that many cable systems DO use it for their music services. Matter of fact, we used to have it on our cable system here for many years, until Insight changed it to Music Choice. When it was on, the audio quality was quite good - as good, if not better than Music Choice. Several cable systems around Spfld still use it to this day.

I highly doubt this many cable systems would be using this service for businesses/corp clients, since their primary purpose is to entice residential subs to digital cable. And BTW, Music Choice does offer the very SAME things as DMX to corporate clients, & again, MANY cable & TV telcos (such as FiOS) offer a residential service, which many folks (including myself) enjoy very much.

Yuck.

If you have NOT heard it yourself before, why not at least give it a chance before turning your nose up at it... :rolleyes:

Edited by dishrich, 25 December 2009 - 10:12 PM.

#100 OFFLINE   anleva

anleva

Icon

• Registered
  • 567 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 10:32 PM

If you have NOT heard it yourself before, why not at least give it a chance before turning your nose up at it... :rolleyes:

It was a comment to the corporate gibberish on the web site you pointed me to that provided very little insight on the music channels themselves, just marketing fluff on how dmx corporate clients can make more sales and build brand loyalty through better music programming. I never said I would not give it a chance, that's the conclusion you seem to be jumping to. :rolleyes:

Protected By... spam firewall...And...