Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Can I connect my DVD/BD player via the output of D11-100?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Doom878

Doom878

AllStar

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 03:13 PM

I have an old tube TV for now with a D11-100 box. They are connected with RCA cables. The old TV only has one video out which is occupied by the D11. No RF because it broke off. Can I connect my DVD/BD player to the output of the D11 using the RCAs?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,081 posts
  • LocationA Galaxy Far, Far Away.....

Posted 25 December 2009 - 03:21 PM

I have an old tube TV for now with a D11-100 box. They are connected with RCA cables. The old TV only has one video out which is occupied by the D11. No RF because it broke off. Can I connect my DVD/BD player to the output of the D11 using the RCAs?

Well you stated it incorrectly from what I gather.

You tv's rf input is broke off. The TV has 1 video "input" (not output) that the directv d11 is connected to.

I take it that your asking if the dvd/BD player can be connected in some manner to the D11 in order to still playback on the TV----the answer is NO.

You can buy a cheap composite a/v switcher that both the D11 and the DVD/BD player can connect to 2 of the inputs and the output of the switch connectes to the input on the tv to accomplish what your wanting to do.

#3 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 03:21 PM

No, the output of the D11 is an OUTPUT, it wont accept any INPUT from your DVD player. You would need a switch box to select either the D11 or the DVD player to go to your one input on the TV.

#4 OFFLINE   Doom878

Doom878

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 03:27 PM

What's the point of the 2nd set of RCA connections?

#5 OFFLINE   Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,081 posts
  • LocationA Galaxy Far, Far Away.....

Posted 25 December 2009 - 04:21 PM

What's the point of the 2nd set of RCA connections?

Well there are several reasons.

One output to the tv, the other output can be connected to vcr or dvd recorder, or even a PC for that matter for program recording/archiving.

Or

Take the second set of outputs for music playback on a whole house music system.

Those are just 2 examples......

#6 OFFLINE   moghedien

moghedien

Legend

• Registered
  • 199 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 06:12 PM

This is something I used to connect a DTV receiver and a dvd player to a tv that only had one set of inputs:

http://www.amazon.co...61785772&sr=8-3

I liked this model because it could switch from DTV to the dvd player without having to push a button on the AV switcher itself.

#7 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,892 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 09:07 PM

Am I the only one here wondering why someone is trying to connect a Blue Ray player to an old tube tv with a broken-off composite input?
"He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."

#8 OFFLINE   Smooth Jazzer

Smooth Jazzer

Legend

• Registered
  • 183 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 10:12 PM

#9 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 26 December 2009 - 08:45 PM

Am I the only one here wondering why someone is trying to connect a Blue Ray player to an old tube tv with a broken-off composite input?

I think it's the RF input that's broken off. But I'm so confused about inputs being referred to outputs and other terminology translations that I'm hopelessy lost and can't offer any suggestions other than "buy a new TV".... :P

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

spam firewall