Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Soon to be ex D* sub

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   delco7

delco7

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 11:17 PM

After the Versus debacle at the end of the Indycar season, losing ESPN Classic to a higher tier, the constant price increases, and the fact that I'm paying for the HD Extra pack that mostly contains COMMERCIALS, I'm canceling after 11 years of loyal D* use.
Comcrap here I come. :nono2:
Some days it doesn't pay to gnaw thru the leather straps.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   bills976

bills976

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 506 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 11:19 PM

You sound like a prime candidate to switch to a combination of OTA and Netflix. Have you considered such a change?
Living Room: HR20-700 connected to a 52" Sony KDL-52Z5100
OTA: Radio Shack 15-2187 diplexed over SWM with Channel Master diplexers
Dish: CalAmp Slimline w/ WNC SWMline LNB
Spare receiver gathering dust: Phillips DSR-704

#3 OFFLINE   barryb

barryb

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,935 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 11:28 PM

What ever you decide works best for you.... and :welcome_s to DBSTalk :)
Barry
MY SETUP
You can usually find me helping out in the Quiet Room on Friday chat night.

#4 OFFLINE   delco7

delco7

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 11:39 PM

Wow Bills976. Do you have ESP..N or something. I just got thru hooking up my new Sony Blu-Ray with Netflix access and it is totally KEWL!!! Not only does it have Netflix access, you can watch Youtube videos and serveral other services, including PPV movies from Amazom. Thnx for the welcome BTW. I've actually had this account for a couple of years but just verified it. Long time reader. And thanks to all for the invaluable info I have gleaned from here. :goodjob:

#5 OFFLINE   gphvid

gphvid

Godfather

• Registered
  • 494 posts
  • LocationThousand Oaks, Ca

Posted 26 December 2009 - 04:27 AM

After the Versus debacle at the end of the Indycar season, losing ESPN Classic to a higher tier, the constant price increases, and the fact that I'm paying for the HD Extra pack that mostly contains COMMERCIALS, I'm canceling after 11 years of loyal D* use.

I could never return to cable knowing exactly how the cable system out here works and the quality of it. And losing one channel doesn't necessarity bother me. I'm waiting to see what D12 brings... So D* is still the best deal here and the picture quality beats the heck out of TW...

#6 ONLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,192 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 09:22 AM

Comcrap has ESPN Classic in the sports pack and they Cost more then Direct tv. Some systems even have fox movie channel and speed in the sports pack as well.

about $75 just for comcast digital preferred / classic + $15-$20 Per HD DVR or $8-$10 per HD box VS about $75 Direct tv HD DVR + $5/m per box after box 1.

#7 OFFLINE   Clemsole

Clemsole

Godfather

• Registered
  • 366 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 09:37 AM

You will be back, wishing you had never left.

#8 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,531 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 26 December 2009 - 09:50 AM

And losing one channel doesn't necessarity bother me.

I daresay it would bother you if it was the only source of the sport that you followed.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#9 OFFLINE   delco7

delco7

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 12:32 PM

You will be back, wishing you had never left.

That may be true...but it will be with E* not D*. And since there is no commitment @ Comcrap, I won't be out much if it truely is "Comcraptick". Also, in this area, it may be around 10 bannanas less monthly for the lowest tier, which INCLUDES VS, SpeedTV, and several others not on D*. One more thing, it's not so much the money, it's I don't like being taken advantage of, ya know. Been a D* sub since 98, so it will be fun to tell them to kiss off.

BTW, I highly recommend the new Blu-Ray players and other devices that are Netflix enabled. I've watched almost nothing else since I got mine yesterday. :icon_da:

#10 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,849 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 26 December 2009 - 12:33 PM

And since there is no commitment @ Comcrap, I won't be out much if it truely is "Comcraptick".

Several of the Comcast promotions in my area DO have commitments associated with them. Be sure and read all the fine print before signing on the dotted line.

#11 OFFLINE   TEN89

TEN89

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 220 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 01:30 PM

Go

#12 OFFLINE   Grentz

Grentz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 01:42 PM

That may be true...but it will be with E* not D*. And since there is no commitment @ Comcrap, I won't be out much if it truely is "Comcraptick". Also, in this area, it may be around 10 bannanas less monthly for the lowest tier, which INCLUDES VS, SpeedTV, and several others not on D*. One more thing, it's not so much the money, it's I don't like being taken advantage of, ya know. Been a D* sub since 98, so it will be fun to tell them to kiss off.

BTW, I highly recommend the new Blu-Ray players and other devices that are Netflix enabled. I've watched almost nothing else since I got mine yesterday. :icon_da:

It's what ever is best for you, but I cannot say that changing channel agreements and some slight price increases are Directv "taking advantage of you". Cable has had the same thing going on over the years.

Comcast is more expensive than DirecTV for similar packages/boxes/etc. But if DirecTV does not have a channel you need, you most likely are stuck going to someone else.
-Grentz
Subscriber since Oct. 1996
HR21-700, HR22-100, H24-100 (SWM)
~Detailed Setup~

Directv Signal Strength Posting Tool - Excel Ver. Web Ver.

#13 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 02:15 PM

BYE

#14 OFFLINE   cjrleimer

cjrleimer

Godfather

• Registered
  • 480 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 02:23 PM

Same thing here to each his own, and I wonder why Houston hasnt gotten Fios or AT&T U Verse yet?

#15 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,095 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 02:25 PM

Wow Bills976. Do you have ESP..N or something. I just got thru hooking up my new Sony Blu-Ray with Netflix access and it is totally KEWL!!! Not only does it have Netflix access, you can watch Youtube videos and serveral other services, including PPV movies from Amazom. Thnx for the welcome BTW. I've actually had this account for a couple of years but just verified it. Long time reader. And thanks to all for the invaluable info I have gleaned from here. :goodjob:

Youtube doesn't have quality shows. Good luck!

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#16 OFFLINE   Jestr40

Jestr40

Godfather

• Registered
  • 290 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 03:07 PM

The venom in here is ridiculous! Seriously, every person has different needs or wants. Personally, I currently have D* and Comcast, six months ago I would have never thought about leaving D*. However, since then Comcast has passed D* by far in HD channels THAT I WATCH. Nothing against D* but D12 better be big because if I had to choose right now Comcast wins (mainly because of ESPNU HD and RZC for $5). That said, my commit to D* ends in October 2010, and I expect that my mind will change four or five times by then!

#17 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,985 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 03:36 PM

You do know that Versus on DIsh is in a sports pack that causes it to be more, just like the HD extra pack... And that is the big argument from Directv right now, why Versus won;t make their charges equal to what the other providers are paying... SO rest asssured, at some point that will come up with all other providers, except maybe, well, comcast..

I'd just drop the extra HD pack myself.. Don't need it here.... Netflix, and choice extra, but I have no premiums right now....

My one real recommendation to you.. First.. DO your homework and find out EXACTLY how much the alternatives will cost you long term.. Not some promotional price for 6 months.. They always nail you with that.. Also, Try suspending your Directv account and getting someone else and then you can try out someone else before you fully commit to leaving DIrectv, if only because its a pain in the tucus to come back if you for some reason you decided you wanted to after d12 went up.. And if you are a dvr person like me, don;t even bother with anything cable.. They have nothing to compete with Directv or DIsh...

#18 OFFLINE   CJTE

CJTE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 05:51 PM

I daresay it would bother you if it was the only source of the sport that you followed.

Like Bronc and Bull riding :(

To the op: Whatever makes you happiest, I hope you find a provider that satisfies all your needs.

The polish and shine wears off after about a week when you realize that things that you'd like to see aren't available on demand and may never be, then you have to order the blu-rays/dvd's and wait for arrival...

#19 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 26 December 2009 - 09:22 PM

I'm not a sports fan and couldn't care less which sports channels are in my package (Choice Extra + DVR).

But after receiving all kinds of information (bill insert, TV MAIL message, etc.) about the Science Channel being available to all CHOICE subscribers and some stupid Disney Cartoon channel requiring a change to CHOICE EXTRA I was kind of surprised when I discovered that the ESPN Classic channel had magically been removed from CHOICE EXTRA without so much as a peep. If I was a sports fan, I would have been highly annoyed. Not that I follow them, but I read that due to a recent snowstorm a University of Wisconsin game was postponed and thus would be shown on ESPN Classic instead of ESPN. If I was a fan, this could have caused me to do what the thread starter of this thread is doing (canceling DirecTV).

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#20 OFFLINE   Guesst925XTU

Guesst925XTU

Legend

• Registered
  • 219 posts
  • LocationOcean County, NJ zip code 08008

Posted 26 December 2009 - 09:27 PM

I have Premier with the HD Extra and never, ever watch any of the sports channels.

ESPN Classic? Versus? They never have and probably never will be on any of my 4 TVs...

-------------------------
Note to DirecTV:
My Zip code is 08008.

I live 60 miles East of Philadelphia.

I'm 83 miles South of NY.

Comcast provides KYW, WPVI, WCAU, WHYY, WPHL, WTXF, WPSG & WMCN all in both SD & HD in Ocean County.
Why don't you?

spam firewall