Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Confirmation on my proposed SWM / HD-DVR setup

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bc3tech

bc3tech

AllStar

• Registered
  • 86 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 09:15 PM

Hey guys, I know there are some knowledgeable installers on this board, and I am unfortunately "stuck" in an MDU configuration where the builder cut corners.

Issue is that the builder ran only two wires from the central dish to each unit, and we have two TVs in separate rooms of the house. For now this means that, since I have HD DVRs (HR20 and HR22), I get only single tuner capability on each TV.

For "my" (really the whole family) Christmas present I want to spend the $$ on an SWM and necessary stuff to get everything working w/ dual tuner capability in my unit.
The installer for the building has stated they will install an SWM for only me (for a fee) and are willing to sell it to me as well. Obviously I can find them cheaper elsewhere so am going to be obtaining an SWM8 for this purpose.

My question is, once the SWM 8 is installed and the two lines to my unit are running from it, can I use the SPLIT2-Z splitter to get usage from both tuners of both receivers in my unit? Or will i not require a splitter at all? What about for DTV's new "doubleplay" (or whatever) feature?

Thanks in advance
B

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Grentz

Grentz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 09:24 PM

You will not need any splitters at the receivers themselves. You just hookup SAT 1 (SWM) and leave SAT 2 disconnected. Doubleplay will work fine as well as both tuners will be active even though you only have one SWM coax running to each DVR.

If they hookup both coax lines to the SWM outside of your unit, just run one line to each DVR, such as this diagram:
http://www.swm8.com/...WM12-0SPLIT.pdf

If they only hookup the SWM to one of the lines coming into your unit, then you would use a 2 way splitter to split the single coax coming in to each of your DVRs such as this diagram:
http://www.swm8.com/...SWM1-1SPLIT.pdf
-Grentz
Subscriber since Oct. 1996
HR21-700, HR22-100, H24-100 (SWM)
~Detailed Setup~

Directv Signal Strength Posting Tool - Excel Ver. Web Ver.

#3 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 09:28 PM

You need 4 input lines from the master dish to a swm8. Each line from the SWM8 would them control BOTH tuners in each of your DVRs with one line.

#4 OFFLINE   bc3tech

bc3tech

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 86 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 09:41 PM

You will not need any splitters at the receivers themselves. You just hookup SAT 1 (SWM) and leave SAT 2 disconnected.

great, thanks

Doubleplay will work fine as well as both tuners will be active even though you only have one SWM coax running to each DVR.

can somebody else confirm this? in a previous discussion of doubleplay, i thought i read that it required two actual tuners to function

#5 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,571 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 09:49 PM

There are two actual tuners. It's just that with the SWM installation only ONE cable is needed to the DVR.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#6 OFFLINE   Grentz

Grentz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 09:52 PM

can somebody else confirm this? in a previous discussion of doubleplay, i thought i read that it required two actual tuners to function

I can 100% positively absolutely confirm it for you. I run the same setup in my house and have installed them as well :)

The SWM is two actual tuners through one coax. Internally the receiver uses the one input as two tuners even though the conventional SAT 2 connection remains disconnected outside the box.
-Grentz
~Detailed Setup~

#7 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 26 December 2009 - 10:32 PM

SWM == Single Wire Multiswitch .. Both tuners will work from the single coax so you will get the benefits.

It sounds like the MDU installers know what to do, just make sure they don't let anyone else mooch off of your SWM-8 .. You will already be using 4 of the 8 channels, but you should be able to add up to four more tuners in your house if you choose since the SWM is yours.

Oh, and you should be able to put the power inserter in your home to power the SWM. Just make sure everything gets plugged in correctly.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#8 OFFLINE   bc3tech

bc3tech

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 86 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 07:16 PM

It sounds like the MDU installers know what to do, just make sure they don't let anyone else mooch off of your SWM-8 .. You will already be using 4 of the 8 channels, but you should be able to add up to four more tuners in your house if you choose since the SWM is yours.

right, they've assured me that basically they will install and uninstall it for me if/when i sell the place. I plan on writing on it in permanent marker my name and address and that it is to be used only to service my unit

Oh, and you should be able to put the power inserter in your home to power the SWM. Just make sure everything gets plugged in correctly.

i'm not sure how this would be done. as i understand it the power inserter runs to the SWM via a coax cable. to power it w/in my unit i'd need that coax cable run to my unit, which isn't done. how would i put the power inserter in my unit?

#9 OFFLINE   Grentz

Grentz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 07:22 PM

i'm not sure how this would be done. as i understand it the power inserter runs to the SWM via a coax cable. to power it w/in my unit i'd need that coax cable run to my unit, which isn't done. how would i put the power inserter in my unit?

You put the PI on the coax that is coming in to feed your receivers.
-Grentz
~Detailed Setup~

#10 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 27 December 2009 - 08:30 PM

If you check this diagram (Thanks litzdog911), you'll see that the power inserter connects to one port on the SWM-8. Whichever coax from your home goes back to the power port will connect to the inserter and the other end of the inserter will go out toward the receivers. The second line can connect to the other port on your SWM. This diagram does a good job of showing where things are. The two 'IRD' ports on the SWM are essentially the two cables from SWM to your home. All of the gear (including inserter) can be in your home.

http://www.dbstalk.c...=1&d=1261967200

Attached Thumbnails

• SWM-diag.jpg

DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#11 OFFLINE   dminches

dminches

Godfather

• Registered
  • 417 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 06:10 AM

Doug, a several questions on your diagram as I prepare for DECA.

I have a Zinwell WB616 MS now. I assume I can just drop in the SWM8 where the Zinwell is? That is, the outputs from my current slim dish correspond to the inputs on the SWM8?

Second, why are there multiple 2-way splitters from IRD1? Aren't there 4-way splitters that can be used?

Thirdly, I currently power 16 tuners with my Zinwell. Some of there are hooked up to legacy receivers. Can I hook up an HR10-250 (just used for SD) to one of the IRD output or do I have to use one of the other outputs?

Finally, is there any difference between the IRD1 and IRD2 output? That is, I assume you could have hooked up any DVR to any output?

DirecTV subscriber since 1994
HR44 (5 TB eSata) -> Runco LS-5 via HDMI

HR24-500 (2 TB eSata) -> Samsung 50" via HDMI
HR24-100 (1.5 TB eSata) -> Sony 50E2000 via HDMI
HR24-700 - owned (2 TB internal) -> Samsung LN32A550 via HDMI
HR20-100s - owned -> Sony Bravia 40"

#12 OFFLINE   Grentz

Grentz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 06:40 AM

Doug, a several questions on your diagram as I prepare for DECA.

I have a Zinwell WB616 MS now. I assume I can just drop in the SWM8 where the Zinwell is? That is, the outputs from my current slim dish correspond to the inputs on the SWM8?

Correct

Second, why are there multiple 2-way splitters from IRD1? Aren't there 4-way splitters that can be used?

A 4 way splitter would have worked in the picture as well, sometimes though the actual physical layout works better with multiple splitters

Thirdly, I currently power 16 tuners with my Zinwell. Some of there are hooked up to legacy receivers. Can I hook up an HR10-250 (just used for SD) to one of the IRD output or do I have to use one of the other outputs?

Legacy (non-SWM) receivers cannot be hooked up to the SWM outputs (IRD1 or IRD2). You can use the legacy ports, but they work like the old setup where each tuner will need to be directly wired to a legacy port and no splitters/etc. will work.

You can run a WB68 in parallel with the SWM-8 to get more legacy ports.

Finally, is there any difference between the IRD1 and IRD2 output? That is, I assume you could have hooked up any DVR to any output?

No difference, the combined outputs of IRD1 and IRD2 cannot have more than the max number of tuners for the SWM though (so the SWM8 could have any combination of 8 tuners spread across IRD1 and IRD2).

Hope that helps :)
-Grentz
~Detailed Setup~

#13 OFFLINE   dminches

dminches

Godfather

• Registered
  • 417 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 08:14 AM

No difference, the combined outputs of IRD1 and IRD2 cannot have more than the max number of tuners for the SWM though (so the SWM8 could have any combination of 8 tuners spread across IRD1 and IRD2).

Does the 8 include the legacy outputs?

I have 5 HD DVRs (10 tuners), 1 HD receiver and 2 legacy DVRs (2 tuners). Sounds like I would need 2 SWM8s?

Thanks for the detailed reply.

#14 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,791 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 08:20 AM

Does the 8 include the legacy outputs?

I have 5 HD DVRs (10 tuners), 1 HD receiver and 2 legacy DVRs (2 tuners). Sounds like I would need 2 SWM8s?

Thanks for the detailed reply.

8 SWM tuners + 3 legacy tuners = 11
A.K.A VOS

#15 OFFLINE   PokerJoker

PokerJoker

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 476 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 15 April 2010 - 10:09 PM

Another possibility that wsn't mentioned: feed the 4 SWM8 inputs with 4 of the output lines from the WB616. That leaves you 12 remaining legacy outputs to feed older devices. This setup works great, I have it in my house. I made some little 6 inch coax lines to connect the two boxes.

The WB616 is/was a great switch, way way better than the el cheapo non-powered WB68. Too bad they've been discontinued. But since you have one already, why not use it?

Keith

#16 OFFLINE   dminches

dminches

Godfather

• Registered
  • 417 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 03:49 PM

Another possibility that wsn't mentioned: feed the 4 SWM8 inputs with 4 of the output lines from the WB616. That leaves you 12 remaining legacy outputs to feed older devices. This setup works great, I have it in my house. I made some little 6 inch coax lines to connect the two boxes.

The WB616 is/was a great switch, way way better than the el cheapo non-powered WB68. Too bad they've been discontinued. But since you have one already, why not use it?

Keith

Which 4 outputs from the WB616 would I use to feed the SWM8? I like this idea since I do not want to have to buy 2 SWM8s.

#17 OFFLINE   evan_s

evan_s

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 09:04 AM

Any 4 outputs on the wb616 would work. If you wanted to you could even split the inputs to the wb616 and swm8 and hook them up in parallel. If you split them you need to make sure the inputs match on the WB616 and SWM8 but running the SWM8 off the WB616 you don't need to worry as any port will provide what the SWM8 needs.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...