Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

I thought spontaneous reboots were a thing of the past?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Dr_J

Dr_J

Icon

• Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 02:16 PM

After the 6.2e disaster of two years ago, I thought spontaneous reboots were a thing of the past. I was watching my old Phillips Series2 TiVo today when it spontaneously rebooted. It's running 6.4a. Anyone else having spontaneous reboots?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 11,712 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 27 December 2009 - 02:30 PM

Rarely. Probably nothing to worry about, unless it happens more often. The usual suspects include overheating, poor ac power, and dying hard drive.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#3 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,953 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 02:54 PM

Rarely. Probably nothing to worry about, unless it happens more often. The usual suspects include overheating, poor ac power, and dying hard drive.

I think that's what I was experiencing with my HR10-250 with almost daily reboots. I could have replaced the hard drive, but given the fact that it only receives 2 or 3 HD channels via DIRECTV, I couldn't justify the cost.

Ceton 6 tuner eth, Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and Standard Internet, TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB) for OTA,TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device, Xbox 360 

#4 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,479 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 03:06 PM

You might want to add that it could be a failing power supply unit or intermittent power interruption.

Edited by Richierich, 27 December 2009 - 06:16 PM.

DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#5 OFFLINE   Dr_J

Dr_J

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 06:09 PM

Thanks for the input. I rarely watch this old TiVo anymore, and this is the first time I've had a spontaneous reboot in awhile. I use it mainly to back up recordings of important shows on the main HR20. It's connected to a UPS unit that's about 2 1/2 years old--I don't know if that's getting too old or if it were related to that. I had a backup recording freeze up the TiVo box and didn't discover it until the next morning a few months back, requiring disconnection from the UPS to reboot. Again, an isolated occurrence so far. The TiVo is about 4 1/2 years old.

#6 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,953 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 06:11 PM

The TiVo is about 4 1/2 years old.

Original hard drive still in it?

Ceton 6 tuner eth, Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and Standard Internet, TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB) for OTA,TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device, Xbox 360 

#7 OFFLINE   Dr_J

Dr_J

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 06:13 PM

Yup.

#8 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,953 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 06:19 PM

Yup.

Then I'd have to say it's probably not power issues, but since you're getting close to the 5 yr. point with a drive that's in constant use, it comes down to replacing that drive. The PATA large capacity drives are getting pretty scarce, but if you still use it as a backup, I'd leave it up to you as whether it's worth it.

#9 OFFLINE   Dr_J

Dr_J

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 06:26 PM

Then I'd have to say it's probably not power issues, but since you're getting close to the 5 yr. point with a drive that's in constant use, it comes down to replacing that drive. The PATA large capacity drives are getting pretty scarce, but if you still use it as a backup, I'd leave it up to you as whether it's worth it.

It's possible. The last time I had hard drive failure on my original TiVo, the recordings literally froze. I'd have to skip to the end of the recording and then back up to beyond the freeze point. That one was only 2 years old. Been luckier with this one. We'll see what happens. Thanks. :)

#10 OFFLINE   Dr_J

Dr_J

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 06:29 PM

I also have the protection plan, so if it becomes a serious issue, I'll just swap it out for a new box.

#11 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,479 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 06:32 PM

Whether it is the hard drive failing or a power supply unit not supplying enough power for the hard drive to fully spin at it's intended rate of speed you need to either replace the offending device or replace the entire unit.

It is possible to replace the power supply unit and save your recordings if that is the offending piece.
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

Protected By... spam firewall...And...