Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Some 72.5 markets finally gone on Dec 29th

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,149 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 01:41 PM

72.5 Signal
The 72.5 signal will cease in the following markets ( Burlington , VT – Plattsburgh , NY ; Lincoln – Hastings , NE and Waco – Temple – Bryan , TX )
on December 29. Customers in these DMAs require a KaKu ODU and MPEG 4 receivers to receive their local channels.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,942 posts
  • LocationOutside Portland, ME

Posted 28 December 2009 - 03:12 PM

So after tomorrow, what will actually be left on 72.5?

#3 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 03:56 PM

A fair number (15-20) markets still to be transitioned in the 2010-11 timeframe.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#4 OFFLINE   Matman

Matman

Legend

• Registered
  • 238 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 06:13 PM

Be interesting to be a fly on the wall and hear how many freak out when the locals go off as they didn't make the switch. D* has been pretty agressively pushing the "You will soon need new equip" for about a year now, but I wonder how many it will take a dark screen to make them notice.
For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.
~Leonardo da Vinci

#5 OFFLINE   Jtaylor1

Jtaylor1

Legend

• Registered
  • 193 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 11:12 PM

A fair number (15-20) markets still to be transitioned in the 2010-11 timeframe.

When will the Macon locals WMAZ, WGXA, WMUM, and WMGT start transitioning to D11?

#6 OFFLINE   rbird

rbird

AllStar

• Registered
  • 55 posts
  • LocationCenterville, GA

Posted 29 December 2009 - 06:28 AM

When will the Macon locals WMAZ, WGXA, WMUM, and WMGT start transitioning to D11?

I am not sure, but I am sure that we will hear about it long before it happens. What equipment deals are they giving for transitioning markets?

#7 OFFLINE   Newshawk

Newshawk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 09:02 AM

Look here. The remaining 72.5 markets are in yellow:
http://members.cox.n...V_LIL_CITY.html

BTW, if you go to the DMA page, the effect is mmore pronounced:
http://members.cox.n...TV_LIL_DMA.html

DIRECTV employee April 2004-November 2012.
The above comments are my own because I don't know if anyone would care about my opinions anymore.

#8 OFFLINE   KSbugeater

KSbugeater

Godfather

• Registered
  • 309 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 11:09 AM

I am not sure, but I am sure that we will hear about it long before it happens. What equipment deals are they giving for transitioning markets?

HR20s for HR10s
HR21/22s for R10s or other non-MPEG4 DVRs
similar for non-DVRs
free dish swap

no commitment extension

They treat you right.

#9 OFFLINE   Jtaylor1

Jtaylor1

Legend

• Registered
  • 193 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 01:53 PM

HR20s for HR10s
HR21/22s for R10s or other non-MPEG4 DVRs
similar for non-DVRs
free dish swap

no commitment extension

They treat you right.

That's very good to hear. But what about the D12s?

#10 OFFLINE   dishrich

dishrich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 02:36 PM

That's very good to hear. But what about the D12s?

All SD basic receivers (non-DVR) are replaced with H2x boxes.

HR20s for HR10s

Also, unless they happen to give refurbs, I highly doubt they will be using HR20's to replace HD Tivo's; they'll just use current HR2x units like they do now (either HR22 or HR23's)
If you complain nicely enough, they might comp you for an AM21...

Edited by dishrich, 29 December 2009 - 02:46 PM.

#11 OFFLINE   KSbugeater

KSbugeater

Godfather

• Registered
  • 309 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 11:19 AM

Also, unless they happen to give refurbs, I highly doubt they will be using HR20's to replace HD Tivo's; they'll just use current HR2x units like they do now (either HR22 or HR23's)
If you complain nicely enough, they might comp you for an AM21...

I think they replaced my HR10 with an HR20-100 specifically because I had off-air tuning capability in the HR10. YMMV.

#12 OFFLINE   dishrich

dishrich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 12:00 PM

I think they replaced my HR10 with an HR20-100 specifically because I had off-air tuning capability in the HR10. YMMV.

But how long ago WAS that when they replaced it???
Again, the HR20's have NOT been manufactured for almost a couple years, so the only ones that would be in D*'s pipeline (if they have ANY) are going to be refurbed...

#13 OFFLINE   muledoggie

muledoggie

AllStar/Supporter

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 03:00 PM

I'm a former subscriber to D* who is about to rejoing when the TIvo boxes come back. I live in Bryan/College Station. What does this 72.5 change mean to me?

Sorry to be ignorant =)

Jeff
--

GO Mavs, Rangers, Stars, Cowboys, Aggies
Hello to friends of Bill W.

#14 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,028 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 30 December 2009 - 03:05 PM

I'm a former subscriber to D* who is about to rejoing when the TIvo boxes come back. I live in Bryan/College Station. What does this 72.5 change mean to me?

Sorry to be ignorant =)

Jeff

It means that unless you want some international programming all you'll need is one dish, not two which you needed with 72.5. Also, if you have any old receivers you're planning to reuse, unless they're MPEG4 units you won't be able to receive your locals.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#15 OFFLINE   Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner

Icon

• Registered
  • 680 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 03:27 PM

Sorry to be ignorant =)

Jeff

Don't hold your breath on new Tivo boxes for DirecTV. The date keeps getting pushed back and many of us suspect it will never happen.

If you haven't tried the newest DirecTV DVRs then you're missing out. They are lightyears ahead of where the Tivo boxes were and they keep getting better. I would never go back to Tivo.
Sony 34" HD-CRT KD34XBR970 and Sceptre 40" LCD
Roku
R22 DVR / HR20-700 HD DVR
DirecTV since 1999
Waco/Temple/Bryan DMA

#16 OFFLINE   djrobx

djrobx

Godfather

• Registered
  • 503 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 08:39 PM

Don't hold your breath on new Tivo boxes for DirecTV. The date keeps getting pushed back and many of us suspect it will never happen.

If you haven't tried the newest DirecTV DVRs then you're missing out. They are lightyears ahead of where the Tivo boxes were and they keep getting better. I would never go back to Tivo.

Light years ahead? I don't think I'd go that far. I cant think of a lot of things that they do better than TiVo. Some things are different, of course.

On the other hand, the HR2x DVRs do most everything TiVo does, to a point where I"m certainly not salivating over having TiVo, nor would I consider paying extra for it.

TiVo had an awesome Version 2, but I think their platform went pretty stagnant after that. Too much focus on things I don't care about, and their only innovations seemed to be in the form of new way to push ads. God forbid they fix the 30+ second delays after changing the season pass order.

#17 OFFLINE   KSbugeater

KSbugeater

Godfather

• Registered
  • 309 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 12:25 PM

But how long ago WAS that when they replaced it???

About a month ago, no more than 2. It might be a refurb, but it is an HR20-100. Maybe they've saved some back for replacing HR10s.

#18 OFFLINE   GodricVT

GodricVT

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 02:50 PM

Be interesting to be a fly on the wall and hear how many freak out when the locals go off as they didn't make the switch. D* has been pretty agressively pushing the "You will soon need new equip" for about a year now, but I wonder how many it will take a dark screen to make them notice.

I guess I'm one of those people (in the Burlington, VT area). I've heard absolutely nothing from D* about this and I've spent the last two days trying to figure out why I wasn't getting any signal from 110 and 119. I assume this is it?

How exactly has D* been publicizing this? I'm generally not completely oblivious, but I suppose I could have missed it. It doesn't help that this happened at the same time as 119 went down and we had a big snowstorm, so I chased several red herrings before finding this thread.

So...what do I need to do? Looks like I already have an H20. What else?

#19 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 03:28 PM

I guess I'm one of those people (in the Burlington, VT area). I've heard absolutely nothing from D* about this and I've spent the last two days trying to figure out why I wasn't getting any signal from 110 and 119. I assume this is it?

How exactly has D* been publicizing this? I'm generally not completely oblivious, but I suppose I could have missed it. It doesn't help that this happened at the same time as 119 went down and we had a big snowstorm, so I chased several red herrings before finding this thread.

For local channels only at former 72.5 slot, now at 99/103 slot....

Multiple letters, emails, phone calls (both robotic and live agent), directv.com, plus on screen slides in you guide. D* has been been communicating to customers about this for about 8 months. The final "last chance" letter hit homes about 15 days ago for the last few folks that hadn't made the switch yet.

http://support.direc...t/kw/localswap/

You need to call and you will be swapped out for free. If you just need receivers, they will send you those. If you need a dish, also, then they will need to schedule an installation.

Edited by Satelliteracer, 31 December 2009 - 04:40 PM.

#20 OFFLINE   dishrich

dishrich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 04:32 PM

II've heard absolutely nothing from D* about this and I've spent the last two days trying to figure out why I wasn't getting any signal from 110 and 119. I assume this is it?

This swap has nothing to do with 110 or 119 - what prog are you getting on them now? Assuming you have a slimline to go with your H20, unless you have a spanish or chinese prog pkg, 119 should be a non-issue for you. And, NOT everyone with a slimline CAN get 110/119 if you only have a slimline 3 - if you did not have the above prog I just mentioned, you normally only get a slimline 3 installed. (you would then get a slimline 5 otherwise)

If you already have a slimline as I mentioned above, & if this is the ONLY receiver you have, then there IS nothing to do - that's probably why you were NOT notified. What is the point of notifying subs that do NOT need anything changed if they are ready to go?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...