Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Two HR2x DVRs with Remote?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   wcannon

wcannon

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 03:18 AM

How do I configure HR2x DVRs so I can control two separate DVRs with a remote. Currently, any remove function operates BOTH DVRs, and I cannot find any way to reconfigure either DVR (HR20-700 & HR21-200) to use a different set of codes. For example, I would be happy programming one DVR on the DirecTV remote's DVR switch position, and one on the remote's AV1 switch position.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   mcbeevee

mcbeevee

97% Complete

• Registered
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 06:49 AM

If you are using the remote in IR mode (factory default), just place something like a piece of cardboard in front of the IR sensor on one HR2x while you configure the other one to the DTV button. Then swap the cardboard to the other HR2x and configure the other HR2x to the AV1 button.

:)

#3 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,228 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 29 December 2009 - 09:33 AM

How do I configure HR2x DVRs so I can control two separate DVRs with a remote. Currently, any remove function operates BOTH DVRs, and I cannot find any way to reconfigure either DVR (HR20-700 & HR21-200) to use a different set of codes. For example, I would be happy programming one DVR on the DirecTV remote's DVR switch position, and one on the remote's AV1 switch position.

As noted, you need to cover one of the two sensors (or use front panel controls) to switch one of the two units to the AV1/AV2 option. Follow the on-screen instructions for programming the remote itself. The AV1 (or AV2 as applicable) position on the remote must be programmed to the 00003 code (which the on-screen instructions should tell you how to do).

#4 OFFLINE   dishrich

dishrich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 09:49 AM

The AV1 (or AV2 as applicable) position on the remote must be programmed to the 00003 code (which the on-screen instructions should tell you how to do).

You can use ANY code 1-8 on any position, which the instuctions now tell you - as long as you use a unique code for each receiver, that's all that matters.

#5 OFFLINE   wcannon

wcannon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 03:29 AM

Just to close the loop on this question:
-- Several folk at D* tech support, including a supervisor suggested that you simply programmed the remote's AV1 position with the other DVR unplugged or covered with cardboard, and that the DVR adapted. Not true, in both the AV1 and the DirecTV switch positions, the remote simultaneously controls both HR2x DVRs.
-- Someone else suggested that you could use any remote code from 00001 through 00008. I found that both of my DVRs only responded to 00001, no matter what I attempted (above) to coax them to change.

However, there is an option in the DVR's online remote programming sequence that asks if you have two or more DVRs. For two DVRs, it automatically took care of things -- I suspect changing the receiver's code and the remote's code to 00002-00008 as mentioned earlier, though no new code needed to be entered. For three or more DVRs, it provided a link to a procedure that I didn't follow.

Thanks for the support.

#6 OFFLINE   mcbeevee

mcbeevee

97% Complete

• Registered
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 08:12 AM

So does this mean your problem is solved, or is it still happening? From my experience, the info you get on this board is much more reliable than what you get from a CSR. The only way to prevent both dvr's from responding to code 00001 is to cover the IR sensor (or power down, which seems like overkill) on one of the dvr's.

:)

#7 OFFLINE   wcannon

wcannon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 03:28 AM

The problem is solved. Neither the information from tech support or from this forum worked -- including covering the IR sensor (or pulling the power plug) and changing from 00001 to 0000x with the remote. However, when the optional path for two or more DVRs through the DVR's online remote-control setup was followed (which I had not seen earlier), everything worked perfectly. I did have the other DVR incapacitated at the time.

I tried all of the codes from 00001 to 00008 with both DVRs, but neither responded to anything other than 00001. However, following the multi-DVR instructions from the DVR most probably changed both the DVR code and the corresponding code for the remote-control AV1 (or AV2). I have not attempted to verify the code change and the new value, but would be happy to do so if someone knows how to query it.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...