Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

NFL Red Zone

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Moosestache

Moosestache

AllStar

• Registered
  • 84 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 05:03 AM

Any word on whether or not Directv plans to add this channel?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   tgater

tgater

Godfather

• Registered
  • 266 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 06:32 AM

It's part of the NFLST.

#3 OFFLINE   MountainMan10

MountainMan10

Icon

• Registered
  • 606 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 06:50 AM

:beatdeadhorse:

D* will not add the channel from the NFL network as they have a competing channel of their own.

#4 OFFLINE   Moosestache

Moosestache

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 84 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 07:08 AM

It's part of the NFLST.

So I have to buy the Sunday Ticket for $250 or so to get something then pay an additional $99 for Super Fan to get red zone which is included in a $5 sports package on another satellite system, or for free on comcast.

I'm new here but that seems odd.

#5 OFFLINE   Big Dawg 23

Big Dawg 23

AllStar

• Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 07:17 AM

So I have to buy the Sunday Ticket for $250 or so to get something then pay an additional $99 for Super Fan to get red zone which is included in a $5 sports package on another satellite system, or for free on comcast.

That's how it goes. There is no other option and I don't see it changing.

#6 OFFLINE   Moosestache

Moosestache

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 84 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 07:19 AM

I guess I could always make my buddies bring the beer on Sundays and watch the games at my house. It wouldn't take too long to make that a winning proposition.

#7 OFFLINE   Jersey Girl

Jersey Girl

Legend

• Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 07:44 AM

You can always switch to the other satellite system or comcast if that works better for you. ;)

#8 OFFLINE   Moosestache

Moosestache

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 84 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 07:54 AM

You can always switch to the other satellite system or comcast if that works better for you. ;)

Wow thanks! Actually I can't switch to comcast.

#9 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 02:10 PM

Unfortunately, as others have mentioned its doubtful that D* will ever carry the NFLN version of RZ. It would cannibalize their NFL ST subscriptions, since many subscribers get it mainly for the RZ channel. They sure don't want to give up $399 for NFLST + SF, for the NFLN RZ @ $5/mo.
HR34-700, HR22-100

#10 OFFLINE   ThePrisoner

ThePrisoner

Legend

• Registered
  • 117 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 02:30 PM

I like Red Zone at half-time or if the Packers aren't playing. I'd rather have every Packers game than just Red Zone though.

#11 OFFLINE   Moosestache

Moosestache

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 84 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 03:40 PM

I like Red Zone at half-time or if the Packers aren't playing. I'd rather have every Packers game than just Red Zone though.

The super fan stuff looks amazing.

#12 OFFLINE   njblackberry

njblackberry

Icon

• Registered
  • 653 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 04:06 PM

Unfortunately, as others have mentioned its doubtful that D* will ever carry the NFLN version of RZ. It would cannibalize their NFL ST subscriptions, since many subscribers get it mainly for the RZ channel. They sure don't want to give up $399 for NFLST + SF, for the NFLN RZ @ $5/mo.

Many subscribers get the NFL ST just for the Red Zone Channel?

#13 OFFLINE   Moosestache

Moosestache

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 84 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 06:28 PM

Many subscribers get the NFL ST just for the Red Zone Channel?

Nope, but I bet some subscribers who currently get the NFL ST would think pretty hard about paying all the money to get it when they could have the Red Zone instead.

#14 OFFLINE   njblackberry

njblackberry

Icon

• Registered
  • 653 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 06:39 PM

I'll take that bet.
Red Zone Channel is icing on the cake, but not the cake itself.

I have NFL ST for the games, not for RZC or player stats.

#15 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 08:09 PM

Nope, but I bet some subscribers who currently get the NFL ST would think pretty hard about paying all the money to get it when they could have the Red Zone instead.

I may have misled you by saying many. I didn't mean the majority of subscribers, but a certain percentage. There was a poll done on this forum and it was around 10% of the subscribers that get NFLST for RZ. I personally get NFLST to see my favorite team, since I'm a transplant. Hardly ever watch RZ channel and actually watch the Mix channel more often.
HR34-700, HR22-100

#16 OFFLINE   GreatPig

GreatPig

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 08:39 PM

I never watch RZ. I'd rather switch between the games. BUT I'd watch the Mix channel most of the time if they didn't waste so much real estate with borders.

As a Cowboys fan in south Alabama as long as D* is the only source for NFL ST, I'm a customer.

#17 OFFLINE   dave29

dave29

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,825 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 08:43 PM

I'll take that bet.
Red Zone Channel is icing on the cake, but not the cake itself.

I have NFL ST for the games, not for RZC or player stats.

Cake isn't any good without the icing though. :)
HR34-700, HR24-500, HR22-100, HR20-100, R22-100, R16

My Setup

Diagram of my Directv setup by Milkman

#18 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,841 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 30 December 2009 - 08:50 PM

I may have misled you by saying many. I didn't mean the majority of subscribers, but a certain percentage. There was a poll done on this forum and it was around 10% of the subscribers that get NFLST for RZ. I personally get NFLST to see my favorite team, since I'm a transplant. Hardly ever watch RZ channel and actually watch the Mix channel more often.

Ahh, my first poll: http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=164805
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#19 OFFLINE   chevyguy559

chevyguy559

Fresno State Bulldog!

• Registered
  • 706 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 30 December 2009 - 11:44 PM

What I'm hoping happens next season is DirecTV will offer thier RZC A La Carte for $75-$100 for the season.....bottom line is I'm not going to be a ST subscriber next season and I'll be at 22 months of my commitment so if they don't offer an alternative to NFL RedZone that doesn't cost more than $100, I'll gladly pay them the $40 ETF, return my 6 boxes, and call another provider :)

DirecTV Subscriber Since 11/2008
Choice Ultimate - HD Extra - RZC
(2) HR22-100
(1) HR22-100 (Owned)
(1) HR21-100 (Owned)

#20 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 06:35 AM

Not to split hairs but it's about 30% of people who subscribe to NFLST. It was about 10% of the people who took the poll. Now granted that's a very small sample size and not really quantifiable.

With the success of the RZC for other carriers I think there will be some changes next year. Including what other companies pay for that channel. NFL was smart with how they did it this year. They got a ton of people hooked on it. I could see them charging up to 25 a month just for this channel. Fans have already proven that we'll spend tons of money to watch our football.

spam firewall