Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

NFL Red Zone

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 07:59 AM

Not to split hairs but it's about 30% of people who subscribe to NFLST. It was about 10% of the people who took the poll. Now granted that's a very small sample size and not really quantifiable.

With the success of the RZC for other carriers I think there will be some changes next year. Including what other companies pay for that channel. NFL was smart with how they did it this year. They got a ton of people hooked on it. I could see them charging up to 25 a month just for this channel. Fans have already proven that we'll spend tons of money to watch our football.

Not sure where you were able to come up with 30%. :scratchin. Maybe I missed something? If we want to spit hairs, I was actually off a bit. Based on the poll about 14.5% of the NFL ST subscribers get it for RZ channel (29/201).

Ahh, my first poll: http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=164805

And for Sigma1914, I hope it was as good as you imagined.

Edited by RACJ2, 31 December 2009 - 12:41 PM.

HR34-700, HR22-100

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   lflorack

lflorack

Godfather

• Registered
  • 472 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 09:15 AM

Red Zone Channel is icing on the cake, but not the cake itself.

I have NFL ST for the games, not for RZC or player stats.

I'm sure not everyone sees this the same way but I agree with this completely. My viewing order of precedence is:
  • Watch one of my favorite teams
  • Watch the best of any other game(s)
  • Watch the RedZone Channel if neither of the above is true or I can't decide which game to watch

Links: My System Diagram / System Pix
Yamaha: RX-A2010, Samsung: UN55B8000, Oppo; BDP-93,,Yamaha: CDC-685
Klipsch: (2) RF-83, (1) RC-64, (2) RVX-54, (2) RSX-5, SVS: (1) SB13-Ultra
AppleTV, Roku3, Amazon: FireStick, ACP: J15BLK 1.5 kVA Power Conditioner/UPS
See links above for additional system details.

#23 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,117 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 31 December 2009 - 12:09 PM

And for Sima1914, I hope it was as good as you imagined.

:lol: It was AWESOME!
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#24 OFFLINE   pappy97

pappy97

Icon

• No PM's
  • 611 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 01:52 PM

For me, Niner fan in DFW Area.

NFLST for me is:
1.) For niner games
and
2.) If niners are not playing, I watch RZC. I love RZC because you get football with no commercials. NFL has way too many tv timeouts (Field Goal -> TV Timeout -> Kickoff -> another TV timeout??? This happens a lot, not every time, but a lot). RZC eliminates a major beef I have with the NFL.

#25 OFFLINE   pappy97

pappy97

Icon

• No PM's
  • 611 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 01:57 PM

What I'm hoping happens next season is DirecTV will offer thier RZC A La Carte for $75-$100 for the season.....bottom line is I'm not going to be a ST subscriber next season and I'll be at 22 months of my commitment so if they don't offer an alternative to NFL RedZone that doesn't cost more than $100, I'll gladly pay them the $40 ETF, return my 6 boxes, and call another provider :)

I really do think this could happen. Like it has been discussed in this forum, it is likely that most people who throw down the serious cash for NFL ST are not doing it for the RZC only. They are doing it because they love football or they need to see their team and they don't live in the area anymore.

But DirecTV needs to realize that there are those people who won't sub to NFLST no matter what, but see Comcast offer RZC in its sports pack for $5/month or FIOS' $50/season and they will switch.

DirecTV should thus offer the option of its RZC only. If you don't live in the market of your favorite team, you are still getting NFL ST. If you love NFL sundays so much you want to flip between games at your own leisure, you are still getting NFL ST. Offering RZC only is an attractive option to those DirecTV customers who will never get NFL ST, meaning there is an opportunity for another cash grab and DirecTV won't pass it up.

#26 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 02:03 PM

I hope they do offer RZ w/o NFL ST next year for $100. Then add HD to the regular NFL ST package for the current package price. It would save me $100 or keep me from having to call for a credit.
HR34-700, HR22-100

#27 OFFLINE   Lodi25

Lodi25

Legend

• Registered
  • 136 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 04:03 PM

You can watch it here!

http://p2p4u.net/wat...id=10644&link=1

#28 ONLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,632 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 03:31 PM

i hope they do offer rz w/o nfl st next year for $100. Then add hd to the regular nfl st package for the current package price. It would save me $100 or keep me from having to call for a credit.

not gonna happen!

#29 OFFLINE   BK89

BK89

Legend

• Registered
  • 163 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 04:29 PM

What I'm hoping happens next season is DirecTV will offer thier RZC A La Carte for $75-$100 for the season.....bottom line is I'm not going to be a ST subscriber next season and I'll be at 22 months of my commitment so if they don't offer an alternative to NFL RedZone that doesn't cost more than $100, I'll gladly pay them the $40 ETF, return my 6 boxes, and call another provider :)

They better offer a comparable option to what their competitors now provide. There is no way I can justify paying that much more for football when there are other options available to me now. I pretty much just watch RZC on sundays (I live in my teams market).

#30 OFFLINE   BK89

BK89

Legend

• Registered
  • 163 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 04:30 PM

not gonna happen!

Well - if so then they will not be getting any extra cash out of me for football next year. Will be watching RZC by "other means". :sure:

#31 OFFLINE   dcowboy7

dcowboy7

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,650 posts
  • LocationPequannock, NJ

Posted 04 January 2010 - 04:45 PM

Directv says go ahead & leave. :lol:

#32 OFFLINE   pappy97

pappy97

Icon

• No PM's
  • 611 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 04:46 PM

not gonna happen!

If you mean they won't offer HD as part of the regular package, I do agree but as I said earlier and explained my reasoning, I do think an RZC only deal is coming to DirecTV.

As I said before, most people with NFLST won't be downgrading because they need NFLST for their team or they just love the sport that much. Offering RZC for $100/season is for those who won't sub to NFLST and won't even consider it, but are considering leaving DirecTV for DISH, Cable, FIOS, etc. To keep those people, and to get more money off them, I think DirecTV could very well offer RZC only for $100/season.
My setup (TV + DirecTV):
Master Bedroom: LG 32" 120hz LCD TV, GENIE Client
Living room: Samsung 46" 120hz LED LCD TV 7000 series, GENIE Master
Dedicated HT: Epson 8700UB projector with 150" 16:9 painted on screen and 180" 2.4:1 painted on screen, HD-DVR (HR22), Denon AVR-890, Klipsch Icon Front Speakers, Center Speaker, and Klipsch Icon Floorstanders for side and rear speakers (6 total floorstanders), subwoofer is BIC America V-1220 12" down-firing sub

#33 OFFLINE   Moosestache

Moosestache

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 84 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 06:40 AM

I would pay $100 for a redzone package, I will not pay $300 for ST, the only team I really care about is the local team. Directv has the chance of making $100 off me by offering a redzone package, vs getting nothing by not offering it. Their accountants have to decide how many people would stop getting ST if they offered the redzone a-la-cart, vs how many people would pony up $100 to get the redzone package. Added to that would be the loss or gain of subscribers they would get by either offering or not offering redzone, when some of their competition is now offering it. I'm sure it just ends up being a numbers game for them, my guess is they will offer it eventually but we will see next fall.

#34 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 03:34 PM

I just found this on the DirecTV Web site:

While other providers are now offering The Red Zone Channel from The NFL Network, they will not be able to offer coverage of all NFL games in their entirety. The Red Zone Channel from the NFL Network will only show highlights of games and will only be available in select programming packages.

Link: http://support.direc...etail/a_id/1646

WHAT SELECT PROGRAMMING PACKAGES IS THIS OFFERED IN?

#35 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,243 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 05:06 PM

I just found this on the DirecTV Web site:

That is from last year.

Next year likely still is TBA on all parts of NFL redzone and Direct red zone.

the Cable one may go up in price just like ST does.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#36 OFFLINE   DawgLink

DawgLink

Woof Woof Woof

• Registered
  • 1,543 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 13 February 2010 - 08:55 PM

I hope they do offer RZ w/o NFL ST next year for $100. Then add HD to the regular NFL ST package for the current package price. It would save me $100 or keep me from having to call for a credit.

For me, I have DirecTV because I want Sunday Ticket (due to living states away from where my team is).....

But I do agree that just offering RZ would be a hit for many....just as I thought I remember reading that RZ was a hit on FiOS sub wise. Could be wrong on that though....

Financially though, I can see why D* wouldn't do it...they want everyone buying the entire package

#37 OFFLINE   chevyguy559

chevyguy559

Fresno State Bulldog!

• Registered
  • 712 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 14 February 2010 - 12:45 AM

Financially though, I can see why D* wouldn't do it...they want everyone buying the entire package

But with the NFL ST price increase as well as the tough economic times, there's going to be plenty of people dropping ST.....why not get some $$ out of them by offering either ST's RZC or NFL Red Zone for $100 for the season ;)

DirecTV Subscriber Since 11/2008
Choice Ultimate - HD Extra - RZC
(2) HR22-100
(1) HR22-100 (Owned)
(1) HR21-100 (Owned)

#38 OFFLINE   pappy97

pappy97

Icon

• No PM's
  • 611 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 01:00 AM

But with the NFL ST price increase as well as the tough economic times, there's going to be plenty of people dropping ST.....why not get some $$ out of them by offering either ST's RZC or NFL Red Zone for $100 for the season ;)

Exactly. Like I've said many times, most people who will keep NFLST are not going to drop down to NFL Red Zone only. After all, NOBODY pays the ridiculous amount for NFL ST only for the Red Zone Channel. Offering RZC only is a great way to keep people from switching who are currently NON-NFLST subs, will never be NFLST subs, but see that cable/FIOS/U-Verse/DISH offer RZC only at a very affordable price.
My setup (TV + DirecTV):
Master Bedroom: LG 32" 120hz LCD TV, GENIE Client
Living room: Samsung 46" 120hz LED LCD TV 7000 series, GENIE Master
Dedicated HT: Epson 8700UB projector with 150" 16:9 painted on screen and 180" 2.4:1 painted on screen, HD-DVR (HR22), Denon AVR-890, Klipsch Icon Front Speakers, Center Speaker, and Klipsch Icon Floorstanders for side and rear speakers (6 total floorstanders), subwoofer is BIC America V-1220 12" down-firing sub

#39 OFFLINE   trainman

trainman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,495 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted 14 February 2010 - 03:40 PM

Because it's a comparison between DirecTV's entire Sunday Ticket package and what's available on cable/Dish Network, what it's saying is "the NFL Network's version of the Red Zone Channel is only offered in select programming packages on cable and Dish Network, so watch out if you're thinking of switching programming providers in order to get it -- and, by the way, they can't offer out-of-market games in their entirety the way Sunday Ticket does."
trainman is Jim Ellwanger

HR34-700 | Linksys WGA-600N | Samsung 46" LCD | Slimline-5 dish

#40 OFFLINE   DawgLink

DawgLink

Woof Woof Woof

• Registered
  • 1,543 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 14 February 2010 - 08:12 PM

I agree. I think DirecTV would see a significant increase in them.

But then again, they would need 4 RZ-only people to match 1 full paying package buyer.....and their train of thought may be that they could get more overall money with the full package only.

I could be wrong though....

Protected By... spam firewall...And...