Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Gaming Adapter Questions

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,723 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 08:18 PM

I have a PS3 that I have hooked up wirelessly via my Apple Airport Extreme. Right now I'm getting very slow download speeds on demos, etc and streaming via Netflix is also a pain in the you know where. That being said I'm looking into a Gaming Adapter for the PS3. Which are ones some of you are using? Also do any of you have any experience with this one?

http://www.amazon.co...A/dp/B0024G48VA

Happy New Year!!
Dan
Dan Sholtis
"The Raiders will be back. I have unshakable confidence, the will to win, and I just know that the fire that burns brightest in this building is the will to win. And we will win. We will win."---Al Davis. Rest In Peace, Al

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,461 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 31 December 2009 - 08:50 PM

Forgive me for being a bit confused... but since the PS3 has both ethernet and b/g WiFi built in... you shouldn't need anything else except your normal config.

Or are you looking to replace your Airport with a new router?

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#3 OFFLINE   dave29

dave29

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,825 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 08:57 PM

Hardwire it.......
HR34-700, HR24-500, HR22-100, HR20-100, R22-100, R16

My Setup

Diagram of my Directv setup by Milkman

#4 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,723 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 09:14 PM

Forgive me for being a bit confused... but since the PS3 has both ethernet and b/g WiFi built in... you shouldn't need anything else except your normal config.

Or are you looking to replace your Airport with a new router?

Looking to extend the network to hopefully get some better performance. Hard wiring is impossible the router is in a different room. Should also say I'm looking to one of these in order to get the Wireless-N performance to the PS3.

Edited by DCSholtis, 31 December 2009 - 09:36 PM.

Dan Sholtis
"The Raiders will be back. I have unshakable confidence, the will to win, and I just know that the fire that burns brightest in this building is the will to win. And we will win. We will win."---Al Davis. Rest In Peace, Al

#5 OFFLINE   Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,081 posts
  • LocationA Galaxy Far, Far Away.....

Posted 01 January 2010 - 12:25 AM

Looking to extend the network to hopefully get some better performance. Hard wiring is impossible the router is in a different room. Should also say I'm looking to one of these in order to get the Wireless-N performance to the PS3.

Well if you router is in a different room; it is NOT impossible to wire. It maybe however that you don't want to crawl though the attic and or basement to do the install.

In that case, another alternative is to buy a 200Mbps powerline adapter kit. This would also be considered a hardwired line with the only exception being that the ethernet signal is piggy backed on your existing romax/power lines.

A variety of manufacturers including netgear, dlink & linksys (just to name a few) have a variety of such products avalable at your local retail store such as bestbuy.

#6 OFFLINE   Alebob911

Alebob911

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,576 posts
  • LocationCERES,CA

Posted 01 January 2010 - 01:26 AM

Go with the linksys WET610N. I use this for my hr22 and ps3 and it works flawless for both items. Make sure to have the latest firmware to acheive optimal performance. Stay away from powerline adaptors if possible. I've tried netgear ones and they do not compare to the WET610N and oh yeah it is directly supported by the HR2x series.

#7 OFFLINE   kevinwmsn

kevinwmsn

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 06:16 PM

Other thoughts. Maybe you have a poor wireless signal in the room in question. If possible try testing speeds with a laptop in there. Make sure you're using WPA and WEP for your wireless. What is your intenet speed? Were these at times when other people in the household are using the internet? I got 3 meg dsl and some demos are slow because of size and also time of day. On your netflix, are you picking HD or SD versions of a movie? Make sure that other folks aren't leaching off of your wireless router.
my setup here

#8 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,723 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 10:40 PM

I'm using WPA/WPA2 for my wireless and I too have the 3meg DSL but I upgraded to the 6mbps Elite package which takes effect Tuesday afternoon. My speed on my laptop is just about 2.5 megs but the PS3 is under 1meg most times. This is at night and I'm the only one online. I have my firewall up as well. Though I have tried it with both my firewall on and off for the PS3 and as funny as it sounds the speed seems faster with the firewall off. The PS3 claims it is getting 100% signal strength. I'm going to try and see what the bump up in DSL speeds does before making a decision on if a gaming adapter is really needed. Thanks everyone.

Edited by DCSholtis, 02 January 2010 - 08:20 PM.

Dan Sholtis

#9 OFFLINE   nn8l

nn8l

Legend

• Registered
  • 184 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 12:13 PM

Its common for d/l's to be pretty pokey on the Playstation Network.

#10 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,723 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 03:09 PM

Other thoughts. Maybe you have a poor wireless signal in the room in question. If possible try testing speeds with a laptop in there. Make sure you're using WPA and WEP for your wireless. What is your intenet speed? Were these at times when other people in the household are using the internet? I got 3 meg dsl and some demos are slow because of size and also time of day. On your netflix, are you picking HD or SD versions of a movie? Make sure that other folks aren't leaching off of your wireless router.

Right now after my DSL bump up my laptop is running about 5.2 megs on average, PS3 on average about half that 2.5. This is when the laptop is on but idling. Router is in the same room and the PS3 is showing 100% signal strength. Something does not seem to compute though. I'm using WPA2 security and firewall is on. Alebob911 I'll look into that linksys and try to decide after I do some troubleshooting first.
Dan Sholtis

#11 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,723 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 01:02 PM

Got that TrendNet unit a few days ago. Works great now I have consistent speed on both my home network and my PS3 enabling me now to stream Netflix in HD.
Dan Sholtis

spam firewall