Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Needless $5 local charge?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   tulsarick

tulsarick

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 09:30 AM

I`ve ordered install with a 722K with an OTA module utilizing my antenna. If I`m using my antenna to get locals do I need to pay the extra $5 monthly fee to get my locals?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,739 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 01 January 2010 - 10:34 AM

If you're getting your locals off your antenna - no.

If you want EPG (program guide) data - yes.
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#3 OFFLINE   tulsarick

tulsarick

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 12:21 PM

Can you still use the DVR to record locals if you don`t pay the extra $5. I`m assuming not.

#4 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 12:45 PM

Yes you can, but you have to set manual timers since there will not be any program info in the guide, all ota channels will show "Digital Service".

Also note: using bold letter indicates yelling. Many people will take offense if you continue to post as such.

#5 OFFLINE   tulsarick

tulsarick

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 12:56 PM

Thanks for the info. I thought all caps indicated yelling?

#6 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,739 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 01 January 2010 - 01:04 PM

Either.

#7 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,584 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 01 January 2010 - 03:09 PM

What about bolded caps? :)

But seriously...

Manual timers can be tedious if you had to use them all the time... plus, if you subscribe to locals via SAT that would give you the most simultaneous recording options on a 722K since you could use 2 OTA tuners and 2 SAT tuners... so you have the potential to record 4 simultaneous programs from your local stations at the same time.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#8 OFFLINE   tlowecats

tlowecats

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 06:02 PM

My ota locals do display guide data in lexington, kentucky. I just recently started using the ota locals and was considering dropping the dish locals and the additional cost. I haven't recorded anything on them yet, so I can't speak on that.

#9 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,584 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 01 January 2010 - 11:42 PM

If you drop those Dish locals, then you will lose that EPG data for your OTA ones.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#10 OFFLINE   tlowecats

tlowecats

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 08:47 AM

If you drop those Dish locals, then you will lose that EPG data for your OTA ones.

Thanks for the info. I did not know that.

#11 OFFLINE   tulsarick

tulsarick

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 10:18 AM

With the 722K do you use your own antenna to get locals plus receive your locals by satellite? My install is this coming Monday.I hope it`s ok to post using a different color.

#12 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,739 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 02 January 2010 - 10:23 AM

Why do you feel you must emphasize my question ?

The locals via Dish will come over the Dish. Your OTA locals will come over an antenna YOU provide (you may be able to work out an arraingement with the installer that he puts it in for some additional money).

#13 OFFLINE   tulsarick

tulsarick

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 10:33 AM

I have an antenna already installed with coax run to each TV. What I don`t understand is if you`re paying the extra $5 monthly to get locals what is the advantage of using your antenna also?

#14 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,668 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 02 January 2010 - 10:35 AM

With the 722K do you use your own antenna to get locals plus receive your locals by satellite?

With the ViP722K, you need an OTA module to be able to receive OTA at all. If you acquire(d) an OTA module, you'll absolutely need an external antenna to make use of it.

I hope it`s ok to post using a different color.

Consider not trying to embellish anything that doesn't absolutely demand it. It typically isn't considered cute, hip or helpful.

Upcasing, bolding, using large fonts, italicizing or coloring an entire post is analogous to highlighting every word in a book.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#15 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,668 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 02 January 2010 - 10:38 AM

What I don`t understand is if you`re paying the extra $5 monthly to get locals what is the advantage of using your antenna also?

DISH Network probably doesn't carry all of your available locals. OTA with a proper antenna will allow you to record those missing locals to your DVR as well as integrating them into your DVR so you don't have to switch back and forth between the TV tuner and the DVR.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#16 OFFLINE   tulsarick

tulsarick

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 10:40 AM

Thanks for the insights. Another query. How to utilize the VCR in conjustion with the DVR? There are times I`ll want to make a portable recording to transport.

#17 OFFLINE   coldsteel

coldsteel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 10:47 AM

Thanks for the insights. Another query. How to utilize the VCR in conjustion with the DVR? There are times I`ll want to make a portable recording to transport.

If you use HDMI to the TV1, use the associated RCA jacks to the VCR.
DISH 625 dvr

The opinions posted on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies or opinions. Unless I decide to be bad or call out an idiot...

#18 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,926 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 02:32 PM

Reasons to use OTA plus dish LIL's:

1. as previously mentioned you have up to 4 tuners available at one time

2. to get HD on those locals that are not carried in HD on Dish LIL (PBS, CW, MNTV etc.)

3. to get the subchannels that are not carried on Dish (THIS TV, RTV, ION Life etc.)

4. to get OOM (out of market) local stations that Dish cannot sell you but you can receive with an antenna. For example I get a second CBS & FOX station from Youngstown, Ohio which is 56 miles away. On some Sundays I get extra NFL games between the Cleveland and Youngstown stations. I do get guide data for the Youngstown stations but can only watch them OTA (the guide data comes from the satellite, not the OTA signal, even though the OTA signal carries it's own guide data that CECB's and other ATSC tuners can use).
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#19 OFFLINE   mastermtn

mastermtn

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 10:39 PM

Yes you can, but you have to set manual timers since there will not be any program info in the guide, all ota channels will show "Digital Service".

Also note: using bold letter indicates yelling. Many people will take offense if you continue to post as such.

Note Bene'

IMHO All caps is shouting, bold is just bold...no biggie...see netiquette

"Common characteristics

Common rules for e-mail[7] and USENET such as avoiding flamewars and spam are constant across most mediums and communities. Another rule is to avoid typing in all caps, which is considered to be the equivalent of shouting or yelling. Other commonly shared points, such as remembering that one's posts are (or can easily be made) public, are generally intuitively understood by publishers of web pages and posters to USENET, although this rule is somewhat flexible depending on the environment. On more private protocols, however, such as email and SMS, some users take the privacy of their posts for granted. One-on-one communications, such as private messages on chat forums and direct SMSes, may"

#20 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,668 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 13 January 2010 - 12:47 AM

IMHO All caps is shouting, bold is just bold...no biggie...see netiquette

As bolding isn't a feature of Usenet, Usenet netiquette doesn't speak to bolding.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...