Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Does PS3 play PS2 games

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jerry downing

jerry downing

Godfather

• Registered
  • 534 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 04 January 2010 - 03:14 PM

My daughters PS3 played all of her PS2 games. When it died and was replaced, the new unit will not play PS2 games. Is this fixable?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 03:36 PM

The original, 1st-Gen PS/3s could play PS/2 games. The 20GB version had software emulation that could play many of the games, and the 60GB verison had PS/2 hardware and could play nearly all of them, with the exception of those that required specific, custom PS/2 controllers.

This functionality was removed from the 2nd and 3rd-Gen PS/3s and the PS/3 Slim to reduce cost (and the prices were thus reduced) and because most folks with lots of PS/2 games still had PS/2s to play them on.

If you need to play PS/2 games, pick up a used PS/2 off of Craigslist or eBay cheap.

#3 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,703 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 04 January 2010 - 03:37 PM

Unfortunately, no.

The earliest PS3s (when first released) had hardware emulation.

Later, these models were phased out and software simulation was used for PS2 playability.

Ultimately, PS2 backwards compatibility was completely phased out.

You might be able to find some "old" PS3s still in stock somewhere OR find a used one... but the newer models on sale now do not have any way to play PS2 games. This is one way they have the cost down.

(Obviously BattleZone and I were posting at the same time!)

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#4 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,634 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 04 January 2010 - 04:00 PM

I think even the new PS3's will play PS1 games

#5 OFFLINE   jerry downing

jerry downing

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 534 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 04 January 2010 - 04:25 PM

Thank you. She can use her brother's PS2 for now.

#6 OFFLINE   CJTE

CJTE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 05:21 PM

As stated. The original 60GB PS3 had a hardware emulation chip that allowed it to play PS2 games.
The original 40GB and or 80GB (can't remember which) had software emulation that allowed it to play a broad selection of games (but not all games). I believe it was with the Spiderman edition of the PS3 40GB that the PS3's were no longer compatible with PS2 games. (I'm not certain on any of this as it's been quite a while since I checked).

There's a basic guideline for you to go by though.

#7 OFFLINE   fryguy503

fryguy503

Legend

• Registered
  • 159 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 03:03 PM

The original Gen 1 PS3 did play PS2 and a few PS1 games, but was remove due to Cost and because it was very easy to pirate and run ps2/1 games on it, the Hardware chip was called the "Emotion" chip.

#8 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 01 February 2010 - 12:01 PM

Here's a chart that outlines the compatibility of the different models based on serial number:

http://www.hardcorew...-3-model-guide/

Luckily I have the CECHE01 80GB model that does PS2 software emulation, Linux support, and SACD playback over HDMI....looks like the best model ever was the CECHA01, but you'll see they used to be $600 as well...

#9 OFFLINE   PTown

PTown

Legend

• Registered
  • 199 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 04:36 AM

Luckily I have the CECHE01 80GB model that does PS2 software emulation, Linux support, and SACD playback over HDMI....looks like the best model ever was the CECHA01, but you'll see they used to be $600 as well...

I was debating on the 80gb at the time I bought my PS3, luckily though I went with the 60gb (CECHA01) that was still in stock, and yes I paid the $600, worth it though now.

#10 OFFLINE   jwebb1970

jwebb1970

Legend

• Registered
  • 180 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 11:44 AM

A local GameStop had a couple of 1st gen PS3s used for sale recently. They were selling for almost as much as a new PS3 Slim. According to the GS employee - most people scoff & those prices, but those who are in the know will paytop $$ apparently.

But if you don't have a PS2 in your possession, you can get a new one for about half a song these days.....
"I'm really only an Atheist on Christmas and Easter. The rest of the time---it really doesn't matter." - Dr. House

Protected By... spam firewall...And...