Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

ESPN 3D To Launch June 11...

mrv coax swap

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   VARTV

VARTV

Godfather

• Registered
  • 441 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach, VA, USA

Posted 05 January 2010 - 06:40 AM

ESPN is going 3D. The venerable sports network will launch ESPN 3D on June 11 with a World Cup soccer match, creating what it says will be the first all three-dimensional television network to the home. (read more - USA Today)

Robert F Corbin
VARTV.com | Virginia Media News & Information

With DirecTV since October 2004. My complete setup on 1/1/2013...

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   mystic7

mystic7

Icon

• Banned User
  • 632 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 06:50 AM

Will part of ESPN's expenses be supplying actual viewers with 3-D HDTV's?

#3 OFFLINE   Smthkd

Smthkd

Icon

• Registered
  • 925 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 07:12 AM

I know these people are crazy! 3D is great and all but Im not going out to buy a new 3D capable HD set right after everyone begin making HD mainstream. Not going to happen!
Media/Family Room:
Panasonic TC-P65S1 Plasma , Toshiba XA2 (28 HD DVD's),Sony 60gig PS3 (80 Blu-Ray/16 Games), Onkyo 705, Infinity CC2, 4 Infinity RS5, 2 Infinity Overture 3,Velodyne DDS12, Directv HR20,Monster Power HTS2500 MKII, SlingBox ProHD
Master Bedroom:
Hitachi 55HDS69 Plasma, Sony STR-DA4ES, Toshiba A2, Directv - H21
Seating Room:
Panasonic 34" HDtv, Toshiba A2, Directv H21

#4 OFFLINE   liverpool

liverpool

Legend

• Registered
  • 163 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 07:14 AM

This TV technology is going to hit a huge wall this year when the industry realises that viewers do not want 3D tv.

#5 OFFLINE   ebaltz

ebaltz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 09:25 AM

How many "3d Ready" Tv's are actually out there?

Who is going to carry this channel actually? Unlikely anyone if it means the rates will go up. What will end up happening is that ESPN will try to strong arm providers into carrying the channel with their other channels and raise rates, then Charlie et al will say not at that price and have to drop ESPN altogether to prove a point etc. etc...
Dish HD w/ 1 Hopper and 3 Joey, PS3, Sony HN1000 Receiver and Sony Bravia HX800 3D TV

#6 OFFLINE   Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,081 posts
  • LocationA Galaxy Far, Far Away.....

Posted 05 January 2010 - 11:01 AM

How many "3d Ready" Tv's are actually out there?

Who is going to carry this channel actually? Unlikely anyone if it means the rates will go up. What will end up happening is that ESPN will try to strong arm providers into carrying the channel with their other channels and raise rates, then Charlie et al will say not at that price and have to drop ESPN altogether to prove a point etc. etc...

You will be surprised as there are several models from a variety of manufacturer's that are 3-D ready such as Mitsubishi, Phillips, LG & Panasonic just to name a few. There are many more brands that have already announced they are releasing models later this year. Sony has already announced its first 3D-compatible Bravia LCD TV, to arrive in 2010.

And to answer your question on who will carry the stations, most likely DirecTV as they have already announced thier launch of 3D programming later this year.

Edited by Yoda-DBSguy, 05 January 2010 - 11:21 AM.

#7 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,447 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 05 January 2010 - 04:00 PM

I have a Samsung HDTV that is 3D ready as well... but I don't have any glasses to watch.

I'm not sure that the market is ready for a channel... especially when this 3D channel will not be full-time 3D... kind of like how many years after the launch of ESPN and ESPN2 in HD, those channels are still not full-time HD channels.

So who is going to run out and spend lots of dollars for the occasional game in 3D on a single channel?

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#8 OFFLINE   lwilli201

lwilli201

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 08:19 PM

ESPN has never been shy about doing things first, so this does not supprise me. ESPN was first with the First and Ten lines on the football field and I believe they were first with the overhead camera on cables, at least on a regular basis. Now most football games are produced with both. Directv and ESPN may be working on this togeather since it is said that Directv is going to have a 3d channel.
1-HR21-100, 2-HR21-700, 1 w/eSATA, all networked, unsupported MRV. AT9 Dish(110 & 119 disabled) and SWM8.

#9 OFFLINE   lwilli201

lwilli201

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 08:45 PM

I have a Samsung HDTV that is 3D ready as well... but I don't have any glasses to watch.

I'm not sure that the market is ready for a channel... especially when this 3D channel will not be full-time 3D... kind of like how many years after the launch of ESPN and ESPN2 in HD, those channels are still not full-time HD channels.

So who is going to run out and spend lots of dollars for the occasional game in 3D on a single channel?

I remember when color TV came out. Very few people had Color TV's at the start and not all shows were in color. 3d TV will evolve just like every other technology advancement in the past. It was 10 years after color came out before I got my first color set.
1-HR21-100, 2-HR21-700, 1 w/eSATA, all networked, unsupported MRV. AT9 Dish(110 & 119 disabled) and SWM8.

#10 OFFLINE   sammib

sammib

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 05:58 PM

Stewart, you have crystallized my thoughts, succintly. This is the biggest crock of sh*t to come out this year. What a joke.

#11 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,017 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 14 February 2010 - 04:54 PM

Hopefully this will be a "premium" channel and not a forced channel for providers. I would not like my bill to increase for a channel that few will be able to take advantage of and only some that can will even care.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#12 OFFLINE   DawgLink

DawgLink

Woof Woof Woof

• Registered
  • 1,542 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 15 February 2010 - 12:07 AM

I just don't understand the appeal of this

Just give me solid HD for the games and I will be happy

#13 OFFLINE   cousinofjah

cousinofjah

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 05:14 PM

I remember when color TV came out. Very few people had Color TV's at the start and not all shows were in color. 3d TV will evolve just like every other technology advancement in the past. It was 10 years after color came out before I got my first color set.

But you didn't need special glasses to watch the color TV

#14 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 02:05 PM

I believe they were first with the overhead camera on cables, at least on a regular basis.

Actually, that was the XFL on NBC. It's the only good thing they did.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

spam firewall