Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Old directv System prices

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   pez2002

pez2002

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 15 September 2003 - 05:39 PM

i remember looking @ a News paper clipping from 1996 And it says Directv $499 And this was a one room system Now you can get a system for $99 @ best buy and curcit city And be Happy Boy How the price has come down I even seen some systems going for $49
Mike
http://www.myspace.com/wnnnnnnnbc

xm sub as of/12/31/05

howard stern on xm channels 100-101 :)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   pez2002

pez2002

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 15 September 2003 - 05:40 PM

Opps Move this to the directv Area
Mike

xm sub as of/12/31/05

#3 OFFLINE   paulh

paulh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 447 posts

Posted 17 September 2003 - 08:10 AM

Yep, initial cost is why I initially signed with Primestar in 96 or 97, I just paid for the installation (I think it was $100 or $150), and the equipment rental was part of the monthly fee. We were worried that buying such expensive equipment that it might break ...

#4 OFFLINE   Mike Richardson

Mike Richardson

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 17 September 2003 - 04:03 PM

I remember old TV infomercials selling a one room DirecTV receiver and a dish for $699.
Mike Richardson

#5 OFFLINE   elbyj

elbyj

Godfather

• Registered
  • 270 posts

Posted 17 September 2003 - 06:00 PM

I remember old TV infomercials selling a one room DirecTV receiver and a dish for $699.

Let me tell you a little story from May 4, 1995. We really got tired of all the outages and bad channels on our our cable, so we decided to switch to a BUD. However, the first sales person sold us a bill of goods telling us that we could have multiple receivers in the house and be watching different channels. Well, we found out that was a sales pitch, so we just happened to receive in the mail a flyer on DirecTV. Called the company that was located about 250 miles away about the deal. I had a sales person the next day sign me up. What seemed to be a great deal in 1995 is a laugh to many people today. We ended up getting two receivers, the dish, a two year warranty, and one year of their Total Choice package. Adding in the installation cost of $250.00 and taxes, our total came to $2568.54. This doesn't count the $400.00 of damage the installers did to our walls in trying to feed the wire through the walls to the outlet. Our wall looked like swiss cheese and they still couldn't find a way down the wall without hitting a fire break. Plus the company wouldn't pay for the fix action. Just think of what we could buy in todays market for that amount of money!!!

#6 OFFLINE   Mike Richardson

Mike Richardson

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 17 September 2003 - 08:09 PM

Hehe, wow. Do you still have DirecTV?
Mike Richardson

#7 OFFLINE   pez2002

pez2002

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 17 September 2003 - 09:41 PM

I remember the old infomercals they uesd to play them in philly on ch 61 i should know i watched one in the summer of 1995 In my old 2 bedroom Apt
on a hot summer night Yeah I wish i could go back to 1996 all over agian

But thats a different post and a different story :)
Mike

xm sub as of/12/31/05

#8 OFFLINE   elbyj

elbyj

Godfather

• Registered
  • 270 posts

Posted 18 September 2003 - 02:53 AM

Hehe, wow. Do you still have DirecTV?

Mike -- Nope! Switched to Dish several years ago and haven't looked back.

#9 OFFLINE   shaun-ohio

shaun-ohio

Icon

• Registered
  • 609 posts
  • Locationzanesville ohio

Posted 18 September 2003 - 03:18 AM

i remember when it first came out in sept of 94-95, i found out that lowes was going to sell them, so i made sure i was the first one there at 7am to get one, i paid over 1000 for my dual system when they were first available.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...