Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Press Release: Slingbox 700U

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 ONLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,860 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 11:05 AM

From slingmedia.com:

Sling Media Introduces Slingbox 700U for Television Service Providers

DISH Network plans to be first to take sleek, ultra-slim device that adds HD Slingbox capability to any compatible set-top box using simple USB connection

Las Vegas, Nev., USA – Jan. 6, 2010 – Sling Media, Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of EchoStar Corporation (NASDAQ: SATS), today unveiled the Slingbox 700U and announced that DISH Network plans to be the first television service provider to add the device to its product lineup. The smallest Slingbox® yet, the Slingbox 700U is the fastest way of adding award-winning Slingbox capabilities to an existing Internet-connected set-top box such as DISH Network's ViP® HD DVR.

"Television service providers are constantly looking for ways to deliver new and exciting services to satisfy existing customers and attract new customers," said John M. Paul, executive vice president of Products at Sling Media. "The surprisingly small, easy-to-install Slingbox 700U delivers 'TV Everywhere' services at a low acquisition and installation cost because it connects via USB on the existing set-top box and self-configures."

The Slingbox 700U eliminates the need for television service providers to invest in the development of their own placeshifting set-top boxes in order to offer "TV Everywhere" services. The newest Slingbox is easy to set up and can help television service providers reduce training and installation costs. The Slingbox 700U can significantly reduce time to market for television service providers wanting to add "TV Everywhere" services to their portfolio.

"The Slingbox 700U is an ideal device to implement our 'TV Everywhere' strategy for existing customers with ViP series satellite TV receivers," said Ira Bahr, Chief Marketing Officer for DISH Network. "Sling Media has developed an easy-to-install Slingbox that greatly expands the number of customers who can enjoy 'TV Everywhere' around the house, or anywhere outside the home, on their laptops or mobile smartphones."

How It Works
The Slingbox 700U's sleek, modern and ultra-slim enclosure only hints at the technical sophistication inside. It is powered through a USB connection which removes the need for any other wires or connectors. In real time, the Slingbox 700U decrypts incoming video, transcodes it and then re-encrypts it for secure transmission over the Internet.

The Slingbox 700U is one in a suite of products and services that EchoStar Technologies L.L.C and its affiliate Sling Media are making available to television service providers to help them attract new subscribers, retain current customers, and bring placeshifting to the largest audience possible.

Sling Media will be demonstrating this new technology in Booth 9021 at the Consumer Electronics Show 2010 in the Central Hall of the Las Vegas Convention Center.

Photos of Sling Media products are downloadable at www.slingmedia.com/go/media.

About Sling Media, Inc.
Sling Media, Inc., an affiliate of EchoStar Technologies L.L.C., which is a wholly owned subsidiary of EchoStar Corporation (NASDAQ: SATS), is the leading provider of video placeshifting products and services for consumers and television service providers. Sling Media's product family includes the internationally acclaimed, Emmy award-winning Slingbox® that allows consumers to watch and control their living room television shows at any time, from any location, using PCs, Macs, PDAs and smartphones. For more information, visit www.slingmedia.com.

About DISH Network Corporation
DISH Network Corporation (NASDAQ: DISH), through its subsidiary DISH Network L.L.C., provides more than 14 million satellite TV customers as of Dec. 10, 2009, with the highest quality programming and technology at the best value, including the lowest all-digital price nationwide. Customers have access to hundreds of video and audio channels, the most HD channels, the most international channels, state-of-the-art interactive TV applications, and award-winning HD and DVR technology including 1080p Video on Demand and the ViP® 722 HD DVR, a CNET and PC Magazine "Editors' Choice." DISH Network is included in the Nasdaq-100 Index (NDX) and is a Fortune 250 company. Visit www.dishnetwork.com.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork

Icon

• Registered
  • 889 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 01:39 PM

All of the products Sling launched make me want to yawn. Nothing exciting, seems now the focus is on Dish/Echostar and no longer on a mass consumer market. I don't see the use for most of these, as was brought up on another board....seems most of these are about saving Dish time when they set up new customers and not having to make long cable runs. The remote control device to me seems like a waste, Harmony is already strong on that market and they decided having remotes update with guide data wasn't working and actually dropped it. Now Sling thinks they can make it work???

#3 ONLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,860 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 01:47 PM

Well clearly they're focusing on their synergy with Dish's products. They already have the lion's share of the placeshifting hardware market, and they've rolled out web-based slinging (which works pretty darn well) and an iPhone app. They have guide data and DVR-type functionality in their Slingplayer... so what's left? Why not concentrate on some synergy?

#4 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,375 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 07 January 2010 - 12:14 PM

There is more to it. Focus on this paragraph:

The Slingbox 700U eliminates the need for television service providers to invest in the development of their own placeshifting set-top boxes in order to offer "TV Everywhere" services. The newest Slingbox is easy to set up and can help television service providers reduce training and installation costs. The Slingbox 700U can significantly reduce time to market for television service providers wanting to add "TV Everywhere" services to their portfolio.

This is Echostar's attempt to get into cable's pants. While Comcast in conjunction with Time Warner Inc. has been trying to create a "TV Everywhere" system with full content control by Comcast and Time Warner Inc. and any suckers they can find in the business, Sling is offering a USB plug ready, user-controlled "TV Everywhere" system.

Yawn if you want, but this is something the average user would like. A box the cable guy brings with him that puts on your network and on the internet anything you have access to via your set top box. And yes, you can buy receiver boxes to hook up to TV's around the house without having some clown drilling holes in your wall or even buy a Sling Monitor. Or have the cable guy install the receivers.

The down side is that the cable guy has to understand your network. Gee, I'll bet the Fios guy and the Uverse guy already know about that.

The problem here is Charlie. He's the industry's guy to hate. But if you are a home theater installer, just imagine how popular you'd be if you could give your customers access in any room in the house that has a computer or a TV without drilling a bunch more holes and stringing cable everywhere. And...give them similar access while on-the-road or at grandma's.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#5 OFFLINE   GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,233 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 09:42 AM

There is more to it. Focus on this paragraph: This is Echostar's attempt to get into cable's pants. While Comcast in conjunction with Time Warner Inc. has been trying to create a "TV Everywhere" system with full content control by Comcast and Time Warner Inc. and any suckers they can find in the business, Sling is offering a USB plug ready, user-controlled "TV Everywhere" system.

Yawn if you want, but this is something the average user would like. A box the cable guy brings with him that puts on your network and on the internet anything you have access to via your set top box. And yes, you can buy receiver boxes to hook up to TV's around the house without having some clown drilling holes in your wall or even buy a Sling Monitor. Or have the cable guy install the receivers.

The down side is that the cable guy has to understand your network. Gee, I'll bet the Fios guy and the Uverse guy already know about that.

The problem here is Charlie. He's the industry's guy to hate. But if you are a home theater installer, just imagine how popular you'd be if you could give your customers access in any room in the house that has a computer or a TV without drilling a bunch more holes and stringing cable everywhere. And...give them similar access while on-the-road or at grandma's.

I think you are right on target about EchoStar Targeting cable companies with this product. Were Charlie is the industry's guy to hate, Echostar has removed him from the day to day management involvment. The removing or stepping down of Charile from Echostar(yes he is a board member still) was a way to help pave the way for this.

#6 OFFLINE   Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp

Analog Geek in a Digital World

• Super Moderators
  • 10,040 posts
  • LocationNorthern Illinois

Posted 08 January 2010 - 11:41 AM

Here is a picture of the Slingbox 700u courtesy of Sling Media's Press Site.

Attached Thumbnails

• Slingbox-700u-240dpi.JPG

#7 ONLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,860 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 11:45 AM

What an odd design. It looks like.. "oh My God, it's full of stars!"

#8 OFFLINE   Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp

Analog Geek in a Digital World

• Super Moderators
  • 10,040 posts
  • LocationNorthern Illinois

Posted 08 January 2010 - 11:48 AM

Ya, it does look like a monolith.

#9 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,375 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 08 January 2010 - 03:06 PM

I'm hoping someone a CES 2010 will get a picture of a Slingbox 700U hooked up. The picture's here show one connection - the USB connection - so my first guess was it's a wireless network transmitter until I read the stuff on the web site which says:

In real time, the Slingbox 700U takes the incoming video stream from the set-top box, transcodes it, and passes it back to the set-top box. The set-top box then streams the video over the Internet to the SlingPlayer™ on compatible devices.

Uh.... Right now my set top boxes (ViP722 and ViP612) couldn't transmit anything except to Dish Network. The news release says:

...The fastest way of adding award-winning Slingbox capabilities to an existing Internet-connected set-top box such as DISH Network's ViP® HD DVR

So somehow this usb connected device passes a data stream directly to the home network plug built into the ViP as a wired pass-through? Or is the ViP itself involved somehow so that it's future software/firmware downloads can screw it all up?

In principal, I'd love to buy two of these things, one for each ViP if it's just a simple pass-through.

EDIT: Nevermind. I went to the SlingCommunity site and learned:

To no surprise, Sling Media/EchoStar's first provider to offer these new products will be Dish Network, offering up the Sling Monitor, Sling Touch Control, and Sling Receiver as companion accessories to the upcoming SlingLoaded 922 HD-DVR. The new Slingbox 700U's first (and currently the only) compatible set-top is the EchoStar ViP 722k.

So fundamentally, I'd have to have 722k's to use this, and if the price increase rumors are correct I'd have pay for one or two DuoHD receivers to have four recorders (no OTA here).

Edited by phrelin, 08 January 2010 - 03:16 PM.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#10 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 07:33 PM

The purpose of spinning off Echostar was that Echostar could make set-top boxes for other video providers (read: cable companies). So far, that hasn't happened, and I doubt that the cable STB vendors of choice (Motorola and Scientific Atlanta) are going to build this functionality into their boxes to benefit a competitor.

So, the chances of the 700U being useful to anyone other than Dish customers is very close to zero.

#11 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 09:11 PM

phrelin, the sign at the Dish booth says it will work with an Dish HD DVR. It adds slingbox capability to the receiver with the video being sent out over the receiver's ethernet connection rather than having a separate box with its own power supply and A/V and ethernet connections.

The "milk crate" design on the L and R sides is reportedly for cooling.
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

#12 OFFLINE   Brent04

Brent04

Legend

• Registered
  • 211 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 09:13 PM

Looks like a big dust collector. Don't think it will be easy to wipe the dust off of it.

#13 OFFLINE   chefwong

chefwong

Legend

• Registered
  • 242 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 11:00 PM

me wonders what the WAN speed on this is. I had a Slingbox HD and even with a 30 meg UPLOAD on my end, the Slingbox HD via the internet was not of any decent quality...

spam firewall