Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Selling Old TiVos...

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   erosroadie

erosroadie

Godfather

• Registered
  • 388 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 02:51 PM

I will be replacing my HR10-250 with an HR2X box in the near future. I also have an old R10 that has been deactivated for about two years. These TiVo boxes work great and have been rock solid. I am simply transitioning to MPEG4 HD boxes for my last line.

As they both work fine, I thought I would sell these as SD DVRs through Craigslist, EBay, etc. My question is, should I remove the access cards before selling them? I seem to recall that personal information on my account may be on an access card and that I should not sell it with the unit. The new owner would then have to purchase a new access card from D* and activate.

Comments?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 02:54 PM

If you can find someone who wants them, I would definitely remove the access cards.

#3 OFFLINE   Tim Godsil

Tim Godsil

Legend

• Registered
  • 142 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 05:19 PM

Dont know if this has changed.

You have to talk to the right people in the card department. I used to be able to buy a used receiver, and stick my card in it, and have programming.

Its called marrying and divorcing a card, I dont know if Directv still does it.
"Its been a rough day. I got up this morning .... put on a shirt and a button fell off. I picked up my briefcase and the handle came off. I'm afraid to go to the bathroom.":hurah:

#4 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,616 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 07 January 2010 - 07:11 PM

You have to talk to the right people in the card department. I used to be able to buy a used receiver, and stick my card in it, and have programming.

Very rarely.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#5 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,264 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 07 January 2010 - 07:52 PM

While that might still be true, he still should remove his access card prior to selling the receivers to someone else.

@erosroadie

Contact the Access Card Team of DirecTV to see if they want the access cards back. If not, they'll usually just request that you shred them.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#6 OFFLINE   erosroadie

erosroadie

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 388 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 07:35 AM

While that might still be true, he still should remove his access card prior to selling the receivers to someone else.

@erosroadie

Contact the Access Card Team of DirecTV to see if they want the access cards back. If not, they'll usually just request that you shred them.

- Merg

Merg, et al:

Many thanks for your thoughts/comments. I'll contact D* first before placing these on the open market...:rolleyes:

#7 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 04:25 PM

While the receiver may be owned, all Access Cards are property of DirecTV and should not be sold. DirecTV will want them returned or destroyed.

#8 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,999 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 08 January 2010 - 04:41 PM

While the receiver may be owned, all Access Cards are property of DirecTV and should not be sold. DirecTV will want them returned or destroyed.

Found that out when I tried to sell an old H20 on E-Bay with the access card. DirecTV had the listing removed and when I asked why was told:

The problem with the auction was that it contained an access card which remains the property of DIRECTV. If you relist the auction without the access card no further action will be taken against it.

If you are in possession of any DIRECTV Access Cards, please return them to the following address:

DIRECTV, Inc.
Attention: The Office of Signal Integrity
P.O. Box 1080
El Segundo, CA 90245

Many thanks for your cooperation.

Investigations and Compliance

See post My Setup for configuration info.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...