Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

The Smiddy/HDTVfan0001 Report - With Pictures

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
151 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   CJTE

CJTE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 12:31 AM

Pauley Perrette is cute. NCIS is a pretty cool show.

Get the heck out of my way when I'm walking down the designated walkway.
People were trying to get pictures of the people who were being pictured with her. They werent getting anything. My buddy was 10ft out and had no clue what was going on.

And the booth she was at made no sense either.
But my buddy didn't remember what the name of the booth was.

Edited by CJTE, 10 January 2010 - 12:57 AM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   smiddy

smiddy

Tain't ogre til its ogre

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,281 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 12:49 AM

Thanks for posting these Stuart...as promised, hdtvfan0001 has more and he and I will get together and writeup what we found at the Entropic Communications booth.

BTW everyone, my pleasure. This was my first CES. I am so glad I got to meet richierich and hdvtfan0001 and we endured a few steps through this huge display of man toys, wow it was amazing! (No offense ladies, you have to admit our passion for these things on the whole are far more stigmatic towards men, I know a few of you are just as nutty about them ;)).
Aaron 'smiddy' Smith

#23 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 12:54 AM

It was Marvell, a chip maker that supplies product manufacturers per one of their reps. People were lining up to see someone from one of the NCIS shows. Not sure how celebrity appearances fits into that. They had a demo of a processor/graphics chip, about 1/4 the size of a postage stamp, in a hand-held device, that was taking 4 video streams, mapping them to a spinning globe, and displaying in 720p on a ~32" panel.
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

#24 OFFLINE   CJTE

CJTE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 12:54 AM

No offense ladies, you have to admit our passion for these things on the whole are far more stigmatic towards men, I know a few of you are just as nutty about them ;)).

I dont know where YOU were at at CES but there were gorgeous gals ALL OVER the place. Not to mention that the first year CES was in town if you had a CES pass you could get into AVN for free (this is no longer the case).

So these are not man-toys, as women enjoy them too :)
(And cute ones at that. Who calls her Mass Spectrometer Col.? :lol:)

#25 OFFLINE   CJTE

CJTE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 12:56 AM

It was Marvell, a chip maker that supplies product manufacturers per one of their reps. People were lining up to see someone from one of the NCIS shows. Not sure how celebrity appearances fits into that. They had a demo of a processor/graphics chip, about 1/4 the size of a postage stamp, in a hand-held device, that was taking 4 video streams, mapping them to a spinning globe, and displaying in 720p on a ~32" panel.

NCIS/Celebrities don't fit into chip making necessarily.
However, they sure did get a lot of attention, didn't they?
And did each person to take a photo not have to swipe their badge??

So now, Marvell has a mass block of email addresses of NCIS/"Abby" fans that they can email about their product.

#26 OFFLINE   dirtyblueshirt

dirtyblueshirt

*Recently Declassified

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,091 posts
  • LocationAnaheim, CA

Posted 10 January 2010 - 01:01 AM

If you watch the video on the link above, you will hear the salesman say there is No way you can tell if you are watching the DVR or another tv....When if fact, there is....And that demo was video directly from the dvr, not via MRV, as MRV does not show up a free drive space percentage on the LIST screen.

If you read the previous posts, they explain that the GUI on the remote end is still generated by the DVR, so it is entirely possible to have the free space bar show on the remote unit.

The better way to think of this is not the unit getting data from the DVR, but as a remote look at the DVR itself
Aaron Slater
Anaheim, CA
Network+, Security+, All-around NiceGuy™

#27 OFFLINE   BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy

Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt...&a

• Registered
  • 5,239 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 05:56 AM

HR24! I have more information on this, but I want to discuss it further with hdtvfan0001. We’re going to write up something for DBSTalk.com about this setup in this exhibit.

http://www.dbstalk.c...41&d=1263095540

This report on Endgadget

We've been exited about the multiroom capabilities of the new RVU protocol built on top of DLNA since the alliance was announced -- DirecTV let its intentions of releasing products in 2010 known at the same time. Up until now we haven't actually been able to see it in action, but today we caught a great demo at the Entropic's booth, and it's cool. The demo showed a totally new DirecTV DVR connected to multiple TVs. The first TV was connected via HDMI and thanks to the wonders of MoCA, the others via coax. What is cool is that they all have the exact same experience and you can use it in up to 8 rooms, but only four TVs at the same time (one on the DVR, three via coax).......

More: http://hd.engadget.c...o-another-room/
Thanks to Google search, people can appear to be smarter than they really are.

#28 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,615 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 06:50 AM

Thanks for posting these Stuart...as promised, hdtvfan0001 has more and he and I will get together and writeup what we found at the Entropic Communications booth.

BTW everyone, my pleasure. This was my first CES. I am so glad I got to meet richierich and hdvtfan0001 and we endured a few steps through this huge display of man toys, wow it was amazing! (No offense ladies, you have to admit our passion for these things on the whole are far more stigmatic towards men, I know a few of you are just as nutty about them ;)).

Yes indeed.

As Smiddy, RichieRich, and I toured the flloor yesterday (a very long day)...we saw many things. Cameras were popping, eyes were opened (often in 3D!), and even some misinformation was somewhat clarified.

Smiddy and I will get our information assembled and normalized, so that we can provide clear and accurate information about the Entropic booth experience. Even some fo the folks who previously visited this booth did not actually get all or accurate information, and we simply were fortunate to meet with a significnat DirecTV staff member during the time we arrived.

Much more is known, much more is yet to be finalized by DirecTV, and what we know to be fact will be shared. While that won't satisfy everyone's curiosity and speculation....there was alot learned yesterday in our visit beyond any of the rumors, misinformation, and guestimates made to date.

Smiddy and I will sort through that and provide it to the Mods for posting when we are done -patience please - Smiddy is traveling today back home, and I'm still here onsite today - planning to make additonal visits to key locations at CES....as well as forward more photos as time permit today.

We'll also include a quick most on our great meet, greet, and dinner gathering here last night with Draconis, AltCool, SpartanStew, RichieRich, Smiddy, and I at Maggioni's for some beverages and Italian.

Yesterday was a VERY long day...so we have some jet lag and time change adjustments to make....but more goodies, information, and photos are coming.

CES has been very worthwhile to attend this year for those of us who came!
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#29 OFFLINE   Sgt. Slaughter

Sgt. Slaughter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,847 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 07:37 AM

HR24! I have more information on this, but I want to discuss it further with hdtvfan0001. We’re going to write up something for DBSTalk.com about this setup in this exhibit.

http://www.dbstalk.c...41&d=1263095540

Are we sure this is an HR24?? Just asking b/c Draconis posted in the other thread when he only got "/700" for the receiver. I'd assume this would mean itd be HR24-700 in the end if both are true? Just trying to speculate here and put the two together and also Doug's site which he added what he thought might be the HR24-500 in the firmware watcher.
Are there more than 1 brand HR24 being tested now?
I'd assume if it is in fact an HR24-500 and pulling software from the sat's then this testing for the box is further along than I had originaly thought it'd be, no?

#30 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,615 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 07:45 AM

Are we sure this is an HR24?? Just asking b/c Draconis posted in the other thread when he only got "/700" for the receiver. I'd assume this would mean itd be HR24-700 in the end if both are true? Just trying to speculate here and put the two together and also Doug's site which he added what he thought might be the HR24-500 in the firmware watcher.
Are there more than 1 brand HR24 being tested now?
I'd assume if it is in fact an HR24-500 and pulling software from the sat's then this testing for the box is further along than I had originaly thought it'd be, no?

We are sure its a prototype unit....as for a Model number....we do know for certain its a "next generation HR2x unit"....more details and photos will be provided in the Smiddy/HDTVFAn report (once we fly home and can post).

I'm also going back into CES today for another visit...to reverify a few details from yesterday in several booths, including the one with this prototype unit.

#31 OFFLINE   JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA

N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,137 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 08:41 AM

Guys great job you guys must of had a great time

JACK,

#32 OFFLINE   Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp

Analog Geek in a Digital World

• Super Moderators
  • 10,040 posts
  • LocationNorthern Illinois

Posted 10 January 2010 - 08:46 AM

Hey Smidster? Post some Dish stuff already would ya?

So did you get a kick out of the Dish vs. DirecTV comparison in the Dish booth?

#33 OFFLINE   dave29

dave29

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,825 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 08:57 AM

Thanks for the pics smiddy.
HR34-700, HR24-500, HR22-100, HR20-100, R22-100, R16

My Setup

Diagram of my Directv setup by Milkman

#34 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,942 posts
  • LocationOutside Portland, ME

Posted 10 January 2010 - 08:59 AM

We are sure its a prototype unit....as for a Model number....we do know for certain its a "next generation HR2x unit"....more details and photos will be provided in the Smiddy/HDTVFAn report (once we fly home and can post).

I'm also going back into CES today for another visit...to reverify a few details from yesterday in several booths, including the one with this prototype unit.

See if you can get an exact quote on how many active sat tuners it's going to have! Better yet, have Smiddy hold the guy down while you run off with the receiver :hurah: j/k

#35 OFFLINE   Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 09:09 AM

Twit TV has several hours of Leo Laporte streaming from CES. http://twit.tv/ces
Sony 34" HD-CRT KD34XBR970 and Sceptre 40" LCD
Roku
R22 DVR / HR20-700 HD DVR
DirecTV since 1999
Waco/Temple/Bryan DMA

#36 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,615 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 09:23 AM

Guys great job you guys must of had a great time

Absolutely did - both in the CES hall and at our "meet and greet w/dinner" last night.

Hey Smidster? Post some Dish stuff already would ya?

So did you get a kick out of the Dish vs. DirecTV comparison in the Dish booth?

I seem to recall we avoided that area yesterday...or maybe we were banned....I don't recall.... :D :lol:

But honestly...I plan to go back into CES today....so not to worry....camera still working fine....always good to know what the competitor wannabe's are doing....:lol::lol::lol:

#37 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,615 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 09:26 AM

See if you can get an exact quote on how many active sat tuners it's going to have! Better yet, have Smiddy hold the guy down while you run off with the receiver :hurah: j/k

Tried the distraction and grab the box idea....well not really....but that was not an option anyway...:lol::lol::lol:

We'll include what we learned on tuners and other similar details in our joint report - Smiddy's on his plane going home shortly, I'm still here at CES, and we'll be posting a joint report ASAP when we get our info all together - probably tomorrow some time (I go home tomorrow).

A great show - glad to see lots here again this year at CES.

#38 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,813 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 10 January 2010 - 09:42 AM

Fantastic posts and information. Many thanks to those who went and gathered the great photos and information. Look forward to more information as it becomes available.

#39 OFFLINE   jpx5

jpx5

Legend

• Registered
  • 126 posts
  • LocationCentral New Jersey

Posted 10 January 2010 - 10:01 AM

Great job guys.

Jeff
Sat - AU9-S

SWM16 broadbandDECA

Network Linksys WRT54GS
HR34-700, HR24-500, 2 HR24-100's
WHDVR

#40 OFFLINE   psweig

psweig

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 10:23 AM

Thanks Stuart, Smiddy and all of you. How I wish that G4 catered to techies; their coverage really sucks.
Antique
HR20-700, HR20-100, HR23-700 (passed away, hard drive in lieu of flowers), Panasonic TC-32LX85, Two receivers HDMI (Toslink audio to Sherwood R7502 7.1 A/V Receiver in living room). One receiver component.
Wired network, from Dell 530S, 2.2Dual, 3gig mem, vod enabled, AT&T 2WIRE Broadband Router in computer room. 3 mgbit download speed.
Three composite hookups to RCA RF modulator to 20" Toshiba SD TV in bedroom and 13" Samsung TV in computer room.
Added blu-ray panasonic xmas 2008, added D-link switch in living room, Roku player, March 2009.

spam firewall