Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

The Smiddy/HDTVfan0001 Report - With Pictures

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
151 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,691 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 01:40 PM

Since I fly alot for work...I think TSA just lets me through out of sympathy. :lol:

Some the other guys, on the other hand........:D:lol:

Actually - our gathering was SUPER. Everyone enjoyed each other's company as well. The onsite booth visits we all made at CES were very interesting, informative, and also in some cases...entertaining.

Smiddy and I have been glad to share the photos - sharing is part of the DBSTalk creed. ;)
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#102 OFFLINE   BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy

Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt...&a

• Registered
  • 5,259 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 01:48 PM

Since I fly alot for work...I think TSA just lets me through out of sympathy. :lol:

Some the other guys, on the other hand........:D:lol:

Or self preservation. !rolling
Thanks to Google search, people can appear to be smarter than they really are.

#103 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,278 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 12 January 2010 - 03:08 PM

You have a valid point.

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#104 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,469 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 03:15 PM

Are we sure this is an HR24?? Just asking b/c Draconis posted in the other thread when he only got "/700" for the receiver. ?

Looks like an HMC30 - Home Media Center (not an HR24) which I have heard has 5 tuners in it and a Faster Broadcom Chipset, probably the BCM7420 (same Broadcom chipset that will be in the HR24 unless they use the BCM7400 which will be cheaper but still Fast) that will make your head spin when you see the speed of the Guide, etc., not to mention some other goodies that can't be talked about at this time that will be shared with you in the Collaborative Report by hdtvfan0001 & smiddy.

It definitely was a Great Time in Vegas at the CES for sure. Just remember guys what happened in Vegas stays in Vegas, right???

Edited by Richierich, 13 January 2010 - 07:53 AM.

DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#105 OFFLINE   dave29

dave29

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,828 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 03:22 PM

Or self preservation. !rolling

:lol: Good one

#106 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,942 posts
  • LocationOutside Portland, ME

Posted 12 January 2010 - 03:23 PM

Looks like an HMC30 - Home Media Center (not an HR24) which I have heard has 5 tuners in it and a Faster Broadcom Chipset, probably the BCM7420 (same Broadcom chipset that will be in the HR24) that will make your head spin when you see the speed of the Guide, etc., not to mention some other goodies that can't be talked about at this time that will be shared with you in the Collaborative Report by hdtvfan0001 & smiddy.

It definitely was a Great Time in Vegas at the CES for sure. Just remember guys what happened in Vegas stays in Vegas, right???

Record 5 satellite channels at once?

#107 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,469 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 03:26 PM

Why not?

It is indeed 2010!!!

Progress is being made!!!

Way To Go Directv!!!
Here's My Setup

#108 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,942 posts
  • LocationOutside Portland, ME

Posted 12 January 2010 - 03:27 PM

Why not?

It is indeed 2010!!!

Progress is being made!!!

Way To Go Directv!!!

Okay, who do I have to bribe to get one now? lol I'd say something else, but this IS a family forum lol

#109 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,691 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 04:18 PM

Nope.

It's a Home Media Center prototype...that has other implications, not just DVR functionality. Also, the number of tuners in the prototype may also not reflect what will be in the final version.

We also learned and saw a client device near the Home Media Center...which of course, would contain no tuner.

#110 OFFLINE   smiddy

smiddy

Tain't ogre til its ogre

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,286 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 04:20 PM

After looking at those ugly mug shots, I'm surprised some of you guys who flew weren't strip-searched at airport security.

Who says we weren't? That's kind of a personal aspect of the trip I'm not prepared to write about actually. :lol:
Aaron 'smiddy' Smith

#111 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,469 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 04:27 PM

Nope.

It's a Home Media Center prototype...that has other implications, not just DVR functionality. Also, the number of tuners in the prototype may also not reflect what will be in the final version.

We also learned and saw a client device near the Home Media Center...which of course, would contain no tuner.

This Home Media Center Prototype which has been mentioned by Directv for 2 years is very close to becoming reality. It has a Fast Processor, a large hard Drive, 5 tuners to transmit to Clients (that don't have a hard drive thereby no storage capacity but are just Clients) that eventually will wind up inside of your Display Device in the future.

The On Screen Guide is probably 3 times Faster than the fastest DVR I now have. Faster loading (about 2 seconds) and lightning fast browsing of the Guide.

I want to reiterate that this is not the HR24 but a Futuristic Home Media Center that will be coming out shortly but not before the HR24.

DIRECTV is UPPING the ANTE in my opinion and is definitely looking towards the Future Market Share in making things simpler and easier and more functional in their Process of Delivering High Definition Content to the User as well as 3-D Content.

Edited by Richierich, 13 January 2010 - 07:57 AM.

Here's My Setup

#112 OFFLINE   Groundhog45

Groundhog45

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,113 posts
  • LocationCedar Park, Texas

Posted 12 January 2010 - 04:52 PM

Five tuners?? :eek2::eek2::confused::confused: I can hardly wait. :D

:confused: <-- Ever notice how this guy looks like "Wilson" in Castaway?

Richard -- DirecTV since '97
Team SETI.USA

#113 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,691 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 04:54 PM

Ya'll gotta remember its a Home Media Center....so things can play a different "role" than in an HD DVR.

And yes.... W I L S O N!!! :lol:

#114 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,469 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 05:01 PM

I think Everyone will be BLOWN AWAY with some of the Technological Advancements by DIRECTV in 2010 and I for one am very excited and saving up my money for some NEW ADDITIONS to my already extensive Home Entertainment Systems.

I for one was Very Impressed and I have alot of money invested in all of my elaborate Home Entertainment Systems but this was Very Impressive.

The Five Tuners may be 2 for Recording and 3 for serving Clients (3 is only allowed at this time).

You will not believe the SPEED of the NEW PROCESSORS!!! Unbelievably Fast Guide, etc. The Future is Coming and it is Coming Fast not to mention 3-D. I will leave that to my compatriots, HDTVFAN0001 & SMIDDY and that is a whole nuther ball game as they say.

There will be alot of Threads that will Die in the Year 2010.

(1) More HD In 2011. Won't need that Thread.
(2) Can we have more Speed? You'll have Plenty of SPEED!!!
(3) I need More Tuners! How about 4 or 5? 5 for the HMC30 and probably 4 for the HR24 depending upon which Broadcom Chipset is used!!!
(4) Can I get more Series Link? Yes.

All I can say in closing is that I am Glad I Am In Bed With DIRECTV because 2010 will Definitely be Exciting!!!

Edited by Richierich, 13 January 2010 - 07:59 AM.

Here's My Setup

#115 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,691 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 05:19 PM

Please note: the DirecTV staff on site at CES did NOT confirm all the information that has been inferred within thread in its entirety, but we did learn considerably more than we all knew or thought before, including some of the details already posted.

Also, as a prototype....it could be modified prior to production, and likely will be in some elements.

Regardless, the Home Media Center prototype at CES was indeed impressive, both in appearance, performance, and the features we were able to get confirmed.

#116 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,996 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 12 January 2010 - 05:35 PM

You will not believe the SPEED of the NEW PROCESSORS!!! Unbelievably Fast Guide, etc.

Hell, I would have been happy if they just kept the same chip set that the HR20's have in the HR21/22/23's. Whoever made that decision made a mistake probably all in the name of saving a couple of $'s.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#117 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,691 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 05:37 PM

Hell, I would have been happy if they just kept the same chip set that the HR20's have in the HR21/22/23's. Whoever made that decision made a mistake probably all in the name of saving a couple of $'s.

The protoype chip set we saw in the prototype...whatever number it is (and the actual number chip was not learned)...Richierich is correct - it was absolutely much faster than any HD DVR they've had to date.

#118 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,996 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 12 January 2010 - 05:41 PM

The protoype chip set we saw in the prototype...whatever number it is (and the actual number chip was not learned)...is absolutely much faster than any HD DVR they've had to date.

Not disagreeing with you, just saying that the decision to use a different chip set in the HR21/22/23 vs. the HR20 was a bad one. Hopefully it's the last time that DirecTV does something like that. The recent Dish commercials/shoot outs of their hardware vs. the HR23 hopefully will be the last time they can do that, ever.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#119 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,691 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 05:43 PM

Not disagreeing with you, just saying that the decision to use a different chip set in the HR21/22/23 vs. the HR20 was a bad one. Hopefully it's the last time that DirecTV does something like that. The recent Dish commercials/shoot outs of their hardware vs. the HR23 hopefully will be the last time they can do that, ever.

Regardless...the next generation devices will likely have next generation internal components as well - certainly the on site prototype at CES was very noticably much faster in the guide, menu, channel changes, etc. It was one of the first obvious things seen there - speed!

#120 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,469 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 05:49 PM

Regardless...the next generation devices will likely have next generation internal components as well - certainly the on site prototype at CES was very noticably much faster in the guide, menu, channel changes, etc. It was one of the first obvious things seen there - speed!

+1!!! AMEN!!!

Nothing else at CES Impressed me as much as the SPEED of the GUIDE. Granted they probably didn't have it loaded down with alot of Recordings, Series Links, etc. but it was Lightning FAST and VERY OBVIOUS!!!

Obviously, DIRECTV learned their lesson and spent more on buying the best state-of-the-art Broadcom chipsets to render the additional speed that they realized they needed. Everything is a Learning Curve and I know they got this one right.

It is UNBELIEVABLE but I also want to add that we don't know how many recordings were on the box or other processes that could slow it down but I believe even with alot of recordings, Series Links, etc. you will see this Puppy Fly compared to the past HR2X DVRs.

Edited by Richierich, 12 January 2010 - 05:56 PM.

Here's My Setup

Protected By... spam firewall...And...