Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

The Smiddy/HDTVfan0001 Report - With Pictures

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
151 replies to this topic

#121 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,708 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 12 January 2010 - 07:13 PM

Any mention of PIP or what size hard drives the new media center will have? Hope its 1TB or larger.

Thanks

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#122 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,650 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 07:27 PM

Any mention of PIP or what size hard drives the new media center will have? Hope its 1TB or larger.

Thanks

Didn't ask about PIP, but we were told the hard drives would be "larger".

The prototype had a larger drive, but we were told that would not necessarily be the same in the production version.

I'd be inclined to think they'd put a 1TB drive or so in there, but we did not get it officially confirmed at the CES.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#123 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,650 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 08:24 PM

...But the CES was great.... :D

More details to come.

#124 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,757 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 12 January 2010 - 08:31 PM

I made them do a Strip Search twice just to make sure!!!

Wow, was that fun!!!

How ever they did confiscate my Pimento Cheese stored in a small Rubber Maid Container that made it thru Hartsfield in Atlanta. It was made with expensive Boar's Head Canadian Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese and I was not happy. She said it was a liquid. I said "No Way". She then said it was a Jell. I said "No Way!". She then said it was not allowed and I asked why and she just looked at me like a deer in the headlights and said "It is Federal Policy.".

So a lesson to be learned is Never Ever Travel With Pimento Cheese In your bag. But you can have Ritz Crackers with a Cheese or Peanut Butter stuffing. Who makes up these rules???

Absolutely Insane!!!

You could eat a slice to her face to prove it :P.

Edited by P Smith, 12 January 2010 - 08:42 PM.

#125 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,650 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 08:34 PM

You could eat a slice to her face to prove it :P.

Don't encourage him. :D:lol:

#126 OFFLINE   Ken_F

Ken_F

Godfather/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 551 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 11:10 PM

Not disagreeing with you, just saying that the decision to use a different chip set in the HR21/22/23 vs. the HR20 was a bad one. Hopefully it's the last time that DirecTV does something like that. The recent Dish commercials/shoot outs of their hardware vs. the HR23 hopefully will be the last time they can do that, ever.

DirecTV didn't really have a choice. The dual-chip HR20 design cost DirecTV almost $450 to build, according to a quarterly conference call, and that was more than they could provide at no cost to new customers.

The HR21/HR22/HR23 were based on Broadcom's first DVR SoC with integrated MPEG-4. That chip made it possible for DirecTV to build a single-chip design, without OTA, at a much more reasonable $250 (HR21). Unfortunately, that SoC also offers half the memory bandwidth of the older dual-chip design, which translates to slower responsiveness and network throughput.

In 4Q 2008, Broadcom started shipping its second-generation MPEG-4 DVR SoC in volume. That SoC (BCM7400) doubled performance to support DVR designs with a high-definition interface and quad tuners. Dish Network shipped the ViP722K with this chip in April'09. DirecTV stuck with the old chip for the HR23 released in May'09, even though the new part would've eliminated most complaints about responsiveness.

Broadcom said last week that it was now shipping the final version of its next-generation BCM7420 to manufacturers. Originally announced at CES last year, this chip incorporates a significantly faster CPU and 2D/3D graphics, 1080p60 output, MoCA, robust power management for Energy Star compliance, and support for up to six tuners. Did DirecTV pass on the BCM7400 last year to wait for this new generation of SoCs? That would be great if true...but I wouldn't bet on it.

This Home Media Center Prototype which has been mentioned by Directv for 2 years is very close to becoming reality. It has a Fast Processor, a large hard Drive, 5 tuners to transmit to Clients (that don't have a hard drive thereby no storage capacity but are just Clients) that eventually will wind up inside of your Display Device in the future.

The On Screen Guide is probably 3 times Faster than the fastest DVR I now have. Faster loading (about 2 seconds) and lightning fast browsing of the Guide.

I want to reiterate that this is not the HR24 but a Futuristic Home Media Center that will be coming out shortly but not before the HR24.

DIRECTV is UPPING the ANTE in my opinion and is definitely looking towards the Future Market Share in making things simpler and easier and more functional it their Process of Delivering High Definition Content to the User as well as 3-D Content.

Regardless...the next generation devices will likely have next generation internal components as well - certainly the on site prototype at CES was very noticably much faster in the guide, menu, channel changes, etc. It was one of the first obvious things seen there - speed!

I wouldn't get your hopes up for that level of performance in a HR24. If DirecTV couldn't get the BCM7400 released in Oct'08 into a HR23 DVR shipped in May'09, how is it going to get a BCM7420/BCM7410 released in Dec'09 into a HR24 DVR shipped in late February or March?

From a support perspective, it would be advantageous for DirecTV to ship both platforms with the same SoC, but I just don't see how they do it and meet their 1Q'10 goal.

Edited by Ken_F, 13 January 2010 - 04:12 AM.

#127 OFFLINE   BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy

Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt...&a

• Registered
  • 5,259 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 04:03 AM

I made them do a Strip Search twice just to make sure!!!

Wow, was that fun!!!

How ever they did confiscate my Pimento Cheese stored in a small Rubber Maid Container that made it thru Hartsfield in Atlanta. It was made with expensive Boar's Head Canadian Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese and I was not happy. She said it was a liquid. I said "No Way". She then said it was a Jell. I said "No Way!". She then said it was not allowed and I asked why and she just looked at me like a deer in the headlights and said "It is Federal Policy.".

So a lesson to be learned is Never Ever Travel With Pimento Cheese In your bag. But you can have Ritz Crackers with a Cheese or Peanut Butter stuffing. Who makes up these rules???

Absolutely Insane!!!

It was because of the Canadian cheese..shame on you...if it had been Vermont cheese it would have passed muster...hmmm probably not....she was passing the mustard as she ate your sandwich for lunch. :D BTW BH Canadian Extra Sharp Cheddar is my favorite of the Cheddars. Ya just can't slice it.
Thanks to Google search, people can appear to be smarter than they really are.

#128 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,467 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 07:42 AM

I use the Boar's Head Extra Sharp Canadian Cheese for Pimento Cheese, Grilled Cheese Sandwiches, Enchiladas and it is great with a tangy bite.
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#129 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,650 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 08:01 AM

I wouldn't get your hopes up for that level of performance in a HR24. If DirecTV couldn't get the BCM7400 released in Oct'08 into a HR23 DVR shipped in May'09, how is it going to get a BCM7420/BCM7410 released in Dec'09 into a HR24 DVR shipped in late February or March?

I suspect you will find that HR24 will be "different" than you depict...and folks aren't wrong to get their hopes up.

#130 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,467 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 08:05 AM

DirecTV didn't really have a choice. The dual-chip HR20 design cost DirecTV almost $450 to build, according to a quarterly conference call, and that was more than they could provide at no cost to new customers.

The HR21/HR22/HR23 were based on Broadcom's first DVR SoC with integrated MPEG-4. That chip made it possible for DirecTV to build a single-chip design, without OTA, at a much more reasonable $250 (HR21). Unfortunately, that SoC also offers half the memory bandwidth of the older dual-chip design, which translates to slower responsiveness and network throughput.

In 4Q 2008, Broadcom started shipping its second-generation MPEG-4 DVR SoC in volume. That SoC (BCM7400) doubled performance to support DVR designs with a high-definition interface and quad tuners. Dish Network shipped the ViP722K with this chip in April'09. DirecTV stuck with the old chip for the HR23 released in May'09, even though the new part would've eliminated most complaints about responsiveness.

Broadcom said last week that it was now shipping the final version of its next-generation BCM7420 to manufacturers. Originally announced at CES last year, this chip incorporates a significantly faster CPU and 2D/3D graphics, 1080p60 output, MoCA, robust power management for Energy Star compliance, and support for up to six tuners. Did DirecTV pass on the BCM7400 last year to wait for this new generation of SoCs? That would be great if true...but I wouldn't bet on it.

From a support perspective, it would be advantageous for DirecTV to ship both platforms with the same SoC, but I just don't see how they do it and meet their 1Q'10 goal.

Excellent Post Ken and that probably explains what happened and that they will probably use the BCM7420 in the HMC30 and the BCM7400 in the HR24 but we will have to wait and see. It would indeed be nice if they used the BCM7410 or BCM7420 chipset in the HR24 for compatibility purposes and for supporting MRV when it comes out in the Future as has been announced by Directv.
Here's My Setup

#131 OFFLINE   Draconis

Draconis

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,401 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 13 January 2010 - 08:30 AM

That was work? :lol: I wish I did that for a living...;)

I'll second that. :D

#132 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,650 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 09:07 AM

Excellent Post Ken and that probably explains what happened and that they will probably use the BCM7420 in the HMC30 and the BCM7400 in the HR24 but we will have to wait and see. It would indeed be nice if they used the BCM7410 or BCM7420 chipset in the HR24 for compatibility purposes and for supporting MRV when it comes out in the Future as has been announced by Directv.

Then again...we don't KNOW for sure.

We only saw a prototype....;)

#133 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,467 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 09:25 AM

Then again...we don't KNOW for sure.

We only saw a prototype....;)

That is why I said they will PROBABLY use the BCM7420 in the HMC30 and the BCM7400 in the HR24 but WE WILL HAVE TO WAIT AND SEE!!!

Of course we are just speculating and posturing about what has happened in the past and what might happen in the future. Fifty percent of what we talk about around here in this Forum is Speculation and Postulation about various topics.

And it has been stated repeated that this is a Prototype. That was the first thing I stated.
Here's My Setup

#134 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,650 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 09:58 AM

Fifty percent of what we talk about around here in this Forum is Speculation and Postulation about various topics.

Yes indeed....but of course, this particular thread is about reporting on the CES, in contrast to speculation.

To set expectations on our report (photos are already here for your "entertainment and enjoyment", Smiddy are working on a formalized "report"...and it takes time.

We hope to have something as soon as we can, which will include content on a number of observations onsite at CES. Thanks for your patience.

#135 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,467 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 10:45 AM

Yes indeed....but of course, this particular thread is about reporting on the CES, in contrast to speculation.

We hope to have something as soon as we can, which will include content on a number of observations onsite at CES. Thanks for your patience.

If you wait too long you will lose your Audience at the Height of Anticipation so kick it in high gear and get it out there!!! :D

If you just report on CES and leave out all Speculation you won't have too much to report!!!
Here's My Setup

#136 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,860 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 10:50 AM

That's a funny perspective... considering how many people have complained over the years that such-and-such should not have been released until it was ready.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#137 OFFLINE   PaceHD

PaceHD

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 11:21 AM

Given the HMC30 prototype is made by Pace, how similar / different is it likely to be to the Pace multiroom solution announced in November?:

"Pace’s HCS solution, an industry first, is now commercially available and enables full dual tuner HD-DVR functionality on every connected television in the home. The solution is built around a single Network Attached Storage (NAS) device that provides centralized storage and a shared list of recordings that can be accessed from multiple set-top boxes within a home network. Access to key features such as ‘watch and record’, pausing live TV, and managing recordings from connected televisions is being made possible through the well-known Rovi Interactive Program Guide (IPG)".

#138 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,860 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 11:23 AM

Hard to know for sure, but as you're no doubt aware, Pace makes a lot of different boxes for worldwide clients and they are often quite dissimilar.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#139 OFFLINE   spidey

spidey

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 04:47 PM

Wow Great Job Guys, the next few years as D* rolls this stuff out will make the days of the Santa release look like the wright brothers at kitty hawk. I am really looking forward to the Multituner DVR that can feed a bunch of clients in the home all via COAX

#140 OFFLINE   jmf243

jmf243

Legend

• Registered
  • 154 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 08:07 PM

How's the official report coming? I'm waiting anxiously :)

spam firewall