Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

R15 Problem "Formatting HDD failed"

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   nevski

nevski

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 11:44 AM

My R15 would not turn on either with the remote or on the unit itself, so I did a red button reset and when the unit came back up, it went to a blue screen with the message: "Formatting the HDD" and also on the diplay was the "time remaing and progress". The unit got to about 60% complete with the formatting and then a mesage comes up saying "Formatting HDD failed". After this I tried another red button reset and it goes through the same process and doesn't complete formatting. I am unable to turn the unit on without it going through this process each time. Is this unit toast? Can it be salvaged. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,268 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 11 January 2010 - 05:16 PM

Unfortunately, your unit is toast. The HDD seems to be done. Since you probably have a leased unit, contact DirecTV and they should replace it at no cost if you have the Protection Plan or for the cost of shipping ($20) if you don't have the PP.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#3 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 12 January 2010 - 10:21 AM

Welcome to DBSTALK.COM! :welcome_s

Unfortunately, The Merg is probably right about your hard drive being in hard drive heaven but you might want to unplug the unit from the wall for 30 minutes or so and then plug it back in. If it reformats the HDD correctly but then fails again later, you could have a power supply problem.

In any event, a call to DirecTV to explore your replacement options is probably in order. Be sure to describe exactly what is happening or they might try to send out a techician which will add big bucks to your bill.

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

Protected By... spam firewall...And...