Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

stockpile of stuff

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 10:10 PM

Firstly, hello, my name is Matt, and I am addicted to TV.

I recently subscribed to the +DVR package on DTV.

Well anyway I got a bunch of old stuff off of freecycle to have around as a spare instead of the protection plan (much much cheaper that way!), extra LNBs and a multiswitch and some people have even given me receivers. I have called about RID numbers on some of them and got to wondering:

Will I get in trouble calling about a dozen different receivers and not activating them? I did actually activate a second DVR I received today on my account so I can record 4 channels at once now, but I want to call about 6 more receivers and I have already called about 5 of them. Should I hold off on calling the access card dept for a couple months?

I was surprised about how much stuff I have found. Seems a lot of people figured out they like Dish better haha

Thanks everyone

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   HRJustin

HRJustin

Godfather

• Registered
  • 433 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 11:01 PM

The only problem you would have is the receivers being leased. Most newer receivers are all leased. SD normal receivers D11 and D12, SD DVRs R15, R16 and R22 and HD DVRs HR20, HR21, HR22, HR23. These are all of the current receivers. Anything after around the first half of 2006 is leased equipment. It is possible some are owned but most of these will be leased. You shouldn't have a problem calling in and having the RID numbers checked. You could give them more then one RID at a time as far as I know. As long as you got all the receivers legally should be no problem. Alot of people dont understand the lease program so just be aware of that on the newer receivers.

How many receivers do you need active? For the dish you will want to move towards the slimline as that will give you all the future channels.
**Living Room - H24-x00** **My Room - HR22-100** **Master Bedroom - R22-100**
***I am in a 72.5 local swap market I do not subscribe to HD access***

**Complete Setup Here**

#3 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 11:06 PM

One of them is a D11, two are Samsung brand, and 3 are D12s.

I actually got a D12 that was owned the other day. The card dept rep was quite surprised at this. Turns out it was an employee receiver, and I was able to activate it.

I did acquire them legally, and I will probably end up with 4 of them hooked up.

#4 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,247 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 11 January 2010 - 11:41 PM

There's no problem inquiring if a receiver can be activated by verifying its RID. For all they know, you are possibly going to purchase the receiver and are verifying its owned/leased status.

As for getting a newer receiver that is owned, it is possible to do so. If someone had an older receiver that was replaced under the Protection Plan with a newer receiver, the replacement would be owned. If they decided to later sell/give away that receiver, you could then activate it.

BTW, :welcome_s to DBSTalk!

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#5 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 12 January 2010 - 10:35 AM

You cannot determine if a receiver is owned or leased (even the newest ones) unless you verify it's serial number and/or RID with DirecTV.

For example, I OWN a D10 and a D11 obtained before the leasing program began. I also OWN one of my R15's and my R22.

But you should consider a few things....

With DirecTV's new policy, the only way you can get an OWNED receiver replaced/repaired is by subscribing to the protection plan. They no longer will send you out a leased replacement for $20 and a 2 year commitment reset!!

Meanwhile, if a LEASED receiver breaks down, DirecTV will send you an equivalent replacement (SD DVR, HD DVR, SD receiver, HD receiver) for a S & H fee of $20 which includes a 90 day warranty on the replacement. This also does NOT add to your present commitment (if you have one).

Since you obviously know how to obtain a new access card for your purchased receivers and also know how to connect them and service your own system, you may be money ahead by owning everything and keeping "spares" in stock. But you will pay $20 for a new access card every time you need to put one of these spares in service.....the same cost for getting a failed leased receiver replaced!

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#6 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 04:19 PM

Meanwhile, if a LEASED receiver breaks down, DirecTV will send you an equivalent replacement (SD DVR, HD DVR, SD receiver, HD receiver) for a S & H fee of $20 which includes a 90 day warranty on the replacement. This also does NOT add to your present commitment (if you have one).

I guess I should have gotten all 4 leased receivers when I got the system installed.

I think I might get the plan, my DVR looks like it has had a rough life. You can't even see the circuit board under the dust.

Will a owned receiver be replaced under the plan if that warranty sticker is gone?

#7 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 04:38 PM

Well I just called in about the 3 D12 receivers. Leased. All three. Looks like I have 3 spare power supplies for my owned D12-500.....

#8 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,247 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 12 January 2010 - 07:54 PM

I think I might get the plan, my DVR looks like it has had a rough life. You can't even see the circuit board under the dust.

Will a owned receiver be replaced under the plan if that warranty sticker is gone?

I haven't heard of there being issues with that. Those stickers come off way too easily anyways. I know the one on my R15-300 ripped when I moved the last time.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

spam firewall