Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

How do I repurpose the HD DVR hard drive into a PC?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   mx6bfast

mx6bfast

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,237 posts
  • LocationDelray Beach, FL

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:51 AM

I just recently left D* due to the setup of the house I moved in where I need wireless receivers, and I had 2 HR20's that they didn't want back. I owned one of them where I put a 1.5 tb hard drive in and still had the original hard drive saved, so I have 2 300 gb hard drives I want to put as extras in 2 Win 7 pc's. I'm keeping the 1.5 tb in the original HR20 just in case we do end up going back to D*, there are years of movies saved up on it. Just need their wireless receivers to hit the market first.

I used DBAN to wipe the hard drive clean and once that was complete I put the hard drive in first an XP box. A drive letter wasn't assigned but when I went into BIOS and used the Seagate software the hard drive was there. I probably could've skipped the DBAN step as I have to do the below anyways on the 2nd hard drive.

Next I tried a 7 pc and the same thing occurred, only difference is 7 installed the driver for the hard drive and said it was ready to use. It still wasn't showing up in My Computer so I used Drive Cleanser in the Seagate app and after it was done I rebooted, same scenario, no drive letter assigned. I finally found this website that showed me how to give the hard drive a drive letter. http://en.kioskea.ne...-not-recognized Once I did that, the drive is showing up in My Computer, rebooted, still showing up, just empty from no files being on it yet. I transferred files over to the hard drive, opened them up, rebooted, still there.

The wiping process took a few hours to complete. Other than that the drives are good to go.
Glory, Glory Man United

My setup with pictures

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#22 ONLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,058 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:43 AM

Cleaning MBR by Windows Drive Manager will require a minute, then create a partition, format it - done.
You got it hard and long way [out of normal track].

#23 OFFLINE   mx6bfast

mx6bfast

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:52 AM

Cleaning MBR by Windows Drive Manager will require a minute, then create a partition, format it - done.
You got it hard and long way [out of normal track].

Drive Manager didn't give me that option until I cleaned it using the Seagate application.
Glory, Glory Man United

My setup with pictures

#24 ONLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,058 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:02 AM

Can't buy the method ...

I did handle the DVR's drives from different model/makers for many years ... Perhaps you did miss a step of disabling power-in-standby mode.

#25 OFFLINE   mx6bfast

mx6bfast

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:49 AM

Can't buy the method ...

I did handle the DVR's drives from different model/makers for many years ... Perhaps you did miss a step of disabling power-in-standby mode.

There might be faster ways to do it, but no one in this thread, even the op, could get it to work for them. I was only sharing how I was able to. All I know is the process worked on 2 hard drives for me. I now have 2 extra 300 gb drives I can use.
Glory, Glory Man United

My setup with pictures

Protected By... spam firewall...And...