Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New News Channels?

session

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   pablo

pablo

Icon

• Registered
  • 898 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 05:52 PM

What is the possibility of DirecTV adding some news channels they currently do not carry with D12, even in SD? I'm mainly talking about international English-language channels like BBC World News and Euronews (available on Cablevision and Dish), as well as others like CNN International, Al Jazeera English, Russia Today, and I'm sure others I'm leaving out. We have cable at work, so I like watching those international news channels, they are very different from our CNN and Fox News. Would be great if DirecTV added them. Has there ever been any inkling?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Ed Campbell

Ed Campbell

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,278 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 05:54 PM

Lots of wishing. Nothing but boilerplate responses.

So far.

#3 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,197 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 06:28 PM

What is the possibility of DirecTV adding some news channels they currently do not carry with D12, even in SD? I'm mainly talking about international English-language channels like BBC World News and Euronews (available on Cablevision and Dish), as well as others like CNN International, Al Jazeera English, Russia Today, and I'm sure others I'm leaving out. We have cable at work, so I like watching those international news channels, they are very different from our CNN and Fox News. Would be great if DirecTV added them. Has there ever been any inkling?

I want CLTV it is a Chicago area news channel (not on OTA)

#4 OFFLINE   Araxen

Araxen

Icon

• Registered
  • 781 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 07:19 PM

I would love to have all those channels on Directv. I prefer to have different viewpoints from different parts of the world.
If it ain't in HD, it ain't worth watching!
PSN: Araxen - Xbox: Gamertag: Araxen II - Steam: Araxen - WiiU: Araxen

#5 OFFLINE   bjamin82

bjamin82

Godfather

• Registered
  • 367 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 07:21 PM

SkyNews is another one

#6 OFFLINE   dcowboy7

dcowboy7

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,629 posts
  • LocationPequannock, NJ

Posted 14 January 2010 - 07:29 PM

Al Jazeera English....do they have that gameshow:
"Who Wants To Be A Suicide Bomber".

#7 OFFLINE   pablo

pablo

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 898 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 07:29 PM

Al Jazeera English is not something like Al Qaeda TV, as it's sometimes though of. It's a very good and fair news channel (and it's in HD, too). You can watch it for free live here: http://www.livestati...jazeera_english Having different viewpoints from different parts of the world, like Araxen said, is very important today, I feel.

#8 OFFLINE   myselfalso

myselfalso

Godfather

• Registered
  • 385 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 09:06 PM

PCN (Pennsylvania Cable Network) would be cool to have. But I doubt that'll happen.
I have been a DirecTV subscriber since 2005.

A few channels I'd still like to see DirecTV add are:
CSPAN3, the PAC-12 Network(s), BBC World and more international news channels.

#9 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,197 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 09:16 PM

SkyNews is another one

Sky News HD is comeing soon.

#10 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,913 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 14 January 2010 - 09:19 PM

Al Jazeera English....do they have that gameshow:
"Who Wants To Be A Suicide Bomber".

Riiiight, because it must mean extremist because you've never heard of it. :rolleyes:
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#11 OFFLINE   pablo

pablo

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 898 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 09:25 PM

Speaking of regional networks, how about NY1?

#12 OFFLINE   Newshawk

Newshawk

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 11:29 PM

NY1, CLTV, PCN, News 12 LI/NY/NJ/Whatever, The Comcra... er, Comcast Network and all other regional/local news channels like that will never be on any DBS provider. Why? They were set up by cable companies to give them exclusive content that satellite doesn't have-kinda like the 101 Network on DirecTV.

DIRECTV employee April 2004-November 2012.
The above comments are my own because I don't know if anyone would care about my opinions anymore.

#13 OFFLINE   Coca Cola Kid

Coca Cola Kid

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,586 posts
  • LocationMt. Morris, MI

Posted 15 January 2010 - 02:03 AM

NY1, CLTV, PCN, News 12 LI/NY/NJ/Whatever, The Comcra... er, Comcast Network and all other regional/local news channels like that will never be on any DBS provider. Why? They were set up by cable companies to give them exclusive content that satellite doesn't have-kinda like the 101 Network on DirecTV.

Yeah but those channels air new content on a daily basis, the 101 airs every show 10,000 times.

Anyways, I'd love to have more free international English language news channels. CNN is way too repetitive and MSNBC and Fox News are too biased.

DIRECTV customer

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of other DIRECTV customers

My giant list of missing or wrong logos

#14 OFFLINE   kc1ih

kc1ih

Legend

• Registered
  • 253 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 03:48 AM

I'de like to see Canadian stations CBC Newsworld and CTV News Channel.

#15 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,969 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 15 January 2010 - 04:04 AM

How about Northwest Cable News, which is run by Belo, not a cable company? I suggested that they put it on an OTA subchannel (16.2 in Seattle is currently just a SD 4:3 cropped copy of 16:1), but they didn't respond.

#16 OFFLINE   dodge boy

dodge boy

R.I.P. Chris Henry

• Banned User
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 07:38 AM

I want Ohio News Network....

Oh and Naked News....
My equipment:
1 HR22-100 leased
1 HR22-100 owned
1 HR23-700 owned
1 R22-100 owned
1 R22-200 owned

Slimline III with a 4X8 multiswitch and an SWM8
18" round dish with a 4X8 switch on the garage

#17 OFFLINE   bjamin82

bjamin82

Godfather

• Registered
  • 367 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 10:35 AM

Sky News HD is comeing soon.

Really?

#18 OFFLINE   Jaspear

Jaspear

Godfather

• Registered
  • 392 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 01:28 PM

How about Northwest Cable News, which is run by Belo, not a cable company? I suggested that they put it on an OTA subchannel (16.2 in Seattle is currently just a SD 4:3 cropped copy of 16:1), but they didn't respond.

Probably because they (Belo) have given exclusive rights to cable operators for NWCN. OTA subchannels would be nice (Belo has stations in Spokane, Portland and Boise.), but I would rather see Belo and DirecTV cut a deal to include NWCN on the spot beams for the various Northwest markets. Belo would end up with at least as many new viewers as OTA (and better demographics) and DTV would get new content for Northwest subs. Seems like a win-win for everybody.....except the cable companies of course.;)
"A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof. And when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven."

Jean Chrétien, Prime Minister of Canada, 1993 - 2003.

#19 OFFLINE   oldcrooner

oldcrooner

Godfather

• Registered
  • 268 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 01:35 PM

I've been wanting BBC World News for years. Their coverage of world news is superior to anything we have available domestically. Why Directv and most others have been so reluctant to add them to their channel lineups is a real mystery to me. Another good news source not mentioned is the English service of Deutsche Welle from Germany which is also available. ....And no, Al-Jazeera English is not "terrorist TV" as some are prone to call it. I have seen a lot of their programming and have found it to be generally excellent. We can indeed benefit from having access to many and diverse news sources, not just those who serve to reinforce our already established, narrow outlooks.
Men become civilized, not in proportion to their willingness to believe, but in proportion to their readiness to doubt.
--Ambrose Bierce

#20 OFFLINE   pablo

pablo

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 898 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 01:41 PM

And yet another international news source is Japan's NHK World, in English and in HD, I believe. So there's plenty to choose from, should DirecTV want to.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: session

spam firewall