Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New News Channels?

session

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   blackhawkzone

blackhawkzone

Godfather

• Registered
  • 513 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 12:58 PM

IMHO,

- CBC Newsworld. This used to be on DirecTV. It was then bought by a person we cannot mention to present his views on an issue we cannot discuss. I always thought that this channel was a natural. There are 10s of 1000s of Canadians who have retired to Florida, Nevada and Arizona. I always though that a source of news from "back home" would be appreciated, but it apparently was not. I never understood the CBC's view of the world. Stuff that happens in Nova Scotia is somehow more important to somebody in British Columbia than something that happened in Washington State. And complex trade and environment issues that are generally not even discussed in the USA are an all-consuming "crisis" and presented in start black (the USA) and white (Canada) terms..

Most canadians in the US have a canadian dish up in running, so they are able to follow everything on their own system, since you can get both bell and starchoice in the us pretty easily. There probably really isnt much of a market for a canadian channel in the us for that reason since they can watch their local newscasts for the most part (Canada gives you all the locals and not just one market that the US dishes do).

I know that Bell carries CNN International as one of its news channels and I believe that they have the BBC news channel also.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,703 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 07:39 PM

PCN (Pennsylvania Cable Network) would be cool to have. But I doubt that'll happen.

PCN would be nice to have but it will never happen on D*.
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#43 OFFLINE   djzack67

djzack67

Icon

• Registered
  • 899 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 07:44 PM

would love sky news
Waiting for
BBCA HD

#44 OFFLINE   pablo

pablo

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 899 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 01:32 PM

From the HD anticipation thread:

I learn that my local TWC cable system has just added NHK World HD, which a user here says is great. Here is a press release: http://www.intelsat..../20090910-1.asp.

Maybe DirecTV will as well?

#45 OFFLINE   oldcrooner

oldcrooner

Godfather

• Registered
  • 268 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 04:12 PM

From the HD anticipation thread:

Maybe DirecTV will as well?

We can only hope so. Considering DirecTV's history of apparent aversion towards carrying other international English news channels, I unfortunately can't be too optimistic. :(
Men become civilized, not in proportion to their willingness to believe, but in proportion to their readiness to doubt.
--Ambrose Bierce

#46 OFFLINE   Peter305

Peter305

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 09:45 AM

I'd be happy to see the return of Newsworld International (which was killed off by Al Gore).

I agree 100% but that isn't going to happen. The CBC in Canada has no money to invest in this.

#47 OFFLINE   pablo

pablo

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 899 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 12:55 PM

I just stumbled on Russia Today's website (apparently it's just called RT now), and they have a free live stream of their channel:

http://rt.com/On_Air.html

Having watched for a while, I think this would be a great channel to add. It's news from a different perspective, and going through their archived shows, there are some great panel discussions on all sorts of topics, including this interesting one on the "Hollywoodization" of WW2: http://rt.com/About_...-09/569953.html

Is this channel even available anywhere in the US?

#48 OFFLINE   murry27409

murry27409

Godfather

• Registered
  • 321 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 05:20 PM

This is hardly international, but News 12 New Jersey is in HD. DirecTV doesn't even have it in SD. Living in NJ, I'd love to have it. Is it a cable-only channel like NY1?

I've been on 2 cable systems in NJ, cablevision and service electric. They both carried news 12. I think it's a cablevision entity, so I doubt it will ever be on satellite. (like NY1 is a time warner effort)

When I lived in NYC I had NY1 on time warner. Definitely missed it when i moved to NJ.
HR20-100
HR22-100

#49 OFFLINE   pablo

pablo

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 899 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 05:51 PM

When I lived in NYC I had NY1 on time warner. Definitely missed it when i moved to NJ.

Same here. Would love both of those channels.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: session

Protected By... spam firewall...And...